Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drivers seat comfort - Dirty Talk?

J

Jamesthevet

Hi,

I've just completed a thousand mile road trip in my new Cali beach and found the drivers seat really uncomfortable. Even the lumbar support adjustment couldn't improve things. Somehow the back seems narrow and curves rather unnaturally so that I feel poorly supported. I suppose I'm fairly broad and tall but not exceptionally so!

I've previously had two merc vito vans and never suffered any comfort problems.

Does anyone know if the drivers seat can be switched? I know this is likely to mean that I would lose the capacity to swivel the seat but my health is more important!

I've seen that converters use Saab seats but I don't know if they can be switched to the standard seat rails with ease - has anyone tried this?

Shame that such an expensive vehicle has such poor seats

James

Sorry to hear that. I would try a retrimming company to see if the seat can be sculptured a little before replacing it entirely.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I'm kinda with you James.

We've had our Beach since November and a loaner for a few months before that and I'm always fidgeting with the angle of the back, how close I am to the wheel and also the wheel adjustments and it never seems just right.

I was really surprised that the seats aren't height adjustable in some way.

Generally I do manage to get comfortable but after we've stopped over and pushed the seat forward and put the back up (we don't tend to swivel the drivers seat) it seems to take ages before I can find a comfortable position.

Sadly my SAAB 9000 met it's maker about 5 years ago. An anniversary edition with full leathers and as it was being taken away it did cross my mind that I should maybe have saved the front seats - I knew then that they were often used in conversions. :headbang

But anyway time will tell if the seating eventually screws up my back.

Is the Beach drivers seat different to the Cali SE?

Reason I ask is the seat it ours is amazing, I can drive for hundreds of miles and not even feel like it, so much better than any car I have driven

I find my quite comfortable. The only problem is when I come straight from Audi (that is my everyday car) which has totally different seating position. Then I need twenty minutes or so to get used to it. I can drive 10 hours in a row without any problems.
The only upgrade I am planning is to cover all seats with sheepskin seat covers. The seats are then warm in the winter and cool in the summer, plus they don't get dirty if you spill some coffee or other drink on them.

I could be wrong but I think the California Beach and SE are based on 2 different baseline vans as regards the type / quality of fittings, seats etc: so you could be correct, and the Beach and SE have different seats.

Thanks for the prompt responses

I always tend to avoid asking others about comfort since I've learned that it's a very personal subject. I've had back surgery three times and car seats are a special concern to me. I've driven VAG vehicles many times and owned VW and Audi and never had any problems.

That's why I had no concerns about my Beach before ordering it.

But after last week's long trip I am really disappointed. Even the seat base is short of cushioning and 'numb bum' is a risk. No options to tip the base and a really weird curve on the narrow seat backs.

Both seats in the Merc Vito were swivel and much more generous in every respect.

Thanks for the tip on 're sculpting' I didn't even know that service existed. It would be great if someone had experience of switching seats for an alternative manufacturer.

James

Well,

Took me ages to get my seat position right in the Cali.

Now, just done 1900 miles in 8 days and no problems., ever so comfortable, beats my BMW 1 series.

Yes, agree with everyone, height adjustment would be wonderful.

If you are changing seats you need to consider that you might lose the heating function, and you will almost certainly lose the airbag in the side of the seat (would that have insurance implications?)

Personally I love the seats - I can drive half the length of France with no worries - I wouldn't stop at all if the kids didn't need the toilet :) However as you say not everyone is the same.

T

Just got back from driving to and from Bristol today. 5 hours in total on A roads. No issues with the seat and I have a back that complains very easily.

I wonder, as someone else has, if the Beach and SE seats are different.

Are you able to try driving a SE? If so, and the seat is more comfortable, then ebay may be your friend.

Alan

I have a beach and coming from a land rover the first few times I drove the van it played havoc with my back but no problems now. Think I just needed time to get used to the different seating.

After years in a Split Bus the SE seats are heaven! My wife suffers from a bad back but no probs in the Cali either....

Hi,

I've just completed a thousand mile road trip in my new Cali beach and found the drivers seat really uncomfortable. Even the lumbar support adjustment couldn't improve things. Somehow the back seems narrow and curves rather unnaturally so that I feel poorly supported. I suppose I'm fairly broad and tall but not exceptionally so!

I've previously had two merc vito vans and never suffered any comfort problems.

Does anyone know if the drivers seat can be switched? I know this is likely to mean that I would lose the capacity to swivel the seat but my health is more important!

I've seen that converters use Saab seats but I don't know if they can be switched to the standard seat rails with ease - has anyone tried this?

Shame that such an expensive vehicle has such poor seats

James

I to had similar problems on a 2000 mile trip did you find a solution
Paul

Don't Vw do upgraded seats as an option? They don't swivel but it would be worth asking to see what adjustments you could get over standard.

I find my Ocean drivers seat pretty comfortable. Did a 2,000 mile dash to Salzburg and back in 4 days last year and found it generally fine. Lack of height adjustment is very frustrating. I'd actually prefer it a little lower. I also really miss not having memory seats (I know they are available on the height adjusting non-swivel seat). It seems to take me a while to get the position right every time after we've swivelled the seats or Mrs DM has been taking a driving stint.

I haven't seen one for years - but remember those bead seat cushions? I had one in a very uncomfortable Citroen and it made a huge difference.

Holy thread resurrection !
Did you find a solution to getting a different seat fitted ?
What’s the solution.
I would absolutely love another Cali (thinking a beach for increased space, as wouldn’t use it much for sleeping in) only as a day van.
I guess a Merc would be a better option to look at the seat comfort.
I also have two issues with my back.
prolapse at L1 and I broke it at T10, very close to severing my spinal cord in a jeep accident in Turkey.
so suffer in the winter with still damaged nerve and muscle around the area.