Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Discussion regarding T6 ONLY roof corrosion

I'd be very wary of asking them to remove the tape. I taped my 2016 roof myself and then had to remove the tape so VW could inspect it and, despite being ultra careful and using a heat gun, it took large sections of paint off with it. I'd just have the tape fitted where it's missing and enjoy your Cali.

Thanks for the comments folks. I take the point about removing tape causing damage, but I t can’t be normal for condensation to gather under the tape?

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

I'd be very wary of asking them to remove the tape. I taped my 2016 roof myself and then had to remove the tape so VW could inspect it and, despite being ultra careful and using a heat gun, it took large sections of paint off with it. I'd just have the tape fitted where it's missing and enjoy your Cali.

I think a chat with the service manager mentioning your concerns, during that chat you could slip in some of the earlier tips and suggestions made by previous posts.
When the job is done you may be pleasantly surprised, I definitely support as others have said, ‘go out and enjoy’.

I am sure it will be fine, if many years down the line it rears it’s ugly head again then you have the private route you mentioned earlier. But that may be never..........

Enjoy.

This morning I had a look at the T6 discussion thread and looked at the problems with corrosion on the roof. I decided to have a look at my recently purchased 2017 T6 Cali Ocean 204 4motion. Sadly on stripping off the rubber surround and cleaning off the green mould I found corrosion under the tape only on the rear of the passenger side of the roof!

Cal1 - 1.jpg

Cal2 - 1.jpg

Cal3 - 1.jpg

This morning I had a look at the T6 discussion thread and looked at the problems with corrosion on the roof. I decided to have a look at my recently purchased 2017 T6 Cali Ocean 204 4motion. Sadly on stripping off the rubber surround and cleaning off the green mould I found corrosion under the tape only on the rear of the passenger side of the roof!

View attachment 49714

View attachment 49715

View attachment 49716
This is a big disappointment. I, like many others, hoped this will be a lasting solution. I had mine taped only a couple of weeks ago. Very sad.

This is a big disappointment. I, like many others, hoped this will be a lasting solution. I had mine taped only a couple of weeks ago. Very sad.
Are you sure that has tape on it?
I've zoomed in on your photo but it's not clear I can see the tape edge, just a green moss line.?

Are you sure that has tape on it?
I've zoomed in on your photo but it's not clear I can see the tape edge, just a green moss line.?
Hi Loz, there is a clear tape around the roof rim and the 'bubbling' is underneath it. The green slime has been washed off and the line is just where the tape is left slightly discoloured by it.

Tape 1 - 1.jpg

Ah yes, I can see it now, I wonder if they just taped over that bubbling, rather than the tape method not working?

Ah yes, I can see it now, I wonder if they just taped over that bubbling, rather than the tape method not working?
I've contacted VW Birmingham and apparently there has only been one recall on this vehicle and it was nothing to do with the Cali roof. I can only assume the 'bubbling' has happened despite the taping.

I've contacted VW Birmingham and apparently there has only been one recall on this vehicle and it was nothing to do with the Cali roof. I can only assume the 'bubbling' has happened despite the taping.
The “check” that VW carry out is not a recall as such but a check that they carry out when you go in for a service, mine had no tape and bubbling, so awaiting VW to schedule a date to fix and tape.

I still think filling the air gap in the seal to exclude water ingress will further reduce, if not eliminate, the incidence of corrosion.

Sadly VW and the dealers don’t give a Rats rear end if your roof has corrosion or not.

I had mine checked 3 years ago, they identified the corrosion took pictures and submitted a report
I got passed around from dealer to dealer, we don’t have a body shop, we have stopped doing the repair passed on to another dealer then nothing.
I was thinking, forget about it the roof will last longer that me, its under the seal who will see it. Just enjoy the van.
I go for an MOT they tell me about the recall and will look under the seal and apply the tape if there is no corrosion. If there is corrosion they will make a report to VW.

I say ok go ahead. 3hrs later I go back for my van. Good news it passed its MOT and even better you are lucky you have no corrosion, we have applied the tape.

At this point I tell them about the original report and insist on showing them the corrosion, I go in to the work shop and show them the areas, they say its just bubbles of air under the tape.

Long story short I made them take the tape off and they took pictures and made a report. I wont hold my berth for the repair.

The guy at the desk blamed the mechanic stating he was just the desk jockey, he had not even checked the history to see if it had been checked already.

Don’t trust the dealers, if you have the tape applied from new or applied as a recall take the seal off and check for yourself or get someone you trust to do it.

I think a chat with the service manager mentioning your concerns, during that chat you could slip in some of the earlier tips and suggestions made by previous posts.
When the job is done you may be pleasantly surprised, I definitely support as others have said, ‘go out and enjoy’.

I am sure it will be fine, if many years down the line it rears it’s ugly head again then you have the private route you mentioned earlier. But that may be never..........

Enjoy.

Just to update on the outcome of my story. The dealer (who also collected and dropped the vehicle at my home) fitted tape around the edge of the roof. I did not have to wait between inspection and fitting of tape, and they seem to have removed the old partial taping without affecting the paintwork.

The only thing is that tape was not applied to the front edge of the roof. Is this not called for?

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

This thread is quite long, so sorry if it has been mentioned already but I could not find an answer.
The elevating roof of my T6 built in June 2016 is made of aluminum. As far as I know I shouldn’t be concerned about corrosion. Aren’t all T6 roofs made of aluminum?

This thread is quite long, so sorry if it has been mentioned already but I could not find an answer.
The elevating roof of my T6 built in June 2016 is made of aluminum. As far as I know I shouldn’t be concerned about corrosion. Aren’t all T6 roofs made of aluminum?
Yes it happens..Aluminium does corrode and California roofs are Aluminium...Ask the many hundreds on here that its happened to...Me being one of them....

Yes, the roof is made of aluminum. The chemical interaction between the aluminum roof and the steel in the reenforced rubber seal and the steel van body causes corrosion. Do yourself (and other long suffering forum members) a favor and read the thread from the beginning.

When aluminium corrodes it makes the paint blister - which is a pain and if under warranty can be rectified. The most likely reason it corrodes is that the rubber seal around the edge has a steel insert which sets up a galvanic corrosion. The "good" news is that it is cosmetic and I've never seen anyone claiming it affects the structural integrity of the vehicle. The bad news is that it is a design fault and over the lifetime of the vehicle VW haven't come up with a satisfactory solution. When I first heard about it it nearly put me off buying a California. I did though and don't regret it. You'll find loads of useful information and advice on this forum.

Thanks for the replies. There are no bubbles under the rubber of my roof. However the rubber on the lower part of the sliding door is rusty. I took it to the dealer and they said that the warranty applies to the body, not to the rubber seals

Thanks for the replies. There are no bubbles under the rubber of my roof. However the rubber on the lower part of the sliding door is rusty. I took it to the dealer and they said that the warranty applies to the body, not to the rubber seals
Looks like you need to change dealers.

I guess it really depends how you feel about this. It is cosmetic, and not a structural issue. However I get that you would expect for the premium price, that this should not happen and why people are aggrieved. I am on my second T6, we just keep ours for three years and trade in mainly driven by residuals and good trade in valuations. No issue with warranty that way. I never had a noticeable issue in 3 years, but I never really looked that hard. The only issue I had with my last van was dodgy split temperature climate control woth one side blowing hot and one side cold, squeeky seats in the tail gate. Not the case so far in the new van. Also I am fairly relaxed about minor defects, life is too short to stress about this stuff. But I do understand others do and should expect better.

The Sliding Door seal also has a steel insert to clip it on. The T6 seal seems to be less durable than the T5 seal and once it is damaged then the steel insert starts rusting. Some Dealerships replace under warranty and some won’t I’m afraid.

The Sliding Door seal also has a steel insert to clip it on. The T6 seal seems to be less durable than the T5 seal and once it is damaged then the steel insert starts rusting. Some Dealerships replace under warranty and some won’t I’m afraid.

Our March 2017 Cali is currently at SMG having the sliding door seal replaced under three year warranty due to rusty steel insert. Apparently it will not be covered under the VW Extended Warranty!! Just had a phone call to say they are having trouble removing it. I wonder what that means?

Back