Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do you think this is a potential future problem

Toothlessjon

Toothlessjon

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I removed My passenger seat to install a cable from my solar controller and it seems there are a large number of single insulated cables that run under the metal seat bracket, my concern is that one or more could rub against the edge and short out. Do you think I am over reacting? I’ll post a picture shortly.

598339BC-51F3-4C5D-8CB9-454C38AA8F52.jpeg

This is on a 2019 T6 Ocean.

Might be worth putting a length of of protection along the sharp edge. A bit of pvc tube split lengthwise should do it.
Yes I tried to fit one in between but it was too tight. There’s a black bracket that supports the charger relay again the battery cable is tight against that bracket, but I managed to fit some door edging strip on that.

My motors going in for a service at the end of the month, I’ll get them to have a look at it.

You are perfectly right.
A couple of months ago, I tried to track down a weird electrical fault in a California. I removed the seat and found a green spot on one of those cables running under the particular metal sheet bracket. When handling the cable it came apart in two pieces. Had to remove the seat base/frame and solder it back together. Then no more electric fault :) This particular California had probably in the past suffered water ingress thru the sliding window or something, there where a lot of corroding underneath the seat base/frame...

You are perfectly right.
A couple of months ago, I tried to track down a weird electrical fault in a California. I removed the seat and found a green spot on one of those cables running under the particular metal sheet bracket. When handling the cable it came apart in two pieces. Had to remove the seat base/frame and solder it back together. Then no more electric fault :) This particular California had probably in the past suffered water ingress thru the sliding window or something, there where a lot of corroding underneath the seat base/frame...
Very interesting. After installing the solar I had to pack everything back in the cupboards, so thought I’d have a sort out. When I opened the bedding drawer under the rear seat, I noticed it was damp at the back. On feeling around the rear of the drawer was slightly wet, behind the drawer was very wet, so I wonder if the corrosion you found was due to years of condensation? Just a thought.

I removed My passenger seat to install a cable from my solar controller and it seems there are a large number of single insulated cables that run under the metal seat bracket, my concern is that one or more could rub against the edge and short out. Do you think I am over reacting? I’ll post a picture shortly.

View attachment 74561

This is on a 2019 T6 Ocean.
Just wondering why you are connecting to the under seat battery rather than the rear one?

Just normal VW crappy wiring, its never been great, better than some but certainly not the worst...

I also connected the mppt to the front LB, as I use a portable panel laid on the dash. I did see the jam of wires, but they are not in a part subject to move/chafing, they are covered by the rubber battery cover, protected by mechanical friction/movements as they are under the front seat, and protected from the elements as they are inside the van. I personally don't see a need for yet additional protection.

I think that connection is to charge the Engine Battery.
I also connected the mppt to the front LB, as I use a portable panel laid on the dash. I did see the jam of wires, but they are not in a part subject to move/chafing, they are covered by the rubber battery cover, protected by mechanical friction/movements as they are under the front seat, and protected from the elements as they are inside the van. I personally don't see a need for yet additional protection.
The ones I am referring to are not covered by the rubber battery cover. I am sure they will be okay for a while, and we are not hearing of VWs bursting in to flames, so I guess that tells a story. However, I do not like the idea of single insulated cables being installed tight against metal and vibration can really have an impact. But again I would guess there are cables laid tightly against the metal work of the vehicle all over the place.

Back