Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive away tent

P

paulkellyharris

Just been away for a 10 day trip using an awning for the first time. We got a Quecha Base and found it brilliant - sets up in a couple of minutes. However, out of the 4 campsites that we stayed in, we were told that we had to take it down in 2 of the campsite "because it was a tent and not an awning". One of the campsites said that they did not allow tents (but you could use a drive away awning!) and the other campsite allowed tents in certain areas, but not the pitch we were on (it was over Easter and the site was full so we could not change pitches).

Has anybody else come across this, or have we just been unlucky?

Many thanks for any help!

Paul

Hi Paul,

You are not alone, I have also had this on a couple of occasions as we also sometimes use a small Quechua pop up tent just for storage, the reason I was given by the warden was that they make the site look messy another aid it was a fire hazard ! If this was the true reason I don't know but it only seems to happen in the country at certain campsites!

Hi Paul,

Fairly common approach to be honest, particularly when booked into a Motorhomes or touring pitch.

Tends to be less of an issue at smaller, none club sites where you can simply ask the owners/managers.

Interestingly, I've never had a problem when we used to use the Kyham... Even when not attached to the van. Amazing what a small flap of nylon can do.

We now use sides for the rollout if we want more space.... No argument from sites and very little storage space taken up.

Rgds

Mark

Has anybody ever had any problems at a site with a proper awning attached to the van, irrespective of which make/how big it is? After our Easter experience I am thinking of getting either an Outwell California or Kyham Motordome Sleeper. My only concern is that as they are both such big awnings, I could find myself in the same position of being asked to take it down due to it's size.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Paul