Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Eurotunnel in a Beach

S

Serendipity C

Hi everyone,

We picked up our Beach last Friday and are loving it! Switched from a Fiesta to a Beach so quite a change in drive, and we think its great. I understand what everone says now about driving it with a smile! :D

I'm planning our first big trip in it for April over to France. Our plan is to take the tunnel but I don't know what to book as. (sorry if this has already been discussed, but I could only find posts relating to the SE and not the Beach)

The options seem to be:

Car with roof box/bikes:
Any car (including roof box, roof rack or cycles) over 1.85m in height, used for private, tourist, leisure or business travel. This excludes minibuses, campervans, trailers, caravans, motorcycles and any light commercial goods vehicles carrying commercial goods for resale.
If the height of your vehicle exceeds 1.85m, even though you are not carrying roof box, roof rack or cycles, please select this category.

or

Campervan:
Any vehicle which includes living accommodation (including (without limitation) seats, table, sleeping, cooking and storage facilities).

A Beach doesnt have cooking or storage facilities so I'm hoping to get away with booking as a car. Has anyone ever done this or had problems with this?

Its a £40 difference there and back so not worth it if it causes lots of hassles.

Thanks in advance.

Carol

Pretty sure we booked as a car over 1.85m and had no trouble.

Booked and took my Beach over last July using the tunnel. Booked as a high car and ticked the bikes on back option (as I did). No issues with classification at all either way, I was asked on the way out if I had turned off any gas at the source but explained that only gas was disposable cartridge and they were fine with that.
Glad your enjoying Beach ownership :D

We book as a van normally. There is quite a premium for Camper van.

Also book as a high car and never had a problem.

Thanks Guys :thumb

A high car we will be too.
Can't wait for the first big adventure. (Might have a couple of little trials before we go though)

Hi Carol

Glad your enjoying your Beach we've not had ours long and love it.... :D

Good post very handy to no we can get away with high car.... :bananadance

Cheers

Shaun

Car with roof box.
:thumb

Anyone booked a beach on the euro tunnel recently? We've always booked as a high car but when I tried to book last night for the summer it asked for registration number & says that the classification we've chosen for that vehicle registration is incorrect & wants us to book as a campervan. Wondering whether to ring & enquire or just accept the extra cost.

Is there an extra cost?

I thought that if you went into the "over 1.83" part the fare was the same regardless.

Is there an extra cost?

I thought that if you went into the "over 1.83" part the fare was the same regardless.

Yes it was about £165 return for a high car over 1.85m with bikes and £250 for a campervan which I'm sure wasn't a category option last summer so think they've sneaked it in!

Goodness,

I pay £54 each way. £74 if I go peak time. Ok, it is a "frequent tunneller" fare as I cross over most months, but still a big difference.

Defiantly worth giving them a ring and speaking to a real person. I booked using Tesco vouchers a month ago and initially was told campervan but after explaining a bit further what the Beach is the nice lady changed it to high car .

But I pay £54 for a campervan. £11 supplement compared to what I pay for my BMW 1 series.

My in laws have a VW Kombi van and recently tried to book the eurotunnel as a car and also as a van and it didn't accept either. When they called and explained their setup wasn't a minibus as the system suggested, they were advised to book and click the option for "don't know car registration" and select the category they thought was most appropriate. We therefore have just done the same as we travelled as a high car last year.

Back