Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Eastern Europe to Istanbul

John

John

VIP Member
Original post BerndRos

Snug as a bug in a rug tonight, silver wrap round on roof and silver screen on front windows, mains hook up and fan Heater on, first shower since Monday and bottle of dry Romanian Sav Blanc open. From Portugal to close to border with Greece & Turkey, visited every country and capital in between. Last couple of weeks in Bulgaria, few campsites and mostly shut, great sights during day and free camps at night mostly on village or town streets, head straight for centre and park in a high profile area. Free camp at Sofia was right next to Parliament building, raised roof and off to sleep, felt like I had a personal police guard for the night. The ' Strudel Van' ' Sweet & Germanic ' is of interest everywhere and is much photographed.

3 nights rest here at ' Saker Hills ' camp close to Harmanli ( £7 a night inc hook up and wifi ) then off we go across Turkish border and to Istanbul, found details on net of a guarded car park at the Fishermans Quay close to the Blue Mosque for a few nights wild camp while exploring Istanbul.

And to top it all, Cali eats up the miles and is still after 35000 miles since March 2010 a joy to venture in each day..........wherever it may take us.

Original post timbatten

Great to see someone getting so much use out of their California. You will be a fantastic resource for the more adventurous club members. We are doing Spain, Portugal, France again this winter, but also plan to head east to the Adriatic countries in the spring. I'll be picking your brains before that trip.

Original post Cali Admin

Hi Bernd, keep us all updated on your journey it gives us all great inspiration to take our cali's further afield. I also see you are using the mobile app for the forum, I can imagine this is a handy tool to have when travelling.

Original post BerndRos

Yes, using App on my iPad which I purchased in Italy a few months ago. Pre paid micro sims are available in most countries although costs and activation of the sims vary from country to country.

I have found the iPad to be a great tool for getting ' info' especially in remote areas, great as its portable and has long battery life.