Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Earth shunt repair - covered by VW or at what price

Just done my shunt mod today,
Took me 4 hours from start to Finnish , I did not raise the roof because it was raining, My one is 2006 so had to remove the sink, used a magnetic 5.5mm socket to remove the 4 nuts holding the sink down,
To lift the fridge out i pushed up on the metal work that the compressor sits on and a friend grabbed the top, came out very easy, Put masking tape over the side of the wardrobe and along the front edge of the cabinet housing to prevent any scratches, Made a 300mm earth cable , Fitted a new shunt and bolted it up to the redundant seat belt threaded hole on the inner wheel arch ,
Job went very well, No overload message now, and no heater cutting out,
Battery readings showing less amp draw on heater fire up stage, all in all a good fix,
I've got a couple of long weekend coming up quad racing before the the end of the year,
I will feel a bit guilty being all snug in the Cali while my mates sleep in there vans,
In the mornings I will get from them, Did you have your heater on last night you
W****r, Sorry boys I'm afraid so
Loving my Cali , Perfect for my sport.
Just done my shunt mod today,
Took me 4 hours from start to Finnish , I did not raise the roof because it was raining, My one is 2006 so had to remove the sink, used a magnetic 5.5mm socket to remove the 4 nuts holding the sink down,
To lift the fridge out i pushed up on the metal work that the compressor sits on and a friend grabbed the top, came out very easy, Put masking tape over the side of the wardrobe and along the front edge of the cabinet housing to prevent any scratches, Made a 300mm earth cable , Fitted a new shunt and bolted it up to the redundant seat belt threaded hole on the inner wheel arch ,
Job went very well, No overload message now, and no heater cutting out,
Battery readings showing less amp draw on heater fire up stage, all in all a good fix,
I've got a couple of long weekend coming up quad racing before the the end of the year,
I will feel a bit guilty being all snug in the Cali while my mates sleep in there vans,
In the mornings I will get from them, Did you have your heater on last night you
W****r, Sorry boys I'm afraid so
Loving my Cali , Perfect for my sport.

Hello v-tec, i read that you've changed the shunt to your caliber, in 2006, i have one in 2010 that does not show amps, that is to power off, and new and 100% charged batteries activating the Refrigerator after 20 min. I read 12,6V, battery 80% and 0,0A.
When it reaches the temperature off, the voltage rises to 12.9V and 100% 0.2A.
Can it be a mass problem?
thank you

I agree it might not tell you about VW's attitude, but it would be of immense use to a decent Auto-Electrician who could do the repair at a reasonable cost, if VW do not play ball by allowing a claim.:thumb
Hi...my T5 VW 2009 cali is showing signs of the earth shunt problem type...Cold air from heater, drains batteries to quickly...but works fine if I turn the engine on...the batteries are 3 yrs old. What is the shunt ? ( obviously I'm not tech ) and where can I find it...I live in switzerland...so heating is a real need...I just slept out at -10C !!! got wrapped up for the night though :)...would my local garages be able do fix it? thanks for you feedback and understanding...Dave

Hi...my T5 VW 2009 cali is showing signs of the earth shunt problem type...Cold air from heater, drains batteries to quickly...but works fine if I turn the engine on...the batteries are 3 yrs old. What is the shunt ? ( obviously I'm not tech ) and where can I find it...I live in switzerland...so heating is a real need...I just slept out at -10C !!! got wrapped up for the night though :)...would my local garages be able do fix it? thanks for you feedback and understanding...Dave
A good auto electrician should be able to do this. Instructions in "Resources" section.

:thumb