Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does this come out & if so, how - have leak above headliner and need some help. Thanks

FredFlintstone

FredFlintstone

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Last weekend we thought we'd cracked it..

This weekend we realised that.. we hadn't!

Last weekend we established that the drain behind the vehicle battery was blocked, so we unblocked it and everything appeared good.

Does this block come up - or come out? Reason for asking is that I'm contemplating sealing around it if I can.. Could this be the issue

Really quite upset and demoralised ATM..

20240511_115407.jpg

Last weekend we thought we'd cracked it..

This weekend we realised that.. we hadn't!

Last weekend we established that the drain behind the vehicle battery was blocked, so we unblocked it and everything appeared good.

Does this block come up - or come out? Reason for asking is that I'm contemplating sealing around it if I can.. Could this be the issue

Really quite upset and demoralised ATM..

View attachment 123187
Don’t try to remove it, you’ll probably make it worse and pull off the drain tube, just clean it and use a sealant around and under the edges, making sure you don’t seal the drain under the cable (I put a bit of dowel in the hole while I applied the sealant . The sealant I used was V Tech Auto Sealer, from Halfords. Are you “happy “ that the drain tube is still connected?

Last edited:
That looks pretty spick and span. Difficult to see what’s wrong with it.
Are you sure the leak isn’t coming from around the cowell? Has it had the terrible roof repair or had a plastic cap put on?

Are you sure the leak isn’t coming from around the cowell? Has it had the terrible roof repair or had a plastic cap put on?
Mine looked the same! But it’s just a friction fit and if water collects before going down the drain it can makes its way in. It’s also worth checking that both drive and passenger sides are ok. Mine was leaking on the passenger side and water was running across the inner roof panel and dripping down the drivers A pillar. The borescope was a godsend! I originally thought it was a leaking windscreen.

Don’t try to remove it, you’ll probably make it worse and pull off the drain tube, just clean it and use a sealant around and under the edges, making sure you don’t seal the drain under the cable (I put a bit of dowel in the hole while I applied the sealant . The sealant I used was V Tech Auto Sealer, from Halfords. Are you “happy “ that the drain tube is still connected?
I peeled back as much as I could, cleaned with IPA and resealed. Drain tube was free earlier stuck in 2 syringes and collected the same amount at the other end. Plan to water test tomorrow.

When I see pics like this, it reinforces (for me) that the square 'grommet' IS the faliure point.

Screenshot_20240511_131204_Facebook.jpg

Can you add some pics of where you mean exactly? It has had a cap.

For some people the front cap corrodes and the repair involves glueing a plastic cap on over the top of the original. This often looks like a very bad repair and prone to leaking.
Just to me the grommet picture looked fine.

For some people the front cap corrodes and the repair involves glueing a plastic cap on over the top of the original. This often looks like a very bad repair and prone to leaking.
Just to me the grommet picture looked fine.
Agree. I’ve had the cap fitted years ago - it looks fine. But I’ve resealed the ‘back’ of the cap as the sealant had dried and cracked leaving a potential area for water penetration. All looking good again now - better safe than sorry.

The only reason I mentioned the cap is that someone had an issue a week ago. Sorry I can’t find the thread as search function is broken.
Water leaks are very difficult to trace and frustrating.
I have had one - different, in the footwell - and it was tricky to diagnose and fix. TBH I think I still have occasional small leaks. I think gravity and the various drains and grommets work 95% of the time. But jet washing and heavy downpours sometimes let a bit in. On a 2008 camper van I think that’s ok. I’m v careful with the jet washer near the cap etc.

Reminds me I should clean around there.

Last edited:
Back