Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Europe in 2021

2haw

2haw

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
We stayed in Camping Les Méditerranées in Marseillan Plage in 2019, the Beach Garden campsite. They have an area at the back of the site for camper vans that overlooks the beach and is really lovely. The beach is lovely with nice coffee shops and restaurants a short beach walk. Very close to Cap d'Agde and the village of Marseillan is really lovely. Loads to see and visit close by in the area. Will definitely go back in our GC 680 as part of our grand tour of Europe - cant wait
Thanks... looks lovely.

LemonDrop

LemonDrop

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Thank you.. I will take a look and good to hear you love the Agde area. Is it nice around the Marina?

With 3 kids, we used to mainly stay on the big sites but after staying at Le Capeyrou a couple of years back we have been converted!
We never went to the Marina, we've just been to beaches in the area. Having previously visited the French Riviera we much preferred this area as it's much less developed. Beach Garden at Marseillan Plage is def. on the list now. @Moonlight Motel which option did you select to get the Campervan area?

Moonlight Motel

Moonlight Motel

Vehicle
Grand California 680
We never went to the Marina, we've just been to beaches in the area. Having previously visited the French Riviera we much preferred this area as it's much less developed. Beach Garden at Marseillan Plage is def. on the list now. @Moonlight Motel which option did you select to get the Campervan area?
Lemondrop
We didnt select any option as we didnt pre book - we just showed up!!! It was in September so it wasnt really busy

Romke

Making the Most of our Coast
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Coast 150 4Motion
School holidays are July 23 to 31 August. If camping in France is possible we will go for at least two weeks with the remainder of the holiday dinghy sailing on Chichester Harbour.
Second half of August is relatively quiet. Otherwise, stay away from the coast.

Wildcamper

Wildcamper

Vehicle
Please Select
I suggest all UK residents holiday in the UK this year. What ever side one is on re the European Question British businesses have taken a hammering over the last 12 months. They and the UK economy really need our support in 2021, those across the sea can wait.

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
What happens to those who booked a holiday LAST year then because they couldn’t go and faced losing their money then moved it on to 2021. Now face losing their money again or moving it on to 2022 or maybe 2023. Or........

Dr-Snickers

Dr-Snickers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
I suggest all UK residents holiday in the UK this year. What ever side one is on re the European Question British businesses have taken a hammering over the last 12 months. They and the UK economy really need our support in 2021, those across the sea can wait.
I have a feeling that if we can travel for holidays, there will be enough of us to go around, both home and abroad.

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
The Covid situation will dictate where we can go but i’d want to explore both home AND abroad and I’m sure many of our EU friends will want to visit the UK if allowed. (Even if they can’t bring their fromage et jambon baguettes with them).

Dr-Snickers

Dr-Snickers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Each must make their own decision. We lost a lot on a booked holiday to NZ and Australia. In our case, taking it on the chin, will do our best to support the UK, move forward.
Of course, and we too will be spending as much time as we can in the UK this year, in our Cali. So sorry you couldn't go on what sounds like an amazing trip. My parents in law missed out on their trip of a lifetime around the Far East last Spring, so I understand just how frustrating and expensive these things can be.

I'm also very aware that trying to book UK campsites last summer, let alone other accommodation, proved quite tricky for many and that there might not be enough capacity for everyone to holiday at peak times in the UK. We also have heard some horrendous stories about inconsiderate people causing chaos for some communities who were already full up, giving the whole camper van/motorhome community a bad rep in the process.

Hopefully, we can all look forward to the adventures to come, and doing our best to be considerate to one another in the process.:thumb

N

NessL

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Each must make their own decision. We lost a lot on a booked holiday to NZ and Australia. In our case, taking it on the chin, will do our best to support the UK, move forward.
Recommend booking with Trailfinders next time. We had a big expensive holiday booked last Easter. Full refund with no quibbles.

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Recommend booking with Trailfinders next time. We had a big expensive holiday booked last Easter. Full refund with no quibbles.
Unfortunately Brittany Ferries’s don’t look at the refund system the same way as package holiday companies. However you book with them you are going to lose at least a quarter up to the Full amount.
Luckily we had travel insurance so if the worst comes to the worst we won’t lose everything just the excess.

66tim99

66tim99

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
What happens to those who booked a holiday LAST year then because they couldn’t go and faced losing their money then moved it on to 2021. Now face losing their money again or moving it on to 2022 or maybe 2023. Or........
Yes just decided to rebook a 2020 Egypt diving holiday for the last week of August...they already have my deposit so nothing to lose. Fingers crossed.

JunglieD

JunglieD

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just booked the following for school summer holiday - there’ll be plenty of UK weekends too, but keeping everything crossed that this goes ahead although I recognise it’s a shot in the dark:

1) Poole-Cherbourg return
2) 6-nights in the Vendee (Camping La Garangeoire)
3) 8-nights in the Dordogne (Les Gorges du Chambon)

Romke

Making the Most of our Coast
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Coast 150 4Motion
The Covid situation will dictate where we can go but i’d want to explore both home AND abroad and I’m sure many of our EU friends will want to visit the UK if allowed. (Even if they can’t bring their fromage et jambon baguettes with them).
Don't think so. And it's not Covid-related.
Up to now I've been able to travel to the UK with my European ID card, a European driving license and my EHIC (European Health Insurance Card).
If I want to travel to the UK now I will have to buy an expensive passport, try to figure out where I can find an international driving license, spend money on travel insurance, and I’m not even sure if I can go to the UK with our dog.

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Don't think so. And it's not Covid-related.
Up to now I've been able to travel to the UK with my European ID card, a European driving license and my EHIC (European Health Insurance Card).
If I want to travel to the UK now I will have to buy an expensive passport, try to figure out where I can find an international driving license, spend money on travel insurance, and I’m not even sure if I can go to the UK with our dog.
Yes but these are things that brits have been doing all along, apart from the International driving license. Our passports are last time I looked £75.
Travel insurance and breakdown costs us £12.50 a month. We still have the EHIC card but that’s just a backup. The cat stays at home....

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
+1 for Trailfinders. We had a trip booked with them last year and they immediately refunded when it became clear it was a no-go. Have used them a couple of times and found them excellent. I hope they survive and come out the other end of the pandemic.

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Yes but these are things that brits have been doing all along, apart from the International driving license. Our passports are last time I looked £75.
Travel insurance and breakdown costs us £12.50 a month. We still have the EHIC card but that’s just a backup. The cat stays at home....
Not really a valid comparison IMO. As a Brit, if I want to take my Cali touring outside my own country - okay other than in Ireland - I'll have to get all those docs arranged, I have no choice. If like Romke I lived in say France or the NL or Germany I still have 30 other countries inside the single market area that I can jump in the van and hang out in without any of that palaver. So in future I'd be less likely to consider the UK as a destination for a short break with the van, or even maybe a longer one.

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Not really a valid comparison IMO. As a Brit, if I want to take my Cali touring outside my own country - okay other than in Ireland - I'll have to get all those docs arranged, I have no choice. If like Romke I lived in say France or the NL or Germany I still have 30 other countries inside the single market area that I can jump in the van and hang out in without any of that palaver. So in future I'd be less likely to consider the UK as a destination for a short break with the van, or even maybe a longer one.
Everyone has the choice where they want to go in normal times.But these are far from normal in many ways and the UK not being in Europe is only one of them. Everyone whether you travel to the UK from Europe or to Europe from the UK has to expect from now on and probably for a number of years there will be more red tape and more costs..The joys of travel..