Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Earth shunt issue?

R

Rob1972

Vehicle
Cali now sold
After having some time to play with our new (to us) Cali I've noticed a couple of problems. Could anyone tell me if the following is due to the earth shunt issue?

1. The parking heater only blows cold or slightly warmed air for a minute and then shuts off. It did smell of burning diesel when outside the van so I think some kind of combustion might have been happening. The display flickers slightly when the heater initially comes on. I also tried whilst plugged into the mains hookup and it was no better.

2. The fresh water level indicator is stuck on 2/3 full no matter what the level is. Possibly the waste indicator is also stuck at empty but not sure.

I've checked behind the fridge and the seat belt screw hole is unused meaning at least that any fix using that hasn't been applied. I'm wondering if the two problems are related or they are two separate issues and if I purchase the kit would it help?

Thanks

1. The parking heater only blows cold or slightly warmed air for a minute and then shuts off. It did smell of burning diesel when outside the van so I think some kind of combustion might have been happening. The display flickers slightly when the heater initially comes on. I also tried whilst plugged into the mains hookup and it was no better.
Flickering display and lights normally point to an earth shunt issue, try the
heater whilst on hook up, it should work fine.

Flickering display and lights normally point to an earth shunt issue, try the
heater whilst on hook up, it should work fine.
No, trying heater on hookup unfortunately not working.

Actually, I was wrong. It is working on hookup. I think the batteries might have been low as it's been plugged in for a few hours and the heater is now working.

Last edited:
It looks like it works on hook up then so the heater is fine,
heater not working when not using hook up and lights flickering
could mean that the earth shunt needs doing.

Re water levels -The older Calis have a plastic tube the sensor slides up and down on in the fresh water tank and these are prone to cracking which then makes the sensor stick. Easy to replace with the newer metal tube sensor, 7E7 068 257B metal version. Note, worth making or buying the tool to remove the water tank lid. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/water-tank-lid-opening-tool-vw-california-seocean

The waste sensor only shows full when he tank is at maximum, no stages like the fresh water sensor. Fill the waste tank with 30L of water until it almost overflows and you should see the display change to Full.

DSC_2085.JPG

DSC_2087.JPG

Last edited:
The Aux Heater will stop if your leisure battery is below 11.8v OR if you have less than a 1/3 tank of diesel.

Re water levels -The older Calis have a plastic tube the sensor slides up and down on in the fresh water tank and these are prone to cracking which then makes the sensor stick. Easy to replace with the newer metal tube sensor, 7E7 068 257B metal version. Note, worth making or buying the tool to remove the water tank lid. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/water-tank-lid-opening-tool-vw-california-seocean

The waste sensor only shows full when he tank is at maximum, no stages like the fresh water sensor. Fill the waste tank with 30L of water until it almost overflows and you should see the display change to Full.

View attachment 65297

View attachment 65298

Yep, I can see the tube is cracked much worse than this on ours. Thanks

Just replaced my fresh water level sensor as I had the same problem. 2 bars on the indicator panel. Had the cracks along the length of the sensor.
Bought the part number as said earlier in this thread, this has a stainless steel ‘pipe’ section and not plastic. Works as it should. Unscrewing the lid was an effort though on mine. Had to make a tool to get it moving then straight forward after that.
About £86 all in from my VW stealer last month. Ouch.

Anyone know where the shunt is located on a 2017 T6 Ocean ?
not sure if I am on the right area to post
thanks in anticipation

Anyone know where the shunt is located on a 2017 T6 Ocean ?
not sure if I am on the right area to post
thanks in anticipation
Under the fridge, but you won’t have the “ Earth Shunt “ problem.

Thanks for your response, i want to fit a smart shunt in series with the original shunt
I dont fancy talking out the fridge and looking in from the near Cunard there no way of getting acess
Do you think I could fit the smart shunt Bluetooth inside the battery compartment under the wardrobe
siple series connection ?

any advise would be appreciated

Regards
Brendan ( Hyvast)

Thanks for your response, i want to fit a smart shunt in series with the original shunt
I dont fancy talking out the fridge and looking in from the near Cunard there no way of getting acess
Do you think I could fit the smart shunt Bluetooth inside the battery compartment under the wardrobe
siple series connection ?

any advise would be appreciated

Regards
Brendan ( Hyvast)

I’m not an Autoelectrician, but I don’t think that will work. What additional information are you trying to collect?

I’m not an Autoelectrician, but I don’t think that will work. What additional information are you trying to collect?
I am needing to get better data from my leisure batteries the VW control unit is a little but “dull”
the smart Shunt I want to use is Bluetooth capable and i can monitor it on my ipad or I hope and record what happening, I use the System to run a mobile /portable operation and the radio transmitter pulls about 25 amps from the leisure batteries, I am told there is no problem running the smart Shunt in series with the VW ocean original and keeping the Control unit functioning as is.
So I want to be sure that the original shunt comes of the negative pole on the rear leisure battery
that way it would be comparatively easy to fit the smart shunt in line

so if the original shunt is under the fridge I am assuming it come off the battery to earth
hope this explains, there is nothing wrong with the original shunt, I just need a more flexible way of monitoring the Leisure battery conditions

thanks for your reply
regards

I am needing to get better data from my leisure batteries the VW control unit is a little but “dull”
the smart Shunt I want to use is Bluetooth capable and i can monitor it on my ipad or I hope and record what happening, I use the System to run a mobile /portable operation and the radio transmitter pulls about 25 amps from the leisure batteries, I am told there is no problem running the smart Shunt in series with the VW ocean original and keeping the Control unit functioning as is.
So I want to be sure that the original shunt comes of the negative pole on the rear leisure battery
that way it would be comparatively easy to fit the smart shunt in line

so if the original shunt is under the fridge I am assuming it come off the battery to earth
hope this explains, there is nothing wrong with the original shunt, I just need a more flexible way of monitoring the Leisure battery conditions

thanks for your reply
regards
Yes the original shunt comes from the negative pole of the rear leisure battery, see photo.
You should be able to put the new additional Bluetooth shunt in series with the original shunt without affecting their accuracy BUT please check with the Bluetooth shunt manufacturer first! Make sure good quality cables and connections are used to reduce resistance.

bilde.JPG

Hi many thanks, for your reply and the photograph, the manufacturer has confirmed to another user it would be fine, however i will ask the question myself

and I understand re using a suitable cable to complete the attachment

thank you again
regards

Back