Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Earth Shunt Fix in Scotland?

C

CaliDreamer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hello,

We recently bought a 2007 Cali and are pretty sure we have the Earth Shunt problem as we have the flickering control panel display and the heater only works when the engine is running or when we are on hook up.

Has anyone had a this problem fixed at either a vw van centre or some other garage in Scotland. I have the download of how to DIY it but would be interested to find out how much it would cost to have it done by someone who had experience of doing it already!

Thanks for any pointers anyone can give.

Hello,

We recently bought a 2007 Cali and are pretty sure we have the Earth Shunt problem as we have the flickering control panel display and the heater only works when the engine is running or when we are on hook up.

Has anyone had a this problem fixed at either a vw van centre or some other garage in Scotland. I have the download of how to DIY it but would be interested to find out how much it would cost to have it done by someone who had experience of doing it already!

(This post is replicated in the 'heating and air con' section)

Hello,

I cannot find any costings for you on the Forum, most have done it themselves, or had it done by VW, free, in the long distant past.
Getting the fridge out is the major part, the actual repair is very straightforward.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/earth-shunt-repair-covered-by-vw-or-at-what-price.9477/

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/earth-shunt-again.2710/

We are not the best DIY-types, but we managed to do it ourselves, following the guidelines. Cost us 1 hour, roughly. Very doable, don't hesitate!

It's just handy to have a second person with you when you are lifting the fridge out or lowering it back in, and it is a nice trick to find some block of wood or something that will fit just beneath the fridge when it is still in. If you use that lowering it back in again, you know it will rest at the right height to get the screws back in the sides, otherwise it may be quite a hassle to get the fridge at the right height to align the holes.

Also: the fridge has a very tight fit. To prevent scratches, we amply applied duct tape to the sides of the wardrobe before we started work...

Last edited:
Thanks both for your helpful replies :thumb. Good to hear it is very do-able. We will likely attempt it ourselves now!