Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electrical interface option for new Beach

jonroe

jonroe

VIP Member
Hi,

We are about to order our first California, a Beach. There is an option in the brochure called "Electrical Interface". The explanation given by our nearest dealer for this option was rather unclear. I wondered if anyone here is able to give a clearer explanation. :?

Hi Jon

I would hope it means electrical hook up connection - would be a very worthwhile extra - there is one particular Beach expert on here - James may know...

Ian

I have spoken to dealer and VW customer services. The interface is not a hookup. VWCS advised it would be available later in the year.

Hi Jonroe

I am waiting for confirmation regarding the electric hookup to the beach that i am ordering from (Hugh from SMG) he is trying to get confirmation from VW.

The German multi van has the electric hookup, it's a waiting game at the moment to when VW confirm that it will be available on the uk beach

Terry

so is the electric hook-up standard? it powers all internal sockets and keeps the leisure battery topped up, so must be standard surely?

EHU was standard on the late Beach, so I would hope its still standard on the T6, would be a step backwards to make it an option again imho.

EHU was standard on the late Beach, so I would hope its still standard on the T6, would be a step backwards to make it an option again imho.

I would like to see it as an option. Purely because I hate the sight of the horrible looking 230v connection point on the side of the van.
The van looks a lot nicer without it and it's easy enough to have a connection point in the engine bay. Out of sight, but still easy to get to when required:thumb

I would like to see it as an option. Purely because I hate the sight of the horrible looking 230v connection point on the side of the van.
The van looks a lot nicer without it and it's easy enough to have a connection point in the engine bay. Out of sight, but still easy to get to when required:thumb
I cannot think of anything worse than having to leave the bonnet unlocked to have access to a mains socket. I know it is perfectly safe but it is so obviously an after thought. But each to his own, if that's what you want.:mute

Can't see the point of wanting a recreation verhicle but finding it having a 20x10cm nice and solid 220v connection / waterfiller beeing " horrible" as you call it....
Thats one of the best pice of kit on a Cali....the hook up and it's inverter
Think you need to change view on thatone...

I cannot think of anything worse than having to leave the bonnet unlocked to have access to a mains socket. I know it is perfectly safe but it is so obviously an after thought. But each to his own, if that's what you want.:mute

I would have it this way every time.
Why anyone would want that awful looking, 230 connection point stuck onto the side of their van, is beyond me. It totally spoils the lines of an otherwise good looking vehicle.
Volkswagen should offer the option of engine bay mounted. Plus you can still close the engine bay when connected:bananadance

Oke , the first on the forum who finds the 220v hook-up "horrible" is known.....
It's getting worse by the day on here!

Oke , the first on the forum who finds the 220v hook-up "horrible" is known.....
It's getting worse by the day on here!

230v hook-up is a necessity when travelling.
However if Volkswagen gave me a build option to have it factory installed or retro- fitted. I would have it retro fitted as its easy to add and I wouldnt want the connection where they install it.
You can't honestly say the vehicle looks better with a 230v connection point stuck on the side of the van...???
:talktothehand

I can only say it is a good feature and the looks of it don't bothers me ( and think a few 100 others , exept you , on here)
But hey , it is standaard on my SE so guess i have to live with the " horrible looks" getting the luxery as a bonus...
Cheers.

Looks fine on the SE/Ocean with the Water Tank Filler and EHU combined fitting. Mind you it also has the Charger and RCD unit fitted just the other side of the external socket together with the second Leisure Battery so makes perfect sense. Obviously if you are going to ignore the Safety Regulations etc: you can basically fit it where you want and how you want. Your choice but just respect other opinions that may not agree with yours. It is after all a free society.

Last edited:
Good point Welshgas.
I wish some of the SE owners would chill. I mention, that to my mind the side connection is hideous. Which it isn't pretty let's be honest. Some people may dis-agree, fine. Others may concur. No problem. But you guys need to stop being so defensive when someone isn't keen on a certain feature of your van.

It's an opinion, alas the basis of a forum. It's an opinion to agree with and alike disagree with...!!!

Providing it's installed with regards to regs then there isn't a problem.
See my build thread.

Being a 'Self-build' owner I am very happy with the California power and water entry points, they are the best that I have found to use on my projects. They look much nicer than the types normally sold by the trade outlets.

If the electrical interface is the same as the type that I ordered with the new window van that I bought in 2011 it is for connecting / controlling utility items included in special conversions. I ordered it just to see if it could be of any use in a 'Self build' conversion.

Rod

The EHU is standard on the T6 Beach - just for clarification

Not in Spain! My T6 Beach didn't come with it! It was 500€ optional extra, we just plan to charge the leisure battery as and when it gets low with a CTek smart charger, just working out the best way to hook it up to the mains in campsites

I would have it this way every time.
Why anyone would want that awful looking, 230 connection point stuck onto the side of their van, is beyond me. It totally spoils the lines of an otherwise good looking vehicle.
Volkswagen should offer the option of engine bay mounted. Plus you can still close the engine bay when connected:bananadance

VW don't offer it because it's an idiotic solution to an already and very well solved problem. Putting it under the bonnet is like re-inventing the wheel and going for a square option. Vehicle side is industry standard.

Oh, l believe the electrical interface is for additional kit such as lights, sirens etc. I was told its for bespoke vehicle companies etc.

I assumed that on the beach the 230V connector comes with the leisure battery? Ie, without it you dont get a second battery?

As far as I am aware the Beach comes with 2 batteries. 1 - Engine Battery and 1 - Leisure Battery as standard. The EHU package adds the hookup and Charger that charges the Leisure Battery and trickle charges the Engine battery.

Back