Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Earth Shunt

B

Bearfix

VIP Member
Hello from Norway;)

I'm planning to fix my faulty earth shunt (flickering light when i try to run the heater) during this winter and need the parts for this job. My local vw dealer doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about when i ask him what parts I need for this job.
Next weekend I'm of to UK for 4 days (23-26. nov) and I thought it might be possible to buy these parts in UK.
We're staying near Bishop's Stortford and i have a rental car so I'm able to pic up around Cambridge, Luton or Greater London.

Anyone able to help me out here?

Cheers

Svein

Got a local car electrician to make up an earth strap about a foot long. Used a seat belt bolt from a land rover defender to attach to body. No flickering!

Hello Svein

I bought the components needed from Listers Van Centre, Coventry, and they posted them to me - arrived within a few days. I guess they would happily post to another UK address??

Listers were recommended on here for this job.

Their parts dept. knew exactly what I was talking about and have worked out a list of the odds and ends needed.

I cannot recall the cost, but it seemed reasonable. I must now get round to fixing it!!

Lewis

I really must learn to be techie…

I keep reading "Earth shunt" and thinking of something from Star Trek….

"Spock…. something has crashed into the earth! What is it"?

"It's a campervan Jim, but not a cali as we know it"….

Don't worry Jen
Basically the shunt is a resister measuring the current in the cables and sending the information
To the control panel. on the standard Cali it is located behind the battery in the boot.
It has an earth strap that attaches to the body on early models the strap and fixing we're not good enough,the strap being to thin and the fixing only being a self tapping screw this caused the heater to fail and the lights to flicker the heater has a large current draw when starting so needs a good clean strong earth.the repair basically is replacing the earth strap with a larger one and bolting it through the chassis. Creating a better earth :thumb

Calikev said:
Don't worry Jen
Basically the shunt is a resister measuring the current in the cables and sending the information
To the control panel. on the standard Cali it is located behind the battery in the boot.
It has an earth strap that attaches to the body on early models the strap and fixing we're not good enough,the strap being to thin and the fixing only being a self tapping screw this caused the heater to fail and the lights to flicker the heater has a large current draw when starting so needs a good clean strong earth.the repair basically is replacing the earth strap with a larger one and bolting it through the chassis. Creating a better earth :thumb

Oh :? :? :?

And here was me thinking a shunt was when you got out of the vehicle and apologised to the person in front… being ever so terribly weepy of course :oops:

This forum is amazing:) I was not quiet sure what this fix did, and as a man i didn't dare to ask :cool: but GrannyJen did, and finnaly I do understand what it's all about :D
Thnks to everyone. I don't need any parts now. I'm sure my local Bosch workshop will help me out.

---
Svein
-off to make a better earth :thumb -

I've been trying to deny the possibility of earth shunt on my 2008 Cali. Sure, the lights flicker when I turn on the heater, but that really doesn't bother me. More significant is the rathet rapid reduction in power when off-hookup. Fridge packs up after about two days. At this age, do you think a new leisure battery is a simpler solution to that particular problem? If so, what sort?
If earth shunt is the problem, does anybody know of someone in the West Country who could fix it?

Certainly sounds like the earth shunt. I wouldn't think there was much point replacing leisure batteries at this stage as it probably wouldn't make much difference other than the hole in your wallet!
My dealer sorted mine out when it was still under warranty so no idea on cost. Otherwise an auto electrician I suppose.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

andrew bazeley said:
I've been trying to deny the possibility of earth shunt on my 2008 Cali. Sure, the lights flicker when I turn on the heater, but that really doesn't bother me. More significant is the rathet rapid reduction in power when off-hookup. Fridge packs up after about two days. At this age, do you think a new leisure battery is a simpler solution to that particular problem? If so, what sort?
If earth shunt is the problem, does anybody know of someone in the West Country who could fix it?

Before I learned about the earth shunt, I replaced the batteries having the same symptoms. I did not help at all. Only the consequent earth shunt repair did the job.
Probably batteries were quite ok.
I gave them to my uncle to use on a boat...

Thanks for responses.
Probably me being a dumbo, but is it really the earth shunt under the fridge that's affecting the fridge running down so fast? I thought the battery under the fridge was nothing to do with the fridge operation - only the heater? If that's the case, then maybe I just need to check the under-seat battery and connections, and worry about the earth shunt some other time (I've never run the heater on battery) Or are the two batteries somehow llinked?
I'm determined to understand this!

andrew bazeley said:
Thanks for responses.
Probably me being a dumbo, but is it really the earth shunt under the fridge that's affecting the fridge running down so fast? I thought the battery under the fridge was nothing to do with the fridge operation - only the heater? If that's the case, then maybe I just need to check the under-seat battery and connections, and worry about the earth shunt some other time (I've never run the heater on battery) Or are the two batteries somehow llinked?
I'm determined to understand this!

The batteries are linked in parallel.
I would still go for the earth shunt anyway, it is not expensive and you have to do it anyway if the lights do flicker. Then, if there is no improvement go for the batteries replacement.

Thanks- I'll take your advice. I've downloaded the helpsheet, and I'll get my son to do it with me - he's just finished a total rebuild of a Bedford Bambi motorhome, so he's probably tackled a lot worse things than this!

Any one got a step by guide for replacing the earth strap? I’ve got the parts. But I have heard it’s a ball ache of a job to replace.

Any one got a step by guide for replacing the earth strap? I’ve got the parts. But I have heard it’s a ball ache of a job to replace.
In the Download section. One of the How To Guides.

I had my batteries tested before the shunt was fixed, just so I didn't go nuts and replace things that didn't require it. VW did mine over here for about 90 GBP and gave me a battery condition report also.

You could drive to SMG in Kent if you're in the UK, it's kind of on the way to London from the crossing.

This is where I bought it:

http://www.vwcamper.de/shop/product_inf ... b0282949a7

It is also worth to replace the rear battery fuse to 75A which gives less resistance, the same shop:

http://www.vwcamper.de/shop/product_inf ... b0282949a7

Fuse in my 2007 van was also little rusty on the contacts.

Regards
Andrzej

I used the same supplier for the parts. Took a week to arrive but a good quality kit and worth the cash IMO. Fridge removal and reinstall not too hard. Mine has the three bolts to the hob cupboard side. Three the wardrobe side. Disconnect the fridge loom and remove. There’s a guide in the downloads section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk