Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DIY Rear Camera fitting tips

D

deccauk

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I recently posted about my indecision on whether to get a genuine VW rear view camera fitted. In the end I decided I couldn't stomach the £800 plus cost and went for the DIY option.

I bought a Garmin BC30 system and compatible Sat Nav. This is a wireless system so avoids the need to run a cable through to the dash. However, there are some very mixed reviews about this camera. Some people think the image is unnacceptably bad, whilst others think it is good enough. Well, being prepared for the worst, I can verify that the picture is indeed quite poor, but just about acceptable. It is certainly good enough to see what you might collide with.

The installation was a pain. How to remove the trim was a puzzle at first, but I got there in the end. There are a multitude of plastic fittings with very small allen key heads. None would unscrew using an allen key - none whatsover. This caused some head scratching. I got them out by forcing a T20 torx into the allen key recess. However, I couldn't remove any of the four metal plates that are mounted over the hardboard panel. Each plate had a screw that couldn't be extracted. They screw into rivet nuts, and the nuts were just spinning.

01.jpg

More head scratching. I needed to remove the number plate lighting trim, held in by four plastic nuts. I decided to just cut four crude holes using a dremel.

02.jpg

This gave access to the nuts, shown removed in the picture below.

03.jpg
Now I removed the trim and set to work mounting the camera. It comes with a bracket and two screws, but I wanted the more elegant solution of poking it through a hole in the trim.

Dremel to the rescue, a carefully sculpted hole and the use of a 5gm sachet of Sugru to hold it in place, I had a nicely mounted camera.

06.jpg

04.jpg

I wired it up to the number plate lights. This was very easy to do (most people use the reversing lights) and lets me power up the camera without going into reverse.

05.jpg

The view from the dash. I'm using a Garmin Nuvi 2799 which gives a nice big image, but the smaller 2599 and 2699 will also work. I replaced the top tray with the version containing a 12v socket, but the Garmin power adapter is quite large (it has to be used because it contains the wireless receiver) so in the end I plumbed it in below the tray. The 2799 is nice because the holder is powered, so it is easy to remove and place out of sight.

07.jpg
As you can see, the image is not great. To be fair though, the VW OEM system is not night and day better.

08.jpg
I hope these notes are helpful. I back into my drive, and another family car parks in front of me, so I need to get as far back as I can but still be able to open the hatch. The guidance lines in the image can be adjusted to suit.

Good work :thumb The picture looks perfectly usable to me.
The plastic fittings rarely come out with an allen key. Tip I was given is to screw a self tapping screw into the plastic a few turns. Can then pull them out with pliers. Not getting the hardboard panel off due to spinning rivets is another common issue (no easy solution that I know of).
When you removed the trim round the window how nervous were you with the force needed :eek:. Thought I was going to break it.

The trim round the window all fell out! I was left with one plastic fitting, and when I removed that everything clattered to the ground. Took me by surprise!

I just hope that I can put it all back together - I haven't done that bit yet!

Mine had a vice like grip and I had to prise it off.
Putting it all back the hardest thing I found was aligning the top of the chair store onto the metal 'prong' and getting the two Torx screws in (ones that are hidden by the grey plastic plugs).

Had a thought, while the trim is off have a look at the 3rd brake light. It's easy to remove at this point. See if any of the clips that hold the red cover to the base are broken? A few of mine were and I ended up epoxying the sections together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Putting it all back the hardest thing I found was aligning the top of the chair store onto the metal 'prong' and getting the two Torx screws in (ones that are hidden by the grey plastic plugs).

When I was removing the trim, I couldn't get the chair store "bag" with the zip out on its own - couldn't get the support bar out of the "prongs".

But when the large grey window surround fell out onto the ground, the chair bag fell out too. I never got a chance to see how they fitted together.

Mine had a vice like grip and I had to prise it off.

Didn't have a problem with the two torx screws, but you're right - reassembling the chair store was difficult. That was the last item to go back - was it the same for you?

I have to take it all apart again because the camera is not responding!

Didn't have a problem with the two torx screws, but you're right - reassembling the chair store was difficult. That was the last item to go back - was it the same for you?

I have to take it all apart again because the camera is not responding!
Oh Dear.

Least it should be easier to get at the 2nd time. Frustrating though.
Very last thing was the window trim seem to recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back