Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dog Cages

Cazza400

Cazza400

VIP Member
Anyone have any advice of travelling with dogs in a Cali Beach (3seater) - just bought one and can't find any cage companies with any examples of stuff they have done. Grateful for any advice :D

We've recently purchased a 3 seater beach and have 2 dogs. What's we've done for now is simply purchased a cage from Argos which goes in the main area when travelling. We can slide the bench seat forward to stop the cage moving around on the floor. That being said we don't have anyone using the back seats when we're travelling.

Hi, congratulations on becoming a Cali owner :thumb

There is a thread on here in the Cali dogs section about travelling options but I don't think there is a definitive answer to be had on that one.

When taking all of my girls in mine, I have decided on 2 in the rear in a Croft Sunburst crate http://www.croftonline.co.uk/scp/Soft%5 ... rtno=SFT92 which is a super fit on the floor with the rear shelf pushed up and bungee-strapped tightly round the head rests (this way, the rear shelf makes a built in dog guard of sorts too, and I leave the mattress there, which slides down and covers the long gap beside the 2seater bench in my SE). This crate will also fit on top of the rear shelf and mattress if I want the girls to have a better view from the rear window or to store boxes etc. underneath.

I then have another one of my girls in a smaller Croft crate, wedged snugly in between the rear bench and the back of the passenger seat http://www.croftonline.co.uk/scp/Soft_f ... rtno=CFT77

And finally Hermione (a bit of a princess who likes to have a ride with a view) sits on the rear bench, attached by her Bergan (crash tested) car harness which I have been very impressed with in its level of restraint and comfort, with no twisting up.

They all travel happily like this and I have still have room for two adult passengers as well as me so with the extra room you have in the Beach, there are plenty of options!

Obviously it depends on whether you are after a metal or a fabric crate/s - Having had numerous shapes and makes of crates in the past, I prefer soft crates for lightness, no rattles and comfort for the dogs when leaning against the sides to sleep, but they are not for every dog - and some I have seen in pet shops are very poorly made and flimsy. My girls have all been crate trained from puppies so happily travel in fabric crates and the Croft ones are sturdy and easy to put up and down.

We have a Barjo dog guard and tailgate combination in the Landcover and I love having the tailgate guard but don't know if they would make one for the California because of the extra thickness of the tailgate where the seats are stored.

Sorry to go on - I could talk dogs all day :lol:

Maud

Great advice everyone - I think soft crate is the way forward for me and my springer boys! Grateful for all your help :thanks