Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DPF warning light on!

Zebedee

Zebedee

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
After only having the Cali a mere 6 weeks tonight the DPF warning light came on. Admittedly I do use it as my main car so it is doing a lot of short journeys but only a week ago it had a nice trip out round the M25 and back to Kent!

It was rather low on diesel and so I went and put in half a tank and surprise....the light went out! I came straight home and read the manual and got back in the car and drove to Guildford down the A3, round the roundabout and home again....lovely. Now I do have some queries.....is there anything I can do to help?....Would it make a difference using the upmarket diesel they sell at the Shell garage I go to rather than the bog standard stuff I usually get?

When you drive it to de-soot it like it says in the manual do you have to keep it in 4th gear or 4th gear and above? Does it matter if you go above 43miles an hour?
:thanks

I use 200mls of mineral oil 2 stroke in every tank full of both my modern diesel cars. Never had a DPF problem and engines don't rattle (like a lot of diesels do).
Some people would frown on this - but do the google research & you'll see its pretty common.
2 stroke has a higher calorific value than modern diesel too so helps to keep the DPF clean (apparently).
Anyway, works for me, you do it if you like but don't blame me if you're engine blows up lol!

Had the Cali for 2 years, 18k miles and never had DPF issue. Used all brands of fuel. On most trips I do at least one 'spirited' acceleration once engine up to temperature. Not followed the manuals advice I speed but do cruise at 120kph so over 2k rpm. I did have a DPF failure o my T180 and dealer told me to stop being so nice and hence the occassional hard acceleration, no redline, to get everything hotter than normal running to clear it. You might be being too gentle.
No idea on using 2 stroke but one would have thought he clever engineers would have designed an engine that simply uses the fuel on the forecourt of the wester world, wouldn't you?

s-express said:
I use 200mls of mineral oil 2 stroke in every tank full of both my modern diesel cars. Never had a DPF problem and engines don't rattle (like a lot of diesels do).
Some people would frown on this - but do the google research & you'll see its pretty common.
2 stroke has a higher calorific value than modern diesel too so helps to keep the DPF clean (apparently).
Anyway, works for me, you do it if you like but don't blame me if you're engine blows up lol!

Awsome, I can make my vans smell like my bike/strimmer/chain saw with Castrol R :thumb

S.

I drive as fuel efficiently as I can (within reason) so no hard acceleration, keep the revs low, generally stick to 70mph on the motorways etc.

Done 11k and not seen the DPF light yet.

Most of my miles are longer journeys though.

Just for info;

If you do end up with a (genuine) blocked DPF which cannot be cleared by the usual method it can be taken off & cleaned (rather than replacing which is very pricey :eek: )

A blocked DPF can be brought back to 90-95% of its original flow rate for ~ £234 (including VAT,collection & Delivery) if cleaned by the right people :smile

The right people to see for this service are here; http://www.dpfgenie.co.uk

:cool:

Has anyone tried the additive being sold under various trade names on e--y.

They claim to clear the dpf if poured into a full fuel tank and then driven as normal.

Since reading the original post I have noticed my warning light flickers on/off when turning on the ignition.It may have been happening for quite some time but because I read this post am now probably looking for it.

What is the sequence of warnings that I should look for.Presumably the light stays on when there is a problem ?

Not had a vehicle with a dpf before.

Thanks

Most of VW's advertising states that vehicles equipped with DPF's should not be used for short journeys.

Diesels needs a thrashing every now and then, you won't damage or hurt them. We test these way into the red line and drive them around in the red for up to 20-30 minutes to test them.

You won't hurt them.

We have tried all the available gimmicks for cleaning DPF's, we have found them to not be as good as advertised.

If you're concerned take it to a VW garage (main stealer or indy) and get them to carry out a forced regeneration.

There are other options for DPF's talked about on other threads.

Personally I can't stand them, I've got a week old 140bhp van, on Saturday when we quieten down mine is being modified. We work on them daily, we see the damage they can do.

Hi Thannks for the reply.

Don't remove your dpf if thats the mod you were thinking of.

Read this week that any vehicle originally fitted with a dpf will fail new MOT requirements if one is not fitted and fully functional.
Going to be an expensive fix for those who have already removed their dpf :crazy

I can understand the need to push the engine occasionally ( The old Italian tune up ) as I used to do it with my VW Tdi Alhambra ( which didn't have a dpf but used to get pretty sooty until given a bit of a tharshing ).

My problem is that my Cali is a 173 Tiptronic and its a lot harder to push one of those than a manual as the vehicle will change gear if it goes outside its rev range even when in manual mode ( to protect the engine and auto gearbox )

Anyone else with a tiptronic have any advice regarding dpf ?

Also can a forced dpf regeneration be done through VCDS ?
If so can anyone post how to do it ?

Thanks

Thanks

You can remove the insides of a DPF which would mean its the same as fitting a bypass pipe however as the actual physical DPF (shell) is there it WILL pass the mot under the current procedures.

It does not mention or state it has to be working. For it to be tested as working the garage would have to carry out a forced regen regardless of the saturation level in the DPF.

This has the potential to cause damage to the vehicle and can take an hour or so to complete thus extending the mot time way beyond the set down accepted minimum and maximum time limits (it then becomes a loss).

You will be 100% ok removing the insides and re calibrating the ecu however this should be the last option especially when you ask a main stealer how much it's going to cost for a new replacement one (which will fill up again).

Zebedee, if your DPF light remains on and you go to the main dealer please make sure you tell them you followed the handbook instructions to the letter (you don't have to remember what it says just that you followed the handbook) otherwise they will say you deviated from the operating instructions and it's not covered by warranty and you need to replace it at your expense. :)

Hi Th Performance,

ok---you obviously know your stuff so I accept what you say about the dpf ( thats not a sarcy comment ).

Do you have any advice about what to do in the case of a Tiptronic model ?
My light just flickers on / off when the ignition is turned on. Its very brief but I hadn't noticed it before I had started reading this post ( although it may have been doing it and I hadn't noticed becasue I wasn't aware of its significance and its made me a bit paranoid ).

Does it mean that my Cali is in the early stages of being blocked or is it just showing that the warning system for it is operational ( like the seat belt and oil lights etc ).

How would I work a tiptronic hard to clear it ?
The 173 has so much torque it changes up through the gears to 6th so early its hard to keep the revs high and when put into manual mode the gearbox sensors only allow a certain amount of strain that it will take over and change gear up or down even in manual mode to stop damage to the gearbox.

Any thoughts ?

Best thing to do is find your local dealer or indy and get them to check the ash levels, that way you will know for sure.

I can't say i've seen them flicker on start up as you say, it would be impossible and mad for me to try and guess why without seeing it.

Regards

Terry

Fortunately I have not seen any more warning lights but I do try to give Zebedee a bit of a run once a month when we are not just ferrying around 11yr olds and small dogs! I am also careful to stop for diesel before we go into the red! Seems to have worked so far. My neighbour who has an ordinary T5 says he gets this sometimes and just gives it a blast.

Zebedee

Be careful with dpf warnings.

From a mate in the car trade, I have heard that manufacturers have attempted to invalidate warranty claims when folk drive a car with this light on for 70 miles or so. I quite understand that a warning light is there for a reason, but I do not understand dpf's well enough to decide whether this is fair or not.

Yet another ticking time bomb that vw has embedded in our vehicles, and that could rinse us in the future. I use the more expensive diesels - this is honest john's advice. I also avoid snail type driving as I hate slowing other road users down. And as ever, with all matters vw Audi, I also pray.

Yet another ticking time bomb that vw has embedded in our vehicles, and that could rinse us in the future. I use the more expensive diesels - this is honest john's advice. I also avoid snail type driving as I hate slowing other road users down. And as ever, with all matters vw Audi, I also pray.

Not VWs fault, they have to get the engine to meet the emission regs & this is the current way most manufacturers do it. Larger vehicles do this with adBlue system & believe me this is more of a nightmare that you definitely do not want on your vehicle.

Back