Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

European Cali front window blinds...

burko73

burko73

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi

I'm in France and there's a lot of French, German and Dutch calis over here.

All of them that ive seen (except 1) have the front window blinds built in to the front windscreen (A) pillars and they pull across and fasten in the middle.

The only real headache/ idesign flaw in ours is the front window cover. Putting on/ taking off is an ar@e at the best and it got me thinking can the euro pillars be retrofit, why are they not specked on the gb Cali? I guess it has something to do with the euro plush dashboard? Can it be done?

What's the reason it's not standaard in a Cali deliverd in the UK?

I think it's something to do with the different vehicles they are based on, but someone with more knowledge than me will be on here shortly I'm sure :D

Could be done on the pre-facelift with some minor modifications to the new A-trim pillars at the bottom.

Not a simple job but very do-able.

I've a parts list somewhere I'll try dig out.

Not sure about the Facelift version.

Think it is something like:

UK T5 has a UK Dash - it was worth making a UK dash for as there are loads of UK T5's

The cali, is based on a LHD T5, with a UK t5 dash shoehorned in. This is why our sliding door on the "wrong" side - it was not worth designing a cali interior reversed for the RHD market.

So we have a LHD Van with a RHD dash - so I guess that the A pillar design of the LHD dash does not marry up correctly to the RHD dash.

The 2012 and newer UK Calis do have a different design for the front window blinds:
- THe side ones attach with magnets which are very easy and quite cool
- The front one has done away with the sticks which keep it rigid - instead the new one is kept tight by stuffing it down the front of the dash - not necessarily better, but different :)

2012 bodges still rubbish compared to pull across blinds on euro vans....

European Cali's have the Multivan Dash which is not fitted to RHD Vehicles - VW obviously thought it was't worth it.

VW California - Multivan Comfortline
Beach - Multivan Startline - which has the Transporter Dash no matter what country you buy it in.

The dash recess is different and in turn the A Pillar trim is different - and that's where the blinds are. The dash also gives you a cooled storage compartment for bottles of water/drink.

It can be done - it just involves some cutting.

James

Just returned from Dusseldorf show with the new Calis with the pillar blinds on show. Was not impressed with them and prefer the magnate side and front ones which clip over the sunvisors. I think the new ones are too flimsy, let too much light in with big gaps up top of windscreen then need to let down sunvisor to try to cover up some of the gap. By the way , I don't think VW Cali have nothing to fear of the new Hymer VW Cape Town, quality was way below Cali and the roof conversion is nowhere as good as the Cali. Only my opinion of course. :D Paul1

Paul1 said:
Just returned from Dusseldorf show with the new Calis with the pillar blinds on show. Was not impressed with them and prefer the magnate side and front ones which clip over the sunvisors. I think the new ones are too flimsy, let too much light in with big gaps up top of windscreen then need to let down sunvisor to try to cover up some of the gap.

Well, I looked at both RHD transporter dash and LHD multivan dash models when I was in the market for a second hand Cali, and for me there was no question which was the better solution. Which is why I ended up with a LHD.

There are small gaps at the top when the blinds are across, it's true, but the sunvisors swing down to cover them up pretty efficiently and the mirror does the job in the middle. I think it's a pretty cool solution.

If anyone is put off by the blind situation with RHD, I thoroughly recommend checking out a LHD. I much prefer the multivan dash too, with the big bottle holder and car-like appearance. But I think the biggest thing for me was the ease with which you can swivel the passenger seat around without having to faff with handbrake etc. With RHD, you either swivel the passenger seat around and have limited leg room because of kitchen unit, or you faff around with handbrake and steering wheel with the driver seat.

Of course I understand there are those who would rather not drive a LHD. But if LHD is not an issue, than this is the set up the Cali was designed for I think it's fair to say. There are a lot of advantages.

I like the front window blinds on my uk Cali... :cool

After a bit of practice they go up as easy as pie.
I also like the curtain affect you get.
The light that seeps in the windscreen from the slight gaps I think gives a cosy feel.
Also the heavy fabric adds to the acoustics when listening to the stereo before dropping off.. :thumb

I agree with Paul1.

I've also just returned from the Dusseldorf show, I was obviously keen to checkout the German California and any gizmos we might not have in the UK.

Firstly, apart from the Dash, there's not a huge amount of difference. The built in windscreen blinds are too narrow and leave gaps top and bottom, good for a quick fix, but not blackout which is my preference.

Disappointed with VW in Germany, still not demonstrating the California to its true potential, I guess they don't need to, the closest competitior I could see was Westfalia and their Mercedes conversion, they have put some real thought into it, shame they don't do the same with a T5!

Rilla said:
I agree with Paul1.
Firstly, apart from the Dash, there's not a huge amount of difference. The built in windscreen blinds are too narrow and leave gaps top and bottom, good for a quick fix, but not blackout which is my preference.

Yes, I can see that there are pluses and minuses. But the thing is, with LHD, you have the choice. You can always buy a blackout screen if you'd prefer. RHD = no choice. I don't know why anyone would prefer that. :?:

Krispy said:
Rilla said:
I agree with Paul1.

Yes, I can see that there are pluses and minuses. But the thing is, with LHD, you have the choice. You can always buy a blackout screen if you'd prefer. RHD = no choice. I don't know why anyone would prefer that. :?:

I agree, but unfortunately us RHD buyers don't get the choice!

If I had a choice - I'd say the LHD is a better vehicle - it is how the Cali was meant to be and the Multivan Dash is much smarter.

But...

If it was my daily driver, I'd be a little less convinced. I've driven LHD and whilst it doesn't present a major headache - for a vehicle with some big blind spots, I'd still prefer RHD.

I know many many many people here drive LHD everyday and it is fine but I'd been on the motorway behind the LHD T4 as it drifts across lanes because the driver is trying to orientate himself.

I think for occasional holiday touring use - I'd be tempted by LHD but then you've got to locate one and if you are not in the know, that can be tricky.

As ever it is personal choice. I would have considered a leftie Beach if they'd not been available in the UK but I'd really have to have thought about it.

James

I had a very good nose around an Edition 25 German Cali in France; we got to know the owners pretty well.

The LHD dash definitely looks better in pics but up close I think it actually looks very plasticky; yes it's more car like but that car is a Polo.

The windscreen bling again looks good but the owner (Franz) wasn't convinced and said it's a pain to set up and doesn't give much cover. So again it looks better but in reality it isn't.

I thought the Heath Robinson comedy blind was a bit of a joke when we got the Cali but having looked around at other stuff, it's actually not bad - it does the job and stashes away in a tiny bag. The side window blinds work well too. I'm not sure how long it will last but it's better than I though it would be even if it feels rather low rent.

Couldn't be bothered with external screens as it's just another thing to dry out/get mucky/scuff paint.

KernowLad said:
The LHD dash definitely looks better in pics but up close I think it actually looks very plasticky; yes it's more car like but that car is a Polo.

The windscreen bling again looks good but the owner (Franz) wasn't convinced and said it's a pain to set up and doesn't give much cover. So again it looks better but in reality it isn't.

And the transporter dash doesn't look plasticky?

Polo dash vs builders van dash. Inbuilt blinds (plus option of same windscreen cover as UK model if preferred) vs
windscreen cover only. Whatever floats your boat, yanks your crank etc. In the end, as long as everyone is happy and love prevails, that's all that matters.

Krispy said:
KernowLad said:

And the transporter dash doesn't look plasticky?

Polo dash vs builders van dash. Inbuilt blinds (plus option of same windscreen cover as UK model if preferred) vs
windscreen cover only. Whatever floats your boat, yanks your crank etc. In the end, as long as everyone is happy and love prevails, that's all that matters.

It's only an opinion but based on a good look around a LHD Cali. When I saw pics of the LHD Cali I thought it looked great - but having seen a well lived in one, it doesn't wear as well as a RHD Cali dash.

Our RHD dash is crap compared to the LHD one.

On my 2010 Cali I have now binned my VW window screens as they are simply useless and potential dash scratchers......I have got hold if a set of the new type from my dealer.......

BerndRos said:
Our RHD dash is crap compared to the LHD one.

On my 2010 Cali I have now binned my VW window screens as they are simply useless and potential dash scratchers......I have got hold if a set of the new type from my dealer.......

Care to expand?! :lol:

Are the new type of screen any good? Happy with the side ones but I can see myself trashing the front one pretty soon - but it works for now.

Kernow......

The LHD dash is better shaped, better presented and clearly more durable.....

It's obvious to anyone that has seen one...

As for the front blind....it's lunacy...there is so much tension that mine kept pocking out at either end and scratching the dash.....I had to keep sewing it up......while my warranty works were carried out VW replaced mine free for the latest type.....

BerndRos said:
Kernow......

The LHD dash is better shaped, better presented and clearly more durable.....

It's obvious to anyone that has seen one...

As for the front blind....it's lunacy...there is so much tension that mine kept pocking out at either end and scratching the dash.....I had to keep sewing it up......while my warranty works were carried out VW replaced mine free for the latest type.....

My mother in law sewed ours a couple of times shortly after we bought ours but has been fine since.
No scratches that I've noticed. I quite like ours and leave it made up on the top bunk so I only have to fish it out and put it in position.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Remi blinds for T5 windscreen are available from Reimo. A bit pricy at €300+. Cab side screens will be available soon.

Is there a new type of VW windscreen blind? I asked a dealer and they checked and said all they could get was a 2012 spec blind Part No. (7E8 862 761A11S).

Can anyone let me know if there is a different blind available to the one we have with the two black poles?

Thanks.

Like Freely we store our screen cover (and side window covers) in the roof. The screen cover is left made up and the side covers are left flat so easy to put up there. And when you arrive fixing is easy...... No scratches that we are aware of. And they take up no space when travelling.
We used to have an internal silver screen for the T4, which was a big lump to store when travelling and was a pain to fix.
We try to travel light and keep it simple and the VW covers do that for us.

I live in Germany and own a Cali that has the front blinds integrated to the a-pillars. The magnetic attachment at the base of the rear view mirror is working (but tricky), however the dealer fitted the bottom bracket onto the dashboard, since this part was missing.

I think the dealer has fitted the bracket in the wrong place, the blinds do not fit in a tidy way when closed.

If there is anyone out there that can post a picture showing the installed location of the blind's lower bracket (the bracket that is fixed to the dash) I would appreciate it.

With this information, I can ask the dealer to move the bracket to the correct location.

Thank you!

Back