engine webasto not working

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi ,I've had a quick search and lots of confusion on engine heating but i'm sure I have a problem. i'm definitely talking about the webasto engine coolant heater. mine doesn't seem to fire up. I have full fuel tank,good batteries and below 5 degrees but nothing. I used to hear it on my beach so know the noise to look out for and the exhaust under the passenger wheel well. i'm guessing this is a vw diagnostic job but any thoughts ?

From the right hand side of the car, lay down on your knees with a flash light. Look underneath the car to pinpoint where the small exhaust are located. Then from the left hand side of the car, reach in underneath the car, and put your hand under the small exhaust pipe to check if the Webasto are running or not...

Hi ,I've had a quick search and lots of confusion on engine heating but i'm sure I have a problem. i'm definitely talking about the webasto engine coolant heater. mine doesn't seem to fire up. I have full fuel tank,good batteries and below 5 degrees but nothing. I used to hear it on my beach so know the noise to look out for and the exhaust under the passenger wheel well. i'm guessing this is a vw diagnostic job but any thoughts ?
I always thought the exhaust under passenger side was the night heater

My Webasto thermotop C exhaust is on the left of centre of my 2015 beach (passenger side uk and drive side EU). I can hear mine when its going its almost like a quiet whistling noise and on a cold day you will see the exhaust fumes.

As I understand it they are like the parking heaters and can use a run every month, of course they may not get that if it never gets below 5c. Error codes will show and my understand is that a webasto engineer can force start them and give them a cleaning run.

Some manuals here:
https://www.butlertechnik.com/technical_library/thermo-top-c-d27

The manual says to check coolant levels as a trouble shooting action and also fuses. Im sure someone cleverer than me, will know which fuse to check :)

well thanks for that loz. update is I checked today and temp was 1.5 so I thought i'd have another go. seems the heater is working,it seems much quieter than i'm used to so hard to spot it running and no smoke at all,went for a drive and it warmed up quick so looks like I saved myself looking like a dick at the van centre. cheers all

Reactions: Loz
well thanks for that loz. update is I checked today and temp was 1.5 so I thought i'd have another go. seems the heater is working,it seems much quieter than i'm used to so hard to spot it running and no smoke at all,went for a drive and it warmed up quick so looks like I saved myself looking like a dick at the van centre. cheers all
Was it the fuse?

Was it the fuse?
No. I think it either wasn't quite cold enough for the sensor to kick it in or a combination of me not hearing it but at 1.5 degrees the engine warmed much faster so I stopped somewhere quiet and I could hear it running. Just. Very very quiet it was and no start up smoke. But I did at least learn where the fuse was. I can't believe there isn't an led light or something to indicate it's running or faulty. It's just guess work with that. I bet some webasto never run and owners don't notice any different.

If its any help I have been able to do a couple of comparisons this week, ambient below five and the engine up to temp within 3 miles, ambient above five and coolant temp took the best part of 9 miles, all on the same route, different days.

Does anyone know a modification to allow you to pre-heat the engine (using the Webasto coolant heater) before you start it?

Thanks Loz. I’m googling Telestart now...
Did you fit one yourself?
I’ve fitted a eberspacher diesel heater in a Mercedes Sprinter from scratch, so have some technical ability.

Older post, but seem to have similar issue.
T5 ocean 2012
Constant fan like noise, draws battery dead. Fan does not stop.
Sound comes from down the engine bay and from (EU) driver side behind the wheel.
Fan stops when I pulled fuse 29 (20Amp) in middle console, bottom section.

I understand this is likely the coolant heater.

Tomorrow I have access to a Carista, will check what that gives but....

ASK: can I just drive without fuse 29 for about 1.5 month (will get colder) , since have a planned maintenance + road check + dpf filter replacement mid Januari.

Older post, but seem to have similar issue.
T5 ocean 2012
Constant fan like noise, draws battery dead. Fan does not stop.
Sound comes from down the engine bay and from (EU) driver side behind the wheel.
Fan stops when I pulled fuse 29 (20Amp) in middle console, bottom section.

I understand this is likely the coolant heater.

Tomorrow I have access to a Carista, will check what that gives but....

ASK: can I just drive without fuse 29 for about 1.5 month (will get colder) , since have a planned maintenance + road check + dpf filter replacement mid Januari.
Sounds like the control unit is damage (known problem). It is part of the Webasto…

Before a data rest I also saw this error, but that did not came back after data reset.
Had the impression this one is because of battery disconnect I did before I know which fuse to pull.
-----
CAN network gateway:
01207 - Control module for auxiliary heater: No signal/communication

Engine:
04984 - Cylinder 1 Glow Plug Circuit
04985 - Cylinder 2 Glow Plug Circuit

Navigation:
00446 - Function limitation due to insufficient voltage: Lower limit not reached

Radio:
00446 - Function limitation due to insufficient voltage: Lower limit not reached

Heater & air conditioning:
13701440 - Function restriction due to missing message
9474161 - Defroster flap motor: Actuator jammed

Engine
Part #: 03L906022JF
Component: R4 2,0L EDC
Software version: 9108
ASAM/ODX identifier: EV_ECM20BTD01103L906022JF
Coding: 0119401A233400080000 (hex)
Fault codes:
04984 Manufacturer-specific code
04985 Manufacturer-specific code
-----

After I did a data reset and did a clean read out with the Carista, the below is what remains.
When plugin in the 29 (20A) fuse it immediately started to 'blow' again.
Fuse is out again after the new read-out.

ASKs;
1. would a update the CAN gateway installation list be good enough?
2. or just broken plug?
3. or worse the auxiliary heater ECU - not present <- should there be one or sign it is broken as a whole?
4. sliding door works fine. Is that controlled from same ECU?

Any hints or experience shared are much appreciated.

-----
CAN network gateway
Part #: 6N0909901
Component: GW-K-CAN TP20
Software version: 0254
ASAM/ODX identifier: [none]
Coding: 042200 (hex)
Fault codes:
01207 Manufacturer-specific code

Heater & air conditioning
Part #: 7E5907040AD
Component: ClimatronicT5
Software version: 0405
ASAM/ODX identifier: EV_ClimatronicT5
Coding: 0004000102 (hex)
Fault codes:
13701440 Manufacturer-specific code

Auxiliary heater
[ECU not present]

Sliding door (right)
[ECU not present]
-----

01207 - Control module for auxiliary heater: No signal/communication
Auxiliary heater
[ECU not present]

These codes also suggest malfunctioning control unit (control module). I’ve heard the circuit board suffer damage from moisture over time. Check the sticker in the door. It’s probably a Webasto ThermoTop C.

If 29 is the coolant heater, Yes you could drive the car without that fuse. But if ambient temperature is below freezing, the engine will almost never reach normal operating temperature (engine will not get warm). This could result in excessive wear and tear on your engine. Some people would say acceptable wear and tear…I don’t know what’s right…

Picture: behind the cover in the red circle is the circuit board of the control unit (ignore the red arrow which is the circulation pump)
IMG_6397.jpeg

Back