do I plug a 50K van into the mains

Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I am seeking advise on the electrical hook up. I have worked out and understand how most things work on my van but have never plug a car into the grid before and do not want to get it wrong!!

What are the basics to hooking up The do's and do nots? :!:

What order is it best to hook up ? plug to van / plug to hook up /turn power breaker in van to on.

Are the hook ups at campsites standard?

To hook up to home I take it I would need a lead with a standard plug and if so what size fuse would you use ? 5amp

1 am sure this is basic stuff and old hand Cali owners will have a host of advise for me (simple none too technical answers welcome)

thanks in advance

Hi Andy,
If you haven't already got a hook up lead you'll need a 25m to be sure you can reach the mains bollards on some sites. If touring abroad you may need longer - but I've always manged to get a pitch within 25m. Most sites abroad now have trhe same standard connections but some may have the two prong connection (you should have been given an adapter with the Cali to allow you to connect standard to two prong). Some say it is essential to check polarity. I don't want to start any arguments and will not respond to any who disagree but I have never checked polarity on any site home or abroad in 4 years cali ownership and tens of years caravan ownership. It is a safety issue though if you plan to do any work on the electrical system as sockets may still be live even when switched off.
I leave my power breaker/supply switch in the van permanently on and have done for 4 years of ownership with no problems although it is recommended that it is switched on after connecting.
Always connect to the van first before connecting to the mains/ mains bollards.
Most UK sites will be standard connections, the only difference being the power rating (amps) supply available.
To connect at home you can buy the short lead with a 13 amp plug at one end and the female connector at the other.
I believe the above to be safe procedure BUT disregard the polarity staement if concerned and buy a polarity tester.

Hubert

Go Outdoors or Towsure at Northam will have a short lead to connect hubert describes to your household mains if you don't already have it. They aren't expensive. I bought one and modified it by adding some 13A 3 core cable to make it long enough to plug it in the garage with the van on the drive. It's good practice to plug the van in at least overnight before you travel to top up the leisure batteries etc. and it means you can run the fridge overnight before you go to get it to temperature.

I have a couple of these leads left in my store I can do you a uk 3 pin adapter and a euro 2pin
Adapter for £12 inc postage. Send me a pm if your interested :thumb

Thanks for the clear info Hurbert most helpful and reasuring , I will pick extra bits at Go outdoor as just up the road, but thanks for the offer Calikev
:thanks

Andy

We tend to keep two 10m leads in the van which works for us most of the time.

When connecting, connect the van end first. When disconnecting, disconnect at the supply end first. Its a good habit to be in and avoids the loose end of the cable being "live".

Its a good habit not to coil up any loose cable too as it can get a bit warm.

Well have pluged her in no BANG and all worked thanks again for advise

On some UK sites, you have to turn the plug on the mains bollard until it clicks, and press a button to release . . . . pretty easy to work out. To check that current is getting through to charge up the batteries, look at the control panel - battery symbol in bottom right hand corner should be plug logo when charging, G symbol; when driving. Connections at some campsites can be poor and need a bit of fiddling.

A easy way to plug your Cali into the mains at home to keep the batterys charged up, especially in the winter, is to make one of these.

006-1.jpg

All you need is a short lenth of cable a mains plug with a 13A fuse and a femail plug to connect your mains hookup lead into.

As for protection when connecting reverse polarity the Cali has a combined residual-current circuit breaker with overload protection (RCBO) which combines the functions of overcurrent protection and leakage detection.

The automatic personal protection circuit-breaker S59
(also known as a residual-current-operated circuitbreaker)
is located at the back of the cupboard in the
middle compartment. It is used to protect people and
also the electrical cables. For personal protection, it
shuts off the 230 volt power supply when there is a
fault current over 10mA and, for line protection, at a
load of 13A or short-circuit.

So the Cali would give you protection as it incorporates a RCD device that disconnects a circuit whenever it detects that the electric current is not balanced between the energized conductor and the return neutral conductor. Such an imbalance may indicate current leakage through the body of a person who is grounded and accidentally touching the energized part of the circuit. A lethal shock can result from these conditions. RCD's are designed to disconnect quickly enough to prevent injury caused by such shocks.

The only thing to bear in mind is that any fuses on the mains devices that you connect to your Cali would now be on the neutral side rather than line (live side) of the mains power connected to your Cali so would not offer any protection if there is a short to earth.

This is why its worth considering buying a polarity tester and a reverse polarity adaptor if you plan to use your Cali in Europe. :thumb

John

I've used my tester while away this week. Power at the site in France was fine but where we are now in Switzerland it was reversed so have used my reversed polarity lead.
Don't know how dangerous reverse polarity is in the cali world but its nice to know i've taken all necessary precautions.
Thanks to the advice from this forum :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Freeley said:
where we are now in Switzerland

Apologies for the hijack but where are you in Switzerland, any recommendations - Could be there next week myself

Stu said:
Freeley said:
where we are now in Switzerland

Apologies for the hijack but where are you in Switzerland, any recommendations - Could be there next week myself

We have been in grindelwald for 5 nights the site is called gletscherdorf at the far end of the town. Sat nav took us right to the doorstep.
If you are going to that area you MUST stay there - site is at the base of 4 mountains one of which is the eiger.
Quite simply the best site I've ever stayed at! Facilities a bit on the old side but very clean.
As Hubert said when he recommended it to me you can spend a week there and not do the same walk twice.
Werner the owner is so laid back its untrue, i regret leaving today already. Not the cheapest but worth every penny (44 CHF per night with electric)

We are now at camping Alpenblick on the shore of lake thunnasee at interlaken but don't like it and will probably move on tomorrow

Stu said:
Bet you wish you hadn't given away that vignette now! (it was you wasn't it stu?)

Back