Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine management system

capt kirk

capt kirk

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi chums
My warranty ran out on 27 nov and today after not driving it for a week eml has come on. i have just called vw for advice and they said book it in and we will have a look. They did say vw have been generous with warranties due to covid and vehicles not being used but could attract a diagnosis charge. Any way ive been working in the upper bed so roof has been up and down a few times in the last week and after driving it down to the grocers the light has gone out so I'm guessing the battery was a bit flat. Purely posting this in case anyone else has the same issue and is worried. Its a shame theres nothing obvious to point u to the battery as the culprit or am i missing something.........

If
Hi chums
My warranty ran out on 27 nov and today after not driving it for a week eml has come on. i have just called vw for advice and they said book it in and we will have a look. They did say vw have been generous with warranties due to covid and vehicles not being used but could attract a diagnosis charge. Any way ive been working in the upper bed so roof has been up and down a few times in the last week and after driving it down to the grocers the light has gone out so I'm guessing the battery was a bit flat. Purely posting this in case anyone else has the same issue and is worried. Its a shame theres nothing obvious to point u to the battery as the culprit or am i missing something.........
It started OK then unlikely to be the cause.

I presume that you had the engine running when operating the roof.

Short start>run times may have sooted up the system and your run may have had a regen or simply cleared the soot out before it became critical.

Time will tell I guess.

Have you got access to anyone with an OBD reader - Carista, OBDEleven, etc? This would let you know what the problem is.
I had my coil/EML light up on 21/11, along with a loss of power. My OBDEleven gave a manifold flap closed fault.
My two nearest dealers couldn't look at it until next week (7/12). But they advised me not to drive it, even to the garage!
I rang VW Assist, they let me rejoin, and they came out on the day (there was a supplement).
They attended, confirmed the readings, and it got trailered off the same day and a hire car arranged.
New manifold being fitted - extended warranty covering.
I can't fault VW Assist, they took a weight of my mind. Might be worth considering?
I could have had a hire car for the best part of two weeks from VW Assist, but as I am working from home, I haven't kept it - it wouldn't have moved off the drive!

Have you got access to anyone with an OBD reader - Carista, OBDEleven, etc? This would let you know what the problem is.
I had my coil/EML light up on 21/11, along with a loss of power. My OBDEleven gave a manifold flap closed fault.
My two nearest dealers couldn't look at it until next week (7/12). But they advised me not to drive it, even to the garage!
I rang VW Assist, they let me rejoin, and they came out on the day (there was a supplement).
They attended, confirmed the readings, and it got trailered off the same day and a hire car arranged.
New manifold being fitted - extended warranty covering.
I can't fault VW Assist, they took a weight of my mind. Might be worth considering?
I could have had a hire car for the best part of two weeks from VW Assist, but as I am working from home, I haven't kept it - it wouldn't have moved off the drive!
Just realised i hadn't followed this up so heres what the cause was.
Something had eaten the wires to the exhaust sensors. Thought they would have been protected but obviously not. Now i have noticed next doors cat sitting under the van clawing at something so going to have a look to see if protection can be added.

On the subject of 'eaten wires', my parent's van recently went in for repair and the culprit was rodent damage to the wiring. The guy at the garage said the wire's coating was made with something that had fish oils in it. They can't enclose them further because they would overheat. Unfortunately, the mice love them. They had two vehicles in the same week with rodent damage to the wiring.

God knows how you stop that happening...

An optional fit

I recall a thread on here about it as a big problem in Alpine Region. (Italy)

Back