Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG Driving Query - Freewheeling

Cameron1960

Cameron1960

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
On approaching roundabouts, traffic lights, ques, downhill roads etc. I have started putting the gearbox in Neutral, in an attempt to save fuel (this obviously stops the engine from going into 'geared drive mode' when breaking). Am I potentially damaging the engine? and do you think I am reducing the lifespan of my brakes? (just had front and rear pads changed + 35,000 miles - the vehicle is used daily for regular short trips).

On approaching roundabouts, traffic lights, ques, downhill roads etc. I have started putting the gearbox in Neutral, in an attempt to save fuel (this obviously stops the engine from going into 'geared drive mode' when breaking). Am I potentially damaging the engine? and do you think I am reducing the lifespan of my brakes? (just had front and rear pads changed + 35,000 miles - the vehicle is used daily for regular short trips).
I'm presuming your Cali has the coast mode. If so use that as putting it into neutral is not the way to go.

Here is the most recent thread on coasting ....

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/to-coast-or-not-to-coast.18622/

Mike

A definite No No. see above post.

Use your vans brain and use coasting mode rather than over think things with your brain,
(that is how I do it)

break pads cheaper than gear box

Last edited:
Use your vans brain and use coasting mode rather than over think things with your brain,
(that is how I do it)

break pads cheaper than gear box
Thanks!!

Back