Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dog Proof Awnings

PONOS47

PONOS47

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hello - i have looked through a number of posts trying to get a feel for the best awning for using with a California which will be dog proof (keep them in, not out !). I have seen that many dogs adapt very quickly and have their 'spot' in the van. The problem that we have is that we have a large Border Collie mix who is a rescue dog and is petrified of everything - so a new environment is going to be a challenge at first that we are prepared to give a go but obviously welcome any advice ! Many thanks.

Vango Galli keeps ours in & he likes the open front porch for daytime snoozing (or barking at anything that moves!); Best get one one with a fixed groundsheet otherwise they will find a way out.

Last edited:
Hello - i have looked through a number of posts trying to get a feel for the best awning for using with a California which will be dog proof (keep them in, not out !). I have seen that many dogs adapt very quickly and have their 'spot' in the van. The problem that we have is that we have a large Border Collie mix who is a rescue dog and is petrified of everything - so a new environment is going to be a challenge at first that we are prepared to give a go but obviously welcome any advice ! Many thanks.
Can’t comment as to the best, with 2 beagles we use the Comfortz room & if we need to strong ground stakes. Re fixed ground sheets, just be aware some sites don’t allow theses.
Good on you for taking a rescue, goodness knows what horrors the poor dogs been through. Time, love & patience will work wonders, good luck.

I have both the Comfortz room and Vango Kela - with careful pegging near the van the Kela keeps the dogs in no problem.

I think it’s harder with the Comfortz room - you would need the extra panels to attach to the velcro and then use magnetic strips to hold them on to the van. I made my own but I think the shop sells them too.

I have both the Comfortz room and Vango Kela - with careful pegging near the van the Kela keeps the dogs in no problem.

I think it’s harder with the Comfortz room - you would need the extra panels to attach to the velcro and then use magnetic strips to hold them on to the van. I made my own but I think the shop sells them too.
We got the extra panels from the shop, they make a huge difference.
We like the C R as it’s quick, easy, versatile. We also find it fairly lightweight and easy to pack in the van.

That’s helpful to know Alison.....I guess it depends on how ‘dogged’ the dogs are though maybe? My friend had 2 chocolate labs who overnight chewed their way through the wall of their new extension so they could get back in to ‘their’ kitchen!

That’s helpful to know Alison.....I guess it depends on how ‘dogged’ the dogs are though maybe? My friend had 2 chocolate labs who overnight chewed their way through the wall of their new extension so they could get back in to ‘their’ kitchen!
Yup. I never leave my dogs unattended in the awning, but it does give me some level of relaxation. And would never trust a bitch in season in the awning even with dog fencing around at agility comps...

Yup. I never leave my dogs unattended in the awning, but it does give me some level of relaxation. And would never trust a bitch in season in the awning even with dog fencing around at agility comps...
Agreed, ours are never left alone either. It’s great additional space though at the very least for storing boots, wellies, coats etc, for cooking, setting up table & chairs.
We particularly like being able to use single, two or the three panels.

Many thanks for all the replies - much appreciated ! I am sure that once we get into it everything will settle down - just know that its going to be difficult without having a 'holding' area at first.

Our chocolate lab is a rescue but luckily, he’s just nosey and not scared.
We have a Comfortz room with panels and he busts his way through if there’s another dog to play with!
Take a bed, blanket, toys, anything that has their scent on to comfort them. Don’t have a separate van bed that may not be familiar to them.
11f87b243f27ee794c3bc88411223745.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our new Fox Red Lab (a rehoming) 18 mth old yesterday evening ate my waterproof hat, my Helly Hansen coat and some paperwork (my dog ate my homework?!) in 15 mins it took me to take a phone call....

Waiting for nature to work now.....

Our new Fox Red Lab (a rehoming) 18 mth old yesterday evening ate my waterproof hat, my Helly Hansen coat and some paperwork (my dog ate my homework?!) in 15 mins it took me to take a phone call....

A well rounded 3 course meal!

Jessie, 14 year old Wire-Haired Jack Russell, fancying a beer on our trip to Denmark/Sweden.
1594321543494.jpeg
Scooby, our 18 month old Fox Red Lab after eating my hat and coat.....what? What’s the matter?
1594321652673.jpeg

That’ll teach you to put your stuff away properly out of his reach :) Hope he’s okay.

We have a Khyam Motordome Drive-away awning with a high-sided ground sheet, where we put the dog bed during the day, then bring it in at night, as I don't think any awning could be properly 'dog proof'. A dog determined to escape will find a way! Our old labrador never attempted to escape, but we now have a year-old black lab who we wouldn't trust at all! So, when camped before lockdown, we had him on a long line stake in the awning, and kept an eye on him in case he got tangled up at all. He loved being out in the awning during the day and keeping an eye on everyone else on the campsite! :)

Thanks for all the answers - we have weighed them up along with a few calls to sites etc - it seems anything more than 3M is going to be an issue which helps narrow it down. Very silly question now.....when you attach the awning do you have to remove the 'wind out' awning that comes with the van ?

Thanks for all the answers - we have weighed them up along with a few calls to sites etc - it seems anything more than 3M is going to be an issue which helps narrow it down. Very silly question now.....when you attach the awning do you have to remove the 'wind out' awning that comes with the van ?

No, there is a slot on the leading edge of the roller awning, so you can attach the freestanding awning when the roll out awning is closed; you just release the Roll out awning a tiny bit and the slot is hidden under the front edge flap.