Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Europe in 2021

Also nice to have a couple of shops & places to eat within a few minutes walk.

Also nice to have a couple of shops & places to eat within a few minutes walk.
Unfortunately we only stayed for about 3 days. 2 were spent on site chilling and the other paddling down the river. Didn’t walk to any shops or restaurants. Did head up the Chateau once when we packed up and left the campsite. Stunning views!

Writing this makes me want to go back! We could stay for a few days on the way back from Agde if we decide to go.

We are steering clear of the EU for the next two years at least. If we go anywhere during 2021/22 it will be USA, Canada or to NZ. The reality will most likely be staying in the UK and supporting the UK economy. For those that wish to go to the EU - enjoy.

We are steering clear of the EU for the next two years at least. If we go anywhere during 2021/22 it will be USA, Canada or to NZ. The reality will most likely be staying in the UK and supporting the UK economy. For those that wish to go to the EU - enjoy.
Why only 2 years?
And how will you transport your Cali to the USA, Canada and NZ?
That would be a great trip.

It may be longer, I said "at least". No van to NZ as their import, even temporary, requirements are very onerous. Very easy to transport from Southampton to Baltimore on a RoRo transporter. Takes 10 days and one can meet the ship in Baltimore. The service is quite frequent. So long as you are going to re-export back to the UK the "temporary import" requirements are quite doable. USA insurance is not difficult and can be obtained from a US broker. If going for 2-3 months then it is lower cost to ship both ways than to hire an RV in the US. Entry into Canada from USA under a temporary import notice is also not difficult. So USA and Canada all very doable.

It may be longer, I said "at least". No van to NZ as their import, even temporary, requirements are very onerous. Very easy to transport from Southampton to Baltimore on a RoRo transporter. Takes 10 days and one can meet the ship in Baltimore. The service is quite frequent. So long as you are going to re-export back to the UK the "temporary import" requirements are quite doable. USA insurance is not difficult and can be obtained from a US broker. If going for 2-3 months then it is lower cost to ship both ways than to hire an RV in the US. Entry into Canada from USA under a temporary import notice is also not difficult. So USA and Canada all very doable.
I sold my old Cali to a chap in N/Z he imported it pretty easy and it wasn’t stupid money either (can’t remember cost now).
Im very tempted to head there in the future.

Return cost Southampton to Baltimore on a RoRo transporter is about USD2000. Insurance about USD500. Hiring a basic US RV from Cruise America for 2 months would be close to USD7000 once one adds in options. A Cruise America RV is a gas guzzler and a half, so would save a packet on fuel as well.

Hi, I was sat wondering the other day, if possible are people going to take their Cali to Europe in summer 2021.
Where are you planning to visit and have you booked any travel yet.
We were hoping to return to Norway and do the Lofoten islands. Probably Scotland/Wales/The Lakes now.

I could almost have cut-n-paste this as my answer. Planning a 2 week trip mid July. Vendee region for a week, 6 days in the Dordogne and back via Loire to replenish the wine stocks at a vinyard I found a couple of years back.

Not spent any (more) money yet. The ferry I had voucher from cancelled 2020 trip and the Dordogne campsite have transferred the deposit to this year.

Any campsite recommendations for Ile de Re or Oleron? It’s not an area I’ve ever visited. I've been following the Vendee Globe yacht race for last 80 days so their region sponsorship must have worked on me.
Sadly Wine stock now limited to 18ltrs. per person Joys of Brexit.

Doubt if the fresh water tank gets checked for contents.

Last edited:
Sadly Wine stock now limited to 16ltrs. Joys of Brexit.

Drink beer - real ale locally produced.

Duty Free allowance/person​

Alcohol​

• 42 litres of beer
  • 18 litres of still wine
  • 4 litres of spirits OR 9 litres of sparkling wine, fortified wine or any alcoholic beverage less than 22% ABV
Plus you should be able to buy any amount of EU alcoholic beverages ex EU taxes and declare to UK customs and pay UK taxes if you wish.

Wine is 18 litres each. Theres 3 in our van over 17 so 54 litres total = 77 bottles, just means we might have to pop over the channel a bit more frequently.

Through France and on to Spain fingers crossed.... June/July?? August...

We stayed in Camping Les Méditerranées in Marseillan Plage in 2019, the Beach Garden campsite. They have an area at the back of the site for camper vans that overlooks the beach and is really lovely. The beach is lovely with nice coffee shops and restaurants a short beach walk. Very close to Cap d'Agde and the village of Marseillan is really lovely. Loads to see and visit close by in the area. Will definitely go back in our GC 680 as part of our grand tour of Europe - cant wait

We stayed in Camping Les Méditerranées in Marseillan Plage in 2019, the Beach Garden campsite. They have an area at the back of the site for camper vans that overlooks the beach and is really lovely. The beach is lovely with nice coffee shops and restaurants a short beach walk. Very close to Cap d'Agde and the village of Marseillan is really lovely. Loads to see and visit close by in the area. Will definitely go back in our GC 680 as part of our grand tour of Europe - cant wait
Thanks... looks lovely.

Thank you.. I will take a look and good to hear you love the Agde area. Is it nice around the Marina?

With 3 kids, we used to mainly stay on the big sites but after staying at Le Capeyrou a couple of years back we have been converted!
We never went to the Marina, we've just been to beaches in the area. Having previously visited the French Riviera we much preferred this area as it's much less developed. Beach Garden at Marseillan Plage is def. on the list now. @Moonlight Motel which option did you select to get the Campervan area?

We never went to the Marina, we've just been to beaches in the area. Having previously visited the French Riviera we much preferred this area as it's much less developed. Beach Garden at Marseillan Plage is def. on the list now. @Moonlight Motel which option did you select to get the Campervan area?
Lemondrop
We didnt select any option as we didnt pre book - we just showed up!!! It was in September so it wasnt really busy

School holidays are July 23 to 31 August. If camping in France is possible we will go for at least two weeks with the remainder of the holiday dinghy sailing on Chichester Harbour.
Second half of August is relatively quiet. Otherwise, stay away from the coast.

I suggest all UK residents holiday in the UK this year. What ever side one is on re the European Question British businesses have taken a hammering over the last 12 months. They and the UK economy really need our support in 2021, those across the sea can wait.

What happens to those who booked a holiday LAST year then because they couldn’t go and faced losing their money then moved it on to 2021. Now face losing their money again or moving it on to 2022 or maybe 2023. Or........

I suggest all UK residents holiday in the UK this year. What ever side one is on re the European Question British businesses have taken a hammering over the last 12 months. They and the UK economy really need our support in 2021, those across the sea can wait.
I have a feeling that if we can travel for holidays, there will be enough of us to go around, both home and abroad.

I have a feeling that if we can travel for holidays, there will be enough of us to go around, both home and abroad.
Each must make their own decision. We lost a lot on a booked holiday to NZ and Australia. In our case, taking it on the chin, will do our best to support the UK, move forward.

The Covid situation will dictate where we can go but i’d want to explore both home AND abroad and I’m sure many of our EU friends will want to visit the UK if allowed. (Even if they can’t bring their fromage et jambon baguettes with them).