Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine power cuts when driving - I read online this can be an intermittent fault?

NShep

NShep

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
Hi All,
Can anyone help? My engine cut out with the Engine management light - the coil one - came on whilst driving and I lost power, although it still ticked over. When I started it again it worked, when i look it to VW they said it was the turbo and that it was not heard of, I was just unlucky. I am a week away from finishing a dissertation and then I was due to go camping for two weeks but I just drove it and it cut out again.

Does anybody else know of this fault happening and what the fix is. With turbo, cam belt and a few others it cost a lot of money and VW van garage are being very helpful.

@NShep You really need to fill in your vehicle details (under your name to the left) to get better help. We don't (for example) know if you are under warranty.

Could be sticking variable turbo vanes, causing an overboost fault.

Easily cleaned up.

Thanks, what is a sticking variable turbo vanes? It has a new Turbo in as of last week?

Sorry, my bus is a VW California Beach Blue-motion 2012 - out of warrantee. 54,000miles

I will have to ask them tomorrow. I thought I was doing well knowing what a turbo was, sorry! I was told it was a common problem so I thought people on here might know about it.

Back to the Garage that replaced the turbo unit smartish, for them to fix properly.

Good luck,

Rob H.

Thanks, what is a sticking variable turbo vanes? It has a new Turbo in as of last week?[/QUOT

Possibly manifold pressure sensor but normally turbo vanes sticking.

Last edited:
All VW repairs come with a guarantee, if they didn't fix it properly take it back and complain.
Don't let them replace parts willy nilly, at great expense to yourself, until they happen to replace the correct part. VW who have all the correct equipment are able to trouble shoot your problem and get it right first time.

Hi All,
Can anyone help? My engine cut out with the Engine management light - the coil one - came on whilst driving and I lost power, although it still ticked over. When I started it again it worked, when i look it to VW they said it was the turbo and that it was not heard of, I was just unlucky. I am a week away from finishing a dissertation and then I was due to go camping for two weeks but I just drove it and it cut out again.

Does anybody else know of this fault happening and what the fix is. With turbo, cam belt and a few others it cost a lot of money and VW van garage are being very helpful.

Back