Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

European Cali front window blinds...

Hannick said:
Is there a new type of VW windscreen blind? I asked a dealer and they checked and said all they could get was a 2012 spec blind Part No. (7E8 862 761A11S).

Can anyone let me know if there is a different blind available to the one we have with the two black poles?

Thanks.

The newer blind doesn't have poles.
It has two pockets at the top that fit over the sun visor and a padded hem that tucks where the dash/window meets.
I like it ! Not perfect but packs into a little bundle and fairly easy to fit.

Any chance of a photo?

Might there even be a part number on it somewhere?

Many thanks.

Alberto said:
If there is anyone out there that can post a picture showing the installed location of the blind's lower bracket (the bracket that is fixed to the dash) I would appreciate it.

With this information, I can ask the dealer to move the bracket to the correct location.

Thank you!

Here are some photos of the bracket on my 2013 French-market Cali.
PM me if you want more detail.
I was surprised to see the bracket is not in the middle of the plastic moulding!
P1000403_zpsca2dbfc0.jpg
P1000405_zps66c39f84.jpg
P1000406_zps68f9b9d8.jpg
P1000408_zps3fad0a7e.jpg
P1000409_zpsed972931.jpg

On the original question - I would not recommend spending any money to install the LHD blinds.
As far as I can see, most members of the French Forum have stopped using them & prefer after-market items.
My own experience, in 6 months usage, is pretty negative.
Either blind individually can be pulled out & clipped to the retaining magnet OK.
But trying to get both blinds clipped simultaneously takes a lot of trial & error.
Unclipping is similarly extremely difficult.
If you let either blind out of it's clip without holding it carefully (& there are 2...) it will fly back & probably tear.
Those who continue to use these blinds ALWAYS add a safety item (loop of strapping) to keep the 2 blinds together if knocked out of the magnet catch, but that doesn't help if you have already removed it to try to stow the blinds, or not yet attached it during assembly.
Getting the handles back in the indents in the screen pillars takes LOTS of trial & error, as the blinds do not roll back straight.
I had to draw indelible black lines on mine to guide me when stowing them.

Next visit to VW will involve discussions about why they are so difficult to install/release on the magnets & why they tear if accidentally released...

2CV67, many thanks for taking the trouble to share pictures.
This was a great help for me!

My bus has been at the dealer all this week, sorting out the dreaded blistering paint.
Now all sorted and looking great.

So I waited to get the bus back to measure up ....

Dealer confirmed location is correct, it is same location as yours
(except for your 10mm offset, I think this might be a misplacement)

Picture attached for reference.

In conclusion, VW has not done a good job with the Euro front blind.
Very difficult to use, coverage over the screen not complete, gaps in some areas.
Also very difficult to stow away, usually takes 3 attempts to align correctly.

Blind Bracket.JPG

Alberto said:
2CV67, many thanks for taking the trouble to share pictures.
This was a great help for me!

Dealer confirmed location is correct, it is same location as yours
(except for your 10mm offset, I think this might be a misplacement)

I did a bit more measuring and found that:
- The bottom bracket is central in the VEHICLE, as is the mirror.
- The plastic moulding (glove compartment lid etc) is NOT central in the vehicle!
- So the bottom bracket is NOT central in the plastic moulding...
- If your bottom bracket is central in the moulding, it will not be lined up with the mirror at the top.

I just noticed that mine isn't fitted at the centre point of the dash compartment either, but as you say the blinds fit correctly. They must offset the compartment slightly to make space for LHD instrument cluster.

On the wider question of whether they are any good, I cursed them for the first few weeks, because they sprang back at the slightest touch, but now they seem better behaved and I quite like them, although they still need careful management or they crease easily when they roll back up. They don't black out completely, but are handy for privacy and sun protection.

I know this is an oldish post but maybe someone can help as it's on the right track.

I'm looking for part numbers for the N/S and O/S a-pillar covers where the blinds are fitted.

I've had the a-pillar blinds fitted for a while but had the covers flocked which turned out rubbish......., unfortunitly the part numbers were remove at some point so buying new ones is causing some issues.

Anyone know these part numbers???

incarpaul said:
I'm looking for part numbers for the N/S and O/S a-pillar covers where the blinds are fitted.
Anyone know these part numbers???
No garantee, but from here:
http://www.partsbase.org/vw/campmob-typ ... llar-trim/
the part numbers seem to be:
a_pillar_trim_zpsglbyhhi3.jpg

By the way, after 2 years of fumbling, I found out how to deploy the roller-type front blinds without them flying back if not held with a loop of some sort.
You need to:
1. Fit the LH blind pole in the hole on the dash, then in the magnetic holder under the mirror.
2. Fit the RH blind pole in the hole on the dash, but it won't then fit in the magnetic holder...
3. Clip the RH blind pole against the lip in the magnetic holder, rotate the pole so the center is away from the magnet & DON'T LET GO!
4. Rotate the pole of the LH blind also so the center is away from the magnet.
5. Simultaneously rotate both poles into the magnets, when they are safely locked in place.
Removal - simultaneously rotate both poles away from the magnets but only lift them off one at a time...

Thanks 2CV67

Do you know if these all have the slot for the blinds, local TPS have had issues ordering these before for another customer and never got the correct ones, they are a bit reluctant to order again unless I know exactly which part number I need.

Thanks for the guide on using the blinds it was well explained :thumb although I never had a problem with the blinds jumping out but have herd others have.

incarpaul said:
Do you know if these all have the slot for the blinds
Sorry, I have no information.
But my GUESS would be that the LHD parts have slots & the RHD parts don't.

Regarding the concertina blinds, mine is RHD has them but is the Westfalia. I don't use them away on site preferring my Silver Screens but draw the concertina ones when parked at home. What I don't like about them is the frames narrow the view out the windscreen so much so that I was thinking of taking them out. Only thing which stops me is they look part of the door pillar and soon as i unscrewed something it would all explode with springs and bits everywhere. I preferred the cloth magnate ones on my Cali. :thumb

I know that this is an old thread but has anyone got a picture of the magnetic piece fitted to the bottom of the mirror please? I've recently purchased all the parts to retrofit, i know that they are not available in the uk, ive just come back from spain and saw loads but never thought about it until i was at the airport to come home:headbang

I know that this is an old thread but has anyone got a picture of the magnetic piece fitted to the bottom of the mirror please? I've recently purchased all the parts to retrofit, i know that they are not available in the uk, ive just come back from spain and saw loads but never thought about it until i was at the airport to come home:headbang

This may help your search (no 10 or 11)
8e071dd6e155a1f959a2aefbc8a7ad9c.jpg

87d9b05e5d43d8c1e311aa3647bb0e58.jpg

A1CE5ADD-6DBC-4B6B-B5E0-FC5D2A324D78.jpeg
This may help your search (no 10 or 11)
8e071dd6e155a1f959a2aefbc8a7ad9c.jpg

87d9b05e5d43d8c1e311aa3647bb0e58.jpg
Doesn’t really help much, I need to see where it fits to get the correct location, I’ve got all the bits and all seem self explanatory except for this bit to fit with the autodimming mirror

I wonder if anyone has tried to fit the T6 ones to a T5?

Back