Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG gearbox.

Norfolk Jim

Norfolk Jim

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Little advice please - I'm going to view a 2015 Cali SE with 140 engine and DSG gearbox.

Is this gearbox 6 or 7 speed? Do members consider the 140 powerful enough in DSG guise??

Many thanks.

Last edited:
If you get someone to check the vehicle data, G1C is the code for "7 speed automatic transmission".

If it's of any help, I have the 150ps T6 Cali and while people will always argue more is better a 140 PS DSG should be just fine.
An awful lot of conversions out there with heavier interiors are built on 102 ps etc.... and while thats never going to make them nifty I never hear people complain about them either.
My 150, has no issues at all.

If it's of any help, I have the 150ps T6 Cali and while people will always argue more is better a 140 PS DSG should be just fine.
An awful lot of conversions out there with heavier interiors are built on 102 ps etc.... and while thats never going to make them nifty I never hear people complain about them either.
Mine is an 84 hp remapped to 105 and makes decent progress through 5 speed and does roughly 750 miles per tank. It happily sits at 70 - 75 but needs a little more grunt on hills so assume 140 will be much better

95% of all big whites have 120-130 PS... for reference.

We have a 2018 T6 150 DSG 7 speed LWB conversion. Never noticed being short of power.

T5.1 140PS lovely, plenty of torque, should be no issues at all with power, my last 140 was the most reliable vehicle I have owned, sold it with 130k miles and absolutely no issues other than routine maintenance.
power, pulls like a train fully loaded = you will know when you test drive it

T5.1 140PS lovely, plenty of torque, should be no issues at all with power, my last 140 was the most reliable vehicle I have owned, sold it with 130k miles and absolutely no issues other than routine maintenance.
power, pulls like a train fully loaded = you will know when you test drive it
Thanks

Little advice please - I'm going to view a 2015 Cali SE with 140 engine and DSG gearbox.

Is this gearbox 6 or 7 speed? Do members consider the 140 powerful enough in DSG guise??

Many thanks.
I have a 21 plate T6.1 and I found I had to adjust (and am still doing so) my driving style to adapt to the engine and gearbox characteristics. My instincts are derived from a 300hp nissan naturally aspirated engine with plenty of low down torque. The 6.1 is necessary to 'right foot boot' to engage the turbo and then it performs (and the mpg certainly then dives!).

• Clever Stuff
Reactions: Sad

Many thanks.
I have a 2012 SE Cali 140 & DSG, ex demo with 100 miles on the clock. Great combination, trouble free with 45000 miles, serviced by VW. 7 speed.

I too have a 2012 140 Cali. 55000 miles, owned since new serviced by VW. And actually living in it now on a French campsite just outside Tournon! Great performance as far as I am concerned. Clearly not boy racer material but 2 days ago I was doing a steady 80 for mile after mIle down the French Autoroutes Including A7 and A71. I get about 32 round the houses and up to 40 on the motorways.
Hope this helps

Ach rub it in why don't you...:headbang:)
@DavidofHook.
Mine takes me on a 22 mile commute to work each day.
Sorry about that but it is nice here! As the only Brits on the site we had our celebratory Jubilee dinner last night (and another tonight!). The others on the site cannot quite understand the celebrations, many of them have royalty but can’t envisage what is happening on the U.K. now ( and in Tournon, I have 6 Union jacks on the van!)

Back