Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Exhaust gas warning light is alight

Graham

Graham

VIP Member
Hi team,

Off to France for 3 weeks on Saturday, so after work today started getting things organised for the off. The van has spent the last 4 weeks tucked up unused on the drive (the shame of it is insufferable but we've been busy doing other stuff), so I was very surprised to find the 'exhaust gas warning' illuminate on the dashboard when I fired it up. Its the yellow one that looks a bit like an engine (not the dpf one). My van is a 2.5 130. A long run ensued but the lamp hasn't gone out.

Any clues as to what this means would be welcomed. Also - do I have to get it sorted before my 2000 mile jaunt or can it 'safely' wait until I get back?

Cheers

Graham

Best to get it plugged in before you go. Could be something simple that is quick to rectify. I wouldn't advise driving it for 2,000 miles with the warning light on though.

cheers

my van has just been in having a new heater motor, while chatting to the mechanic
he asked if i'd had the exhaust gas problem yet?
no i said, you will he said, very common on the face lift t5.
i asked if they would fit said part before it failed, no they said.
just hope mine fails before the warrenty expires.

Just got off the channel tunnel and engine management light came on... found local VW service dealer by RNS510 and they confirmed that it was the EGR valve. ( T5.1 180 7000km) reset and said no problem to drive with this fault. On entering Germany the light came on again near our destination so no problem I thought as everything seemed ok.
Over night I thought I would get it checked again so contacted VW assist who contacted a local VW service, I was then told to go there.. On arrival they looked at the paper work the French VW service agent gave me, typed at a keyboard only to be told they don't have a licence to look at a California that's under warranty even though a gave VW assist all the details and asked that the service agent has a valve in stock.. not to pleased. The VW garage sent us to another 20km away. on arrival nobody seemed to want to help, then a laptop came out and 3 mechanics all scratching there heads and looking at the engine. they were not happy for us to drive it but said it would take 3 days to repair. We asked if we could drive to Koblenz and for them to arrange for service there which they sort of let us, so reset again and off to Koblenz.
On arrival at the VW service agent in Koblenz we were welcomed by Benjamin who obviously knew we were coming, he checked again with his laptop and said we should not drive it anymore, this was a Friday. we were told that they could do the job Monday and it would take all day. this messed our holiday plans up but Koblenz has a nice campsite and has good cycling paths so not to bad after all.
Monday Sylvia was taken to the hospital to have here valve changed, it was a very anxious day. at 5 we were back at the hospital and everything looked fine, all done..
Benjamin showed me the part changed but not only did they change the valve but all of the manifold where the oil filter fits onto, about as big as a show box. he explained that it all comes as one part and is a redesigned version of the old one as this is a known problem, also a software update was given to the engine.
We would like to thank Benjamin of Nutzfahrzeugzentrum Koblenz for his kind assistance and informative information.
We are now in the black forest with out any warning lights and Sylvia returned 44MPG on the motorway coming down here, best I have ever seen.

Ours lit not long before we were off for five weeks in it - VW Assist/RAC reset it, not had an issue since. It's not always a disaster!

Glad yours was sorted too.

Back