Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do sites allow van plus v large tent on van pitch?

K-Rog

K-Rog

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi does anyone know how it works on the majority of sites if I was to bring the Cali plus a large (6-8man tent?). I have 3 kids so the tent would be for living and storage space.
I have previously brought an inflatable shelter from decathlon and most sites charged it as an awning, but I don’t think I’ll get away with this with a very large tent.
Would you just pay for van+awning (or tent if it’s an option), or just book a large tent pitch since the van doesn’t use any more space than a car would?
Thanks

Will be charged as two units on most sites

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

.... probably for the same reason you're charged for two people rather than one and dogs, and awnings and [believe it or not] windbreaks and anything else you can be charged for!

Hi everybody.
We quite often have the Cali, a largish caravan (7.5m) with inflatable awning, and have only ever been charged for 1 pitch, in the UK and France.
Cheers

Do you know Why this is the case if the tent and van fit on one pitch?
Because they can. May be lucky & be charged only a supplement for it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

'Posh' sites may well charge 2 pitches. More relaxed places often would let you do it if the pitch is big enough.

How is that you pay for your pitch, which is generally a set size on mainstream sites, then charge more for an awning that is within the pitch area?
I know it's more to do with "because they can" but then if you don't encroach on another pitch where's the problem!

Its their pitch so they can make up any rules they like. Usually to increase their income.
You decide whether or not to stay. I tend to go elsewhere if they add too much for 'extras'

How is that you pay for your pitch, which is generally a set size on mainstream sites, then charge more for an awning that is within the pitch area?
I know it's more to do with "because they can" but then if you don't encroach on another pitch where's the problem!
Awnings Kill grass if up for long enough then the next person comes along and ends up with bare mud.

Good question and it was one if my worries. All depends on the site, ive got a drive away awning now but been on many sites and seen standalone tents next to Campers because lets face it, a driveaway awning is basically a tent with £300 added on the price because of a tiny corridor to a camper. Just phone the campsite before you book and explain your situation, most usually will accommodate you but best finding out rather than them trying to double charge you when all set up ;-) PS Do love that driveaway awning corridor though when its raining ;-)

Good question and it was one if my worries. All depends on the site, ive got a drive away awning now but been on many sites and seen standalone tents next to Campers because lets face it, a driveaway awning is basically a tent with £300 added on the price because of a tiny corridor to a camper. Just phone the campsite before you book and explain your situation, most usually will accommodate you but best finding out rather than them trying to double charge you when all set up ;-) PS Do love that driveaway awning corridor though when its raining ;-)
I recall that if a site is licensed to accommodate X number of tents/vans/caravans then that relates to a single “unit”, which can include an attached awning. So a separate stand alone tent would be counted as a unit and would be charged accordingly.

I recall that if a site is licensed to accommodate X number of tents/vans/caravans then that relates to a single “unit”, which can include an attached awning. So a separate stand alone tent would be counted as a unit and would be charged accordingly.
I know,, but thats what i read on these forums and if the site sticks to the rules of the letter, but in real life, there a business and do it to make money, so as long as the sites have your money and your a sensible considerate camper, dont think they care too much unless the fun police are on site. Like i said b4, just phone up to ask and see how the grass lies (pun intended)! Tent, driveaway awning, same thing, you say tomotoe, i say tomatoe :-D dont worry too much, just enjoy your holiday. You will find some other campers with all kinds of sets up, awnings, tents, wind breakers, bbqs, fire pits, 10 cars, 50 people, 8 dogs, horses, dinosaurs etc.

Last edited:
Thanks all! I’ve called a couple of sites and they’ve said they would just charge for a tent pitch so I guess it’s just a case of checking beforehand so there are no surprises.

Thanks all! I’ve called a couple of sites and they’ve said they would just charge for a tent pitch so I guess it’s just a case of checking beforehand so there are no surprises.
Many “ ⛺️ “ pitches don’t have Mains Hookup available so another question to ask if you require it.

Hi does anyone know how it works on the majority of sites if I was to bring the Cali plus a large (6-8man tent?). I have 3 kids so the tent would be for living and storage space.
I have previously brought an inflatable shelter from decathlon and most sites charged it as an awning, but I don’t think I’ll get away with this with a very large tent.
Would you just pay for van+awning (or tent if it’s an option), or just book a large tent pitch since the van doesn’t use any more space than a car would?
Thanks
Try camping and caravan site
ttps://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAjw98rpBRAuEiwALmo-ymcpW7N4fuI4inceouY1B1WPaAqcLrmGRbY0G0hXHEoP3QUTpLaDcRoC8vMQAvD_BwE

Back