• Thread starter Neilsimpleflying
  • Start date
Neilsimpleflying

Neilsimpleflying

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hi,
We are off to Amsterdam late May/June to see the Vermeer Exhibition. We will be away for about a week and wondered if anyone has any recommendations regarding campsites and other areas of Holland to visit. We will probably only be in Amsterdam two days because we have been before. we will have bikes with us.
Probably going Shuttle one way and ferry back. Any thoughts about best ferry route?

Best ferry back depends on where you live in the UK. Living in the North I would prefer IJmuiden -Newcastle, living in the South , living in the middle Rotterdam - Hull, living in the South Calais to Dover.

We stayed at Budget Camping Utrecht a few years back. Just a short bike ride into Utrecht. No frills but it met our needs. Cheers

Camping t vliegenbos in Amsterdam nice place to stay you can cross the water anytime with a free ferry. If you want to visit the Vermeer Exhibition you have to reserve tickets online but be fast i heard that it was very difficult to get some.

Not an answer to your opening question, but did you make an online reservation for the Vermeer exhibition? The Rijksmuseum is already overbooked right now for this exhibition.

BTW The most famous Vermeer painting Girl with a Pearl is only exposed in March, thereafter it returns to its owners, the museum Mauritshuis in The Hague.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Not an answer to your opening question, but did you make an online reservation for the Vermeer exhibition? The Rijksmuseum is already overbooked right now for this exhibition.

BTW The most famous Vermeer painting Girl with a Pearl is only exposed in March, thereafter it returns to its owners, the museum Mauritshuis in The Hague.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.
Both campings Vliegenbos and Gaaspercamping are the best situated for visiting the city centre. Gaaspercamping has a direct metro line.

Outside Amsterdam there is a nice small camping site Het Rietveen in Landsmeer. Half an hour per bike to the city.

Marc.

Both campings Vliegenbos and Gaaspercamping are the best situated for visiting the city centre. Gaaspercamping has a direct metro line.

Outside Amsterdam there is a nice small camping site Het Rietveen in Landsmeer. Half an hour per bike to the city.

Marc.
When we stayed at Vliegenbos you could walk 10mins to the local rain station and within another 10mins your in central Ansterdam. Site was basic but clean.

Hello, I suspect that you will sail directly to the Netherlands (Hoek van Holland) so you will not visit Belgium (Bruges). Hence I limit myself to only this, without much cohesion ;)
The route N57 that takes you along the Delta Works.
Rotterdam is a must, especially the cube houses, you can also visit them. Worth the effort. https://www.kubuswoning.nl/en/
Utrecht: lovely walk along the canals + Rietveld Schröderhuis 1923 and more.
Do take the A7: be sure to stop at the 'Vlietermonument' on the Afsluitdijk: https://www.visitwadden.nl/en/visit/activities/3492045785/vlietermonument-afsluitdijk
I also recommend Den Helder (just before Afsluitdijk): there is a camper place in the marina (Camperplaats Willemsoord). Admire what you see...
+ there you can take the ferry to the Wadden Island Texel.
Something new that I visited for a few weeks: Camper center Amersfoort. Worth a stop.
Enjoy your trip!
Greetings
Calibusje

Hi,
We are off to Amsterdam late May/June to see the Vermeer Exhibition. We will be away for about a week and wondered if anyone has any recommendations regarding campsites and other areas of Holland to visit. We will probably only be in Amsterdam two days because we have been before. we will have bikes with us.
Probably going Shuttle one way and ferry back. Any thoughts about best ferry route?
We returned to Harwich from Hook of Holland - great ferry.
Depends on what you want to do but we enjoyed the coast near Callantsoog staying at Camping De Nollen and inland near the Hoge Veluwe National Park (Hoenderloo) staying at Veluwe camping De Pampel. Really enjoyed our stay - great cycling from both sites.
Also enjoyed The Hague staying at Camping Duinhorst (but plenty of sites about).

The quality of campsites appeared to be good in general everywhere. Really enjoyed our 10 days.

Thanks all For suggestions - struggling with Vermeer ticket bookings at the moment!

I believe there are other Vermeer things on as well in other cities (maybe Utrecht?) but can't find a link atm. Lots of other fantastic pictures in the Rijksmuseum though, plus many other fascinating museums in Amsterdam.