Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive away awning to use on cali with pull out awning fitted

Allie Park

Allie Park

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all,

Our 2015 cali has a pull out awning fitted already but we would like to have a drive away awning too to give us more storage and seating space for longer stays.

Is it possible to fit a drove away awning when it has a pull out awning big fitted and any particular brands or models recommended? Thank you

We haven't got a drive away, but if you look on here under ' camping and Cali accessories' there is lots of info which might help. Otherwise l expect someone will be along soon to help you.

We have a DTW Pegasus III with two sleeping cabins, tent goes along the cali and measuring 3x5 meters.

Is it possible to fit a drove away awning when it has a pull out awning big fitted and any particular brands or models recommended? Thank you

Yes, it's easy to do. This video demonstrates how the connection is made (from 5 minutes in)

We use a £28 tarp (Quechua Illumin Fresh) as our driveaway awning. It's utterly flexible, as it can become a mini tent, a sunshade, a beach shelter etc. It comes with two poles and you can make use of whatever's around (trees, posts etc). DON'T fasten it under tension to the awning struts, though...it bends everything out of shape. Have a look here at our kit and packing lists, if that helps.

We tried a few over the years and our vango kela is easily the best we've ever had, paid £350 at a show 2 years ago. Even bends and bobs back up in gale force wind if roped properly. Our profile pic shows our set up.

The Cali awning has a groove in it for this very purpose.

The "correct" way to fit the awning is to put a cador strip in the groove and fit a figure of 8 on the cador - then the other side of the figure of 8 onto the awning.

I find that a bit of a faff - so I just attach a figure of 8 to our awning and then trap that into the top of the cali awning.

Very hard to describe, but some methods are shown here: http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/connecting-a-drive-away-awning.9435/#post-91950

or here: http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/vango-kela-fouling-on-the-sliding-door.6160/

T

I have a khyam motordome sleeper that we no longer use as we now are obsessed with travelling lite.
Would sell for £250 collected from North Yorkshire or I travel a bit so could deliver if on my route.
Mostly travel to the north east and Cumbria.

We use a £28 tarp (Quechua Illumin Fresh) as our driveaway awning. It's utterly flexible, as it can become a mini tent, a sunshade, a beach shelter etc. It comes with two poles and you can make use of whatever's around (trees, posts etc). DON'T fasten it under tension to the awning struts, though...it bends everything out of shape. Have a look here at our kit and packing lists, if that helps.
I'd love to see your tarp (link not working). I bought a tarp but tried it once and removed it from kit until I try it at home. I was hoping for a flexible solution for extra shelter along with my 'garden shed' ie queque shelter 2. Can you post photos of how you use your tarp? Ta

Whoops. Sorry about the link. Here it is again. I can't find a photo of the set-up we just used, but basically, we used the two tarp poles and a couple of trees to extend the Cali awning, but also to allow a bit of a droop at the front for some privacy.

Here are a few pics, though, that show how flexible tarps can be. Plus there's a great illustration here that shows 66 ways to make a shelter out of a tarp.

thumb_IMG_2967_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_3042_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_3056_1024.jpg

Back