Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do I need a mattress topper upstairs for the kids?

Sacha

Sacha

Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
Hi all

We are finally picking up our Cali next week and are pulling together the basics for our first few trips away I’m just wondering if kids can sleep upstairs without a mattress topper? I’m hoping so, them me and my husband can afford to splash out on the Zone Sleep for downstairs!

Thanks for any advice.

Hi and Welcome.

My 2 7yo girls sleep upstairs and we've not had any issues with them.

When we originally hired a van my wife slept up there one night and here verdict is its more comfortable than downstairs, as a result we went for a Comfortz topper downstairs.

If pos before committing it may be worth trying to get look at the various options, the forum shop probably not that far. We managed to and tried the zonesleep and Comfortz.

Jason

We use comfortz memory foam topper downstairs. I have a spare one thinking of selling.
I think it’s down to personal preference when working out the best solution for a comfortable sleep.

Hi Sacha. We don't use a mattress topper in our van, either upstairs or downstairs, we've never felt the need to. On the odd occasion when we sleep downstairs we do usually loose-lay a small lightweight quilt that is enough to take the edge off the join between the bench seat back and the rear shelf mattress. It also doubles as a nice comfy 'rug' that Mrs VD likes for sitting outside on a cool evening.

As a lot of us say to new owners, repeatedly: unless money is no object, don't buy lots of stuff for your Cali before you get it. Try it out first "as VW intended". First time out, just take ordinary household bedding etc. You might well find you don't actually need a lot of the special gear that some folks like to lug around.

Same goes, IMO, for van toppers (got one, barely used it), awnings (never bothered with one), ladder to get upstairs (nah). The list of special stuff talked about on this forum is endless, but most of it is for wusses.

(Tin helmet on) :happy

I have probably slept in the upper berth for 200 of the past 365 nights. Absolutely not a problem.

The lower berth is far less comfortable (3 seat bench Beach) and needs a decent topper.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Thanks for the advice folks! I’m gonna wait and see ignorance it’s comfy enough without!

Roll on next Friday collection day. We’ve had to rush to get it registered this week to save on the 400 quid tax increase due to immission changes!

The upper berth has proper motorhome slated wooden spring frame so it does not need one.

The upper berth has proper motorhome slated wooden spring frame so it does not need one.
Agreed, very comfortable upstairs.

Plus do give some thought as to where you are going to store all these bulky extras alongside all your other necessities when packed for driving, in 'daytime' layout and in 'nighttime' layout.

Top advice =
Try it out first "as VW intended". First time out, just take ordinary household bedding etc. You might well find you don't actually need a lot of the special gear that some folks like to lug around.

Agree with the advice to wait, discover your real needs and then buy. We've always slept upstairs and it's perfect.

The only time we had a bad nights sleep was when the van wasn't level (nose lower than tail). That made me buy some levellers and since then it's always been fine.

Agree with the advice to wait, discover your real needs and then buy. We've always slept upstairs and it's perfect.

The only time we had a bad nights sleep was when the van wasn't level (nose lower than tail). That made me buy some levellers and since then it's always been fine.
Then why don't you have the 9 zones pocket spring mattress for you.I have used it in my van and i have felt so comfortable after using it.

My 10 and 12 year olds sleep upstairs on the VW mattress and find it very comfortable. Downstairs is another story, we have a Zonesleep and if I could have two I would!!

Back