Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric camper vans

blondebier

blondebier

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I get the feeling that VW and ABT might be falling behind in the electric campervan race...

You could imagine Mercedes and Westfalia packaging that up as a new Marco Polo Horizon.

Just shy of 200 mile range. It's almost tempting and it looks better than the T6.1 and T7 Multivan.

Maybe a full fat EQV Marco Polo isn't that far away?

Well over 100k euros for the dubious pleasure of cooking all your meals outside strikes me as poor value - if they had done a proper conversion with a side kitchen and proper bed and storage I could see it as a reasonable deal. It’s also only 1.9m high so awning headroom would be limited. A fair bit longer than a Cali also. Good to see some more innovation in the EV world though.

Good to see some more innovation in the EV world though.
Absolutely. This segment really needs it.

The electric transporter by ABT has a range of about 80 miles. I'm staggered that VW put their badge on it and it became anything more than a concept.

The early EQV's have just over 200 mile range.

I think VW and Mercedes both missed a trick by omitting a hybrid from their commercial line up.

It looks like Mercedes are well on the way to full EV commercial vehicles. They may even beat VW to having a full EV camper.

Interesting times.

VW announced an all electric California based on the ID Buzz, but you have to be patience, they announced it will be ready for sale in 2025. The ID Buzz will have a range of 350-400 km's. (but maybe more at that time seeing the current battery developments)

VW announced an all electric California based on the ID Buzz, but you have to be patience, they announced it will be ready for sale in 2025. The ID Buzz will have a range of 350-400 km's. (but maybe more at that time seeing the current battery developments)
A further reading of the announcement learned that the ID California will be based on the long base ID Buzz with a range of 550 km (extended battery pack). It will have more inner space then the current T6/T6.1 Cali's. Link (unfortunately in Dutch) https://blog.camperscaravans.nl/camperversie-op-komst-van-de-volkswagen-id-buzz/

I reckon VW will be able to get a 150kwh battery in one by launch of the Cali (Buzz), it will be staggeringly good, diesel vehicles cannot die soon enough.

I find myself changing views on the potential for electric camper vans each day. Initially I felt the combination of low range and weight restrictions would combine to make a package that would never rival my 6.1. Based on the above commments of a camper with “more room” than the 6.1 and a range of 550km, I’m starting to be a convert.

Exciting times.

All the best

When I see things like this, and bear in mind he is not a newbie when it comes to electric vehicles his daily driver is a Tesla, it makes me think VW have a long way to go before I’ll even consider replacing my diesel Cali with an electric vehicle.

Last edited:
Two thoughts, payload and real life range.
Present LWB Transporter payload is under 1000kg, add the camper fit out, passengers and gear plus the additional weight of a larger battery pack and you soon have a problem.
Remember the magic 3500kg limit on many European licences.
From my experience of VW group EVs you need to reduce claimed range by a minimum of 20/25%.
Love my EV but the practically of range and charging availability is problematic.
I think EV campers will eventually come but not for many years.

I don’t disagree with either predicates but I think 2-3 years the fast charging infra will be more prevalent and battery density plus lighter construction processes will go a long way in solving the weight side of the equation. The timelines we can of course debate but it’s futile now, it’s coming and I think it will be successful

As I said, yes electric is the future however it will take many, many years to have a fast charging infrastructure in place.
The present day 50kw charger will be painfully slow to charge a 150kw battery.
Number of 350kw charging stations in the Uk, 17 Ionity, 66 chargers.
It will come but it will take decades for the infrastructure to catch up with the technology.
We already struggle to maintain the present charging system.
You may be ok driving your VW in the south east, but I dont see many rapid 350 charging stations in the more remote areas any day soon.
Payload may not be such an issue for campers such as Transporters but larger vans, will need even more battery capacity eating into very tight payload restrictions.

Two thoughts, payload and real life range.
Present LWB Transporter payload is under 1000kg, add the camper fit out, passengers and gear plus the additional weight of a larger battery pack and you soon have a problem.
Remember the magic 3500kg limit on many European licences.
From my experience of VW group EVs you need to reduce claimed range by a minimum of 20/25%.
Love my EV but the practically of range and charging availability is problematic.
I think EV campers will eventually come but not for many years.
Ford E-Transit has WLTP 196 Mile range & 1758kg payload. VW already share electric development costs with Ford so they can’t be that far off.

Car manufacturers need to follow Tesla’s way of thinking and invest more into the fast charging network if they want to increase vehicle sales.

The Mercedes EQV 100kw has a kerb weight of 2635kg
The Mercedes V250cdi has a kerb weight of 2145kg

So a 100kw EV power train weighs 500kg more than ICE

The IDBuZz doesn't look like it's a 3.5T commercial vehicle

Ford E-Transit has WLTP 196 Mile range & 1758kg payload. VW already share electric development costs with Ford so they can’t be that far off.

Car manufacturers need to follow Tesla’s way of thinking and invest more into the fast charging network if they want to increase vehicle sales.
They are with IONITY, which is a joint venture of BMW Group, Ford Motor Company, Hyundai Motor Group, Mercedes-Benz AG and Volkswagen Group with Audi and Porsche. They’re now capable of Plug & Charge in accordance with ISO 15118, which, at the moment is only available on the Porsche Taycan, Ford Mach-E and Mercedes EQS to charge and pay. Turn up, plug in, the car and pump communicate, and as long as your account is set up charging and billing occur automatically.

Well batteries are unlikely to be suitable for large commercial vehicles, so there will need to be a threshold at some point to another green fuel source.

Hydrogen, appears to be the best contender with zero emissions at pipe (other than water) and you could effectively create the hydrogen with green energy.

So would a future Cali be battery or hydrogen?

Probably the biggest question would be would you want to sleep on the Hindenburg!

Not sure lithium batteries are hazard free either
origin.jpg

mmmm

Hmmm
The propensity and severity of fires and explosions from ... lithium-ion battery systems are anticipated to be somewhat comparable to or perhaps slightly less than those for gasoline or diesel vehicular fuels, according to the results of an in-depth investigation into the relative fire risks of the two types of vehicles conducted by Battelle for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in 2017.

That said I was pointing out that Li batteries are not without risks.

Looks usable with a 200mile
range. Is expensive at €120k though, and the interior design/finish looks a bit flaky for that. Shame about the on-site electric hookup issue just for a ‘clean design’

https://m.youtube.com/feed/history

Well batteries are unlikely to be suitable for large commercial vehicles, so there will need to be a threshold at some point to another green fuel source.

Hydrogen, appears to be the best contender with zero emissions at pipe (other than water) and you could effectively create the hydrogen with green energy.

So would a future Cali be battery or hydrogen?

Probably the biggest question would be would you want to sleep on the Hindenburg!

We actually had an interesting call yesterday about using methanol as a fuel for engines. This appears to be one way shipping is heading and there are a few examples of generators now running methanol. Currently more methanol is a by product of oil/gas industry but it can also be made from biomass or via green electricity. It's a liquid at room temperatures and not as flammable as hydrogen. The main downside it is energy density which is about 50% of petrol so your tank would need to be twice the size.

Electric motors are good in some ways for commercial vehicles as they do have loads of torque and there will of course be new battery chemistries that which mean that we can get smaller/lighter solutions. What you don't want to end up is one trailer full of batteries to move another trailer of goods across the country. This doesn't even consider the infrastructure requirements to generate all that electricity.

But hey we will all be getting our deliveries to the door by drones in 5 yrs! So maybe there won't be a need for traditional commercial vehicles!

We actually had an interesting call yesterday about using methanol as a fuel for engines. This appears to be one way shipping is heading and there are a few examples of generators now running methanol. Currently more methanol is a by product of oil/gas industry but it can also be made from biomass or via green electricity. It's a liquid at room temperatures and not as flammable as hydrogen. The main downside it is energy density which is about 50% of petrol so your tank would need to be twice the size.

Electric motors are good in some ways for commercial vehicles as they do have loads of torque and there will of course be new battery chemistries that which mean that we can get smaller/lighter solutions. What you don't want to end up is one trailer full of batteries to move another trailer of goods across the country. This doesn't even consider the infrastructure requirements to generate all that electricity.

But hey we will all be getting our deliveries to the door by drones in 5 yrs! So maybe there won't be a need for traditional commercial vehicles!
Thinking about this a little more. Actually big "Semi" might be quiet viable on the empty motorways of other countries, look at the fuel gauge on the Cali, once you are up to speed it's actually pretty efficient, it's the stop/start that kills as you accelerate the load.

I doubt is would get the efficiency quoted going around the M25 at rush hour!

Back