Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does the Cali Ocean offer Value for Money?

If you are on your own, maybe.:thumb

NO...
It’s honestly no more difficult.
I genuinely believe the 2 seat Beach with slight modification would offer the best solution

This is a rough sketch.
I would look at having the fridge mounted into the kitchen unit on sliding rails.
Small draw above fridge for storage.
The other side of the unit would have a roll up door to store gas small gas bottle, plus shell for plates and pot and pans.
Vanessa window bags on rear windows
Rear sliding shelf under rear multi flex

8D99B250-4E9F-4403-9D02-9E4A71BA9F2C.jpeg

The diesel heater is a must on the Beach and if I bought another I would mount a second leisure battery under the drivers seat.
Note I powered my fridge last time off the 12v system and had a Ctek battery charger mounted permanently in the van which ran the fridge and charged the leisure battery when I was on hook-up

I thought this might become another beach vs ocean debate and it has!

My only 2p worth is that I shudder when I see some beach set ups with kettles sitting high up on tall camping stoves, occasionally standing on diy tables just clipped into the rail. Also electric kettles with cables strewn across the floor or across the seat armrests (also happens in Oceans).

Using a gas kettle on a properly installed stove must be the safer route (which includes a well designed beach pod).

It always will pop up.
But having owned both vans. They definitely have their advantages and disadvantages.
It’s very much a personal choice.

I find a few members here have tunnel vision with their choice of Cali.
But actually, what works for one may not work for another. Each to their own.

I thought this might become another beach vs ocean debate and it has!

My only 2p worth is that I shudder when I see some beach set ups with kettles sitting high up on tall camping stoves, occasionally standing on diy tables just clipped into the rail. Also electric kettles with cables strewn across the floor or across the seat armrests (also happens in Oceans).

Using a gas kettle on a properly installed stove must be the safer route (which includes a well designed beach pod).
Interesting point, especially in light of the current thread discussing whether insurance policies are including cover for damage/loss due accidents related to “camping” rather than motoring..... a stove fire etc. Given that the Beach doesn’t come equipped with a kitchen what would the insurance companies response be to a claim?

Given that the Beach doesn’t come equipped with a kitchen what would the insurance companies response be to a claim?
"oh dear, if you wanted to cook in your vehicle why didn't you buy a campervan?"

lights blue touchpaper and stands well back......

Funnily enough.
Yesterday when I spoke to C&M club insurance about this. They stated that unless the gas system in an Ocean was inspected annually by a Corgi/Gas Safe engineer and a certificate covering was issued. Then you wouldn’t be insured.

Admiral on the other hand, insisted with their comprehensive insurance you would be covered in any event of fire regardless of how or where it started.

Funnily enough.
Yesterday when I spoke to C&M club insurance about this. They stated that unless the gas system in an Ocean was inspected annually by a Corgi/Gas Safe engineer and a certificate covering was issued. Then you wouldn’t be insured.

Admiral on the other hand, insisted with their comprehensive insurance you would be covered in any event of fire regardless of how or where it started.
Sadly Admiral don’t seem to be prepared to put it in writing.

Sadly Admiral don’t seem to be prepared to put it in writing.

I did get her to check high up the food chain. They seemed adiment that it was covered. I found it interesting that the Caravan and Motorhome club insisted on annual servicing. Not sure how many have their habitation area annually inspected here in the UK...?

Funnily enough.

I have just checked my old C&MC policy from last year. There is nothing stated anywhere regarding gas certification etc.

Thanks for all the information. I definitely think that the £10k saving after I have configured my preferred Beach set-up is a no-brainer for me and our current situation.

I think I'm up to speed on the fridge side of things so that's sorted.

As for a kettle/toaster - I assume you can plug travel versions into the mains power supply in the rear of the Beach? If that's the case, then I don't see it as a problem.

The table that comes with the Cali's easily fits inside the beach for cooking/eating etc. and I believe it clips on so ideal for us.

As for a sink and cleaning dishes, I'd just take a plastic basin and washing up liquid and use the water available on the pitch.

I've seen the Vanessa bags that attach to the windows which I think look like a very useful addition. The storage box in the Beach looks handy enough as well so beyond that, I think I'd just need to think out how to store clothes and all of our other bits n bobs, although, 99% of the time, I'd be looking to store them in the drive-away awning.

Of course, I'm well aware that I'm a total novice and may well be very naïve.

All help and advice much appreciated once again - very helpful place this is!

Thanks for all the information. I definitely think that the £10k saving after I have configured my preferred Beach set-up is a no-brainer for me and our current situation.

I think I'm up to speed on the fridge side of things so that's sorted.

As for a kettle/toaster - I assume you can plug travel versions into the mains power supply in the rear of the Beach? If that's the case, then I don't see it as a problem.

The table that comes with the Cali's easily fits inside the beach for cooking/eating etc. and I believe it clips on so ideal for us.

As for a sink and cleaning dishes, I'd just take a plastic basin and washing up liquid and use the water available on the pitch.

I've seen the Vanessa bags that attach to the windows which I think look like a very useful addition. The storage box in the Beach looks handy enough as well so beyond that, I think I'd just need to think out how to store clothes and all of our other bits n bobs, although, 99% of the time, I'd be looking to store them in the drive-away awning.

Of course, I'm well aware that I'm a total novice and may well be very naïve.

All help and advice much appreciated once again - very helpful place this is!
Just be aware the apparent 10k saving soon starts shrinking when you start speccing a lot of the extras that are standard on the Ocean. Have a look at a brochure to compare, you can get a Beach at a good saving compared to an Ocean but they have a lot of not so obvious differences ie
inferior headlights, basic dash, no 3 zone climatronic air con,fog lights, mfsw, power latching to doors, parking heater, 2 x sliding windows to rear, heated front seats, folding door mirrors etc etc. You get my point.
Research is key to making the right decision for you as both are great vehicles.

I have just checked my old C&MC policy from last year. There is nothing stated anywhere regarding gas certification etc.

I was on the phone to them yesterday. 35mins until i got to the bottom of what was and wasn't covered. That was the official response from them and ended up being the deal breaker.
To much of a grey area...

Hi @MTM84 -- I'm super happy with my 2-seat-bench Beach which I've had since january this yr. I use it for a variety of purposes - either solo climbing/hill walking trips or trips with the children camping.

I particularly like the king sized bed and the super flexible storage box.

I've got the night heater which really turns the van into a home from home on cold nights.

Got a fridge (Dometic CFX-28) which fits nicely behind the passenger seat and I can still turn it round -plugged into both 12v and the 240v socket & it switches depending on what's available, so far the longest I've tested it without driving van was 1 day and 2 nights over weekend at Volskworld show with heating on both nights...it kept going fine.

I am Planning to hardwire the fridge to the leisure battery (via anderson connectors) & have created an extension lead from 6mm^2 automotive cable so it can go into an awning/tent (haven't installed that yet) & am also planning on solar panels so I can go off grid for much much longer

Haven't felt the need for Vanessa window bags yet -- just try and take less 'stuff'. Bucket in the back for washing up.

I've found a small folding gas stove on a cork heatproof mat great for making tea, stable and super quick, but haven't made a full dinner in the van yet. Not interested in toast whilst camping. This either goes on the Beach table, or a tray on the box, or a slot in small table depending on circumstances.

I never looked at an Ocean, although did hire a conversion and wasn't particularly enamoured with the space that a kitchen unit took up -- and of course in the 2-seat Bench I can add a pod somewhere & remove the box and replace with something else. Also wasn't interested in the 3-seat bench Beach as I like the flexibility that the 2-seat bench offers.

Hope this helps in some way.

Just for completeness here, isn't the 3 seater bench seat higher than the 2 seater, making it difficult to sit up straight in bed if you lanky like me?

Scenario.
You arrive at your chosen campsite and it's raining. Typical UK summer shower. You park your California Ocean, pop the roof, move to the back, fill the kettle from the tap, and make a cuppa. Might have to get out to switch the gas on, and wait for the shower to pass.

You arrive at your chosen campsite and it's raining. Typical UK summer shower. You park your California Beach, pop the roof and??????
... make a cup of tea. Only in our case we can be sipping our first cup of "Beach" tea before you've got back from turning the gas on. Even when we had an SE we would boil water and put it into a jug thermos flask before setting out. It saves so much faffing around. Even if we brew from scratch we merely have to get the items from the boot. Hardly a major issue.

I'm not saying that either vehicle is best. I'm merely stating that there are very few things that cannot be done with similar ease in either version. It just boils down to which version you prefer.

To sum it up

caliO
caliB2
caliB3

Great versatile vehicles, that evoke passion from their owners, who use them in a Myriad of different ways that suit their particular needs despite all models providing compromises.

Compromises can be worked around for each different scenario.

No one way suits everyone, a bit like life really.

You make your choice and you pay your money and use it how the heck you like!

If there was no demand for different configurations VW simply would not sell the various new configurations!

Get out there and enjoy life whilst you can, you won’t get out alive or with your savings, I can be certain of that! :)

Play nicely !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To sum it up

caliO
caliB2
caliB3

Great versatile vehicles, that evoke passion from their owners, who use them in a Myriad of different ways that suit their particular needs despite all models providing compromises.

Compromises can be worked around for each different scenario.

No one way suits everyone, a bit like life really.

You make your choice and you pay your money and use it how the heck you like!

If there was no demand for different configurations VW simply would not sell the various new configurations!

Get out there and enjoy life whilst you can, you won’t get out alive or with your savings, I can be certain of that! :)

Play nicely !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% All 3 versions have compromises. Everybody's wants and needs are different.

But in this case the OP is leaning towards the Beach so the Beach Wins! :bananadance2:Iamsorry

Hi @MTM84 -- I'm super happy with my 2-seat-bench Beach which I've had since january this yr. I use it for a variety of purposes - either solo climbing/hill walking trips or trips with the children camping.

I particularly like the king sized bed and the super flexible storage box.

I've got the night heater which really turns the van into a home from home on cold nights.

Got a fridge (Dometic CFX-28) which fits nicely behind the passenger seat and I can still turn it round -plugged into both 12v and the 240v socket & it switches depending on what's available, so far the longest I've tested it without driving van was 1 day and 2 nights over weekend at Volskworld show with heating on both nights...it kept going fine.

I am Planning to hardwire the fridge to the leisure battery (via anderson connectors) & have created an extension lead from 6mm^2 automotive cable so it can go into an awning/tent (haven't installed that yet) & am also planning on solar panels so I can go off grid for much much longer

Haven't felt the need for Vanessa window bags yet -- just try and take less 'stuff'. Bucket in the back for washing up.

I've found a small folding gas stove on a cork heatproof mat great for making tea, stable and super quick, but haven't made a full dinner in the van yet. Not interested in toast whilst camping. This either goes on the Beach table, or a tray on the box, or a slot in small table depending on circumstances.

I never looked at an Ocean, although did hire a conversion and wasn't particularly enamoured with the space that a kitchen unit took up -- and of course in the 2-seat Bench I can add a pod somewhere & remove the box and replace with something else. Also wasn't interested in the 3-seat bench Beach as I like the flexibility that the 2-seat bench offers.

Hope this helps in some way.

Thanks, that’s really helpful. Thanks for the fridge recommendation, I’ll look that up. When you say you have two wires plugged in at the same time, do you buy these cables separately and they just plug straight into the fridge?

Should I decide to move the fridge into an awning at night, is there a longer cable I can buy that will allow the fridge to continue to operate?

Thanks!

Yes, I think so.
Thanks, that’s really helpful. Thanks for the fridge recommendation, I’ll look that up. When you say you have two wires plugged in at the same time, do you buy these cables separately and they just plug straight into the fridge?

Should I decide to move the fridge into an awning at night, is there a longer cable I can buy that will allow the fridge to continue to operate?

Thanks!

Hi @MTM84 -- I've replied to part of this question in the fridge thread....with a couple of pics....sorry got confused with the different posts!

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/ok-guys-fridge.13600/page-8

with regards to the extension lead, essentially, as extensively discussed in this thread:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...-hard-wiring-fridge-to-leisure-battery.17642/

there is an issue with voltage drop along 12v cables meaning that the fridge is likely to cut out prematurely. Therefore, as described in the thread, people have "hardwired" their fridge into the leisure battery directly (thus avoiding all the connections and thin wire that's hidden behind the panels) -- using much thicker automotive cabling (lower resistance, less voltage drop).

I have created the bits of cabling to do this myself, following the instructions in the thread above. I've made myself a 5 metre extension cable using 6mm^2 automotive cable and anderson connectors. However I've not installed it yet but will report back once up and running!

didn't this start of is an ocean good value ? as in compared to a conversion ? surely a conversion also has a kitchen in it compared to a beach ? anyway i've had a beach and an ocean. in terrible weather the ocean wins. and we have a lot of terrible weather. as for the tea making race, we could have 1? . other than that they are both good.

Yes, I think so.

Hi @MTM84 -- I've replied to part of this question in the fridge thread....with a couple of pics....sorry got confused with the different posts!

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/ok-guys-fridge.13600/page-8

with regards to the extension lead, essentially, as extensively discussed in this thread:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...-hard-wiring-fridge-to-leisure-battery.17642/

there is an issue with voltage drop along 12v cables meaning that the fridge is likely to cut out prematurely. Therefore, as described in the thread, people have "hardwired" their fridge into the leisure battery directly (thus avoiding all the connections and thin wire that's hidden behind the panels) -- using much thicker automotive cabling (lower resistance, less voltage drop).

I have created the bits of cabling to do this myself, following the instructions in the thread above. I've made myself a 5 metre extension cable using 6mm^2 automotive cable and anderson connectors. However I've not installed it yet but will report back once up and running!

I don’t think I could go down the hardwiring route as I’ll be pcp’ing the car and don’t know what VW would say if I chose to return it?

Back