Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

engine size

T

T5beach64

Vehicle
T5 Beach
just about to order a new beach ordered all the options but undecided what engine size to go for would love some advice please whats the one to go for ?

Essentially what your needs and wallet desire...

Many will have the lower powered unit and say it will suffice, but other will have the higher powered unit with 4 motion because they want to tow a caravan...

There is no right or wrong answer really...

Essentially what your needs and wallet desire...

Many will have the lower powered unit and say it will suffice, but other will have the higher powered unit with 4 motion because they want to tow a caravan...

There is no right or wrong answer really...
is there much difference on fuel consumtion

Here is something to consider but you will have to translate it into Beach terms.
My 2WD 150 Ocean loses traction very easily from a stand still so a wheel spin start is more frequent than I would like.
How this fairs with the 204 or what ever the current equivalents are I have no idea. Will it be better due to the different dynamics or worse due to even more power? Would 4WD help?
On the plus side and way more significant, the 150 has plenty of torque in the Ocean even when fully loaded for an 8 day trip. By fully loaded I mean 3 people, 1 dog, full fuel tank, full water tank, full ad blue tank, full wardrobe, full fridge, full cupboards, full boot (inflatable sup, driveaway awning, bedding), 3 bikes on VW rack.
Currently, South coast to Peak District at 50 to 85 mph ended up at 40.4MPG with all that lot on the MFD read out. I realise people scrutinise that but it will do for me as a reasonable figure.

Last edited:
Worth noting that the VW Transporter diesel engines range is 84, 102, 150 and 204 bhp. So although the 150 is the smallest engine offered for a Cali, it's actually the second most powerful in the overall Transporter series. I believe the 102 is the biggest seller in the general Transporter van range so that presumably hauls around a load of building materials or whatever quite happily.

I personally doubt that you'd be unhappy with 150 bhp in a Beach.

the 150 engine pulls great. I do easily get stuck in wet grass though with my 2wd. you have to think ahead on the ground you drive on . this summer is the exception. but the engine is great. I would have another 150 no problem. it's usually down to money for most pal. try have a go in both . good luck

Here is something to consider but you will have to translate it into Beach terms.
My 2WD 150 Ocean loses traction very easily from a stand still so a wheel spin start is more frequent than I would like.
How this fairs with the 204 or what ever the current equivalents are I have no idea. Will it be better due to the different dynamics or worse due to even more power? Would 4WD help?
On the plus side and way more significant, the 150 has plenty of torque in the Ocean even when fully loaded for an 8 day trip. By fully loaded I mean 3 people, 1 dog, full fuel tank, full water tank, full ad blue tank, full wardrobe, full fridge, full cupboards, full boot (inflatable sup, driveaway awning, bedding), 3 bikes on VW rack.
Currently, South coast to Peak District at 50 to 85 mph ended up at 40.4MPG with all that lot on the MFD read out. I realise people scrutinise that but it will do for me as a reasonable figure.

I’ll cover a couple of points as I have a 204 4Motion. Firstly I would say 150 is enough. No compromise for me. House to flat, 2 cars to 1 Cali and only use it for decent trips as everything else done on my legs or bike. It’s just an example of how different we all are.
Fuel economy wise my 204 4Motion is very low 30’s but not fussed.
Wheel spin wise I don’t get any and is just one of the reasons I chose 4Motion. Previously owned a powerful Touran and that span up the fronts.
I just advised a friend who was on a budget to go 150 not 4Motion based on his requirements.
I do love mine though

Mike

Had a 150 SE, now a 204 4Motion. Agree with all of the above really....

- You do get less wheel spin with the 4Motion
- 150 is enough
- 204 is nice

You don't need more than 150, but you may want it.......that could be you want it once a year or once a week, that comes down to how you like to drive.

If budget is tight, then there are other options I'd go for first. If budget is not the prime driver in your buying decision, then certainly don't rule the 204 out.

Regarding fuel economy btw...also getting low 30's in the 204 vs high 30's in the 150. As my mileage isn't that high these days, it doesn't really bother me.

Is a 204 beach available? I assumed that you could only get it in 150 flavour in the UK?

There ain’t no replacement for displacement :pinkbanana

I went for the 4motion which happens to be only available in 204 form with DSG.
The reason was I was very surprise how poor the 2wd traction is, it spins the wheels and TC kicks in on bone dry roads.
I would have a manual 150 4 motion if the choice was that or a 2wd DSG.

Back