Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Diesel heater anomoly?

J

Juicy

California 2005 LHD - diesel heater running constantly? When the engine is running the diesel heater module starts to run. This is without any input from the control panel. If you press the heater function on the control panel normal start sequence initiates the heater fan process.
Why is this happening?

California 2005 LHD - diesel heater running constantly? When the engine is running the diesel heater module starts to run. This is without any input from the control panel. If you press the heater function on the control panel normal start sequence initiates the heater fan process.
Why is this happening?
Sorry, but I'm not sure what you actually mean?

How do you know the Diesel Parking Heater is running with the engine ON?

Does the Parking Heater start normally with the Ignition OFF?

Why is this happening?
A few clarifications before i can answer:
1. Very simply put, the diesel heater has two key components - the diesel combustion chamber and the fan. When you say the diesel heater module starts - what does that mean? What do you hear which makes you think that the diesel heater is running (i.e. combustion is taking place) without the fan running?

2. What does the control panel show at this stage after you've started the van (i.e.: engine running)?

3. When you press the heater function on the control panel, you mention a normal start sequence - is that just the fan only? What makes you think that it is only the fan that is starting up at that time?

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you actually mean?

How do you know the Diesel Parking Heater is running with the engine ON?

Does the Parking Heater start normally with the Ignition OFF?
With the engine running the diesel heater module starts burning as you can see smoke coming from the heater exhaust. Once the engine is turned off the heater module continues to run for about a minute then shuts down.
The control unit does not indicate that the heater is on during this time.
If you then activate the heater the fan and heater module starts and stops as normal.
I hope that explains the issue.

A few clarifications before i can answer:
1. Very simply put, the diesel heater has two key components - the diesel combustion chamber and the fan. When you say the diesel heater module starts - what does that mean? What do you hear which makes you think that the diesel heater is running (i.e. combustion is taking place) without the fan running?

2. What does the control panel show at this stage after you've started the van (i.e.: engine running)?

3. When you press the heater function on the control panel, you mention a normal start sequence - is that just the fan only? What makes you think that it is only the fan that is starting up at that time?

With the engine running the diesel heater module starts burning as you can see smoke coming from the heater exhaust. Once the engine is turned off the heater module continues to run for about a minute then shuts down.
If you then activate the heater the fan and heater module starts and stops as normal.
You are aware that many California models have 2 Diesel Heaters.
There is the Diesel Parking Heater controlled via the Control Panel.
There is a second Webasto heater that is automatic. It will fire up when the engine is started and the outside temperature is 5c or less. It warms the engine and engine coolant to get the engine to normal temperature quickly.

It sounds as if this is the heater you are hearing. When engine is switched off this heater takes about 5 minutes to switch off.

This is Normal.

What california do you have? - nothing showing in your profile.

UK Oceans have two heaters, one is the user controlled overnight air heater . The second is an automatic coolant heater that comes on if the engine is started at less than 5 degrees.
I suspect its the second heater producing the smoke.

What california do you have? - nothing showing in your profile.

UK Oceans have two heaters, one is the user controlled overnight air heater . The second is an automatic coolant heater that comes on if the engine is started at less than 5 degrees.
I suspect its the second heater producing the smoke.
Original post says 2005 LHD.

As others have said, with the low temperatures, it could be the coolant heater coming on. It will produce some vapours etc, which you may be able to see under the van and that is not necessarily coming from the diesel heater exhaust (unless, you've kept your hand in front of the exhaust and felt it exhaling gases with a certain amount of force).

The diesel heater and the fan are one unit and work together. When the diesel heater starts up, it starts up the fan as well - they work together as a single system.

In all probability, it is the coolant heater.

I heard my coolant heater the other day after a short trip, ten
minute drive, engine off, got out, locked the doors and the coolant
heater carried on running.
I thought, ah, thats nice.
Its normal.

Any more Information? Was it the Coolant/Engine Heater?