Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Detailing Thread

T6 CFO

T6 CFO

Mike
Top Poster
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
New Car detail, his work is excellent, was about to have my Touareg in for 3 days but it sold quicker than I expected so had to cancel but tipped him off I was going to bring the Cali in as soon as I get it.

Bit off topic so happy to continue this in Detailing..

I shall probably give him a bell as per Teejay post and get his advice re prep by dealer. I read that somewhere else as well that they prefer the dealers not to touch them if it's a new car prep.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes true as they can often let the carwashing guys at them, I watch the state the showroom cars get into with their one bucket sponge and chamois swirl method.
Not many car dealers use an outside valet to do the pdi prep let alone a commercial dealer.

Maybe we can both in at the same time if it works out build wise?

Sounds like a plan. I will speak to Adam when I get more of an idea on delivery date and we will stay in touch by PM.

Mike

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
I'm the type that gets their car washed yearly normally at the service. :eek:
So if I could get something done and only have to rinse it, I'd rather have the free time ;)

A few friends of mine are into detailing and the easily can lose whole weekends and hundreds of pouinds.

We are getting "plain" white so getting it detailed may be overkill but I'll decide nearer the time.

The blackberry will look rather good, what colour you gone for Mike ?

T

I'm the type that gets their car washed yearly normally at the service. :eek:
So if I could get something done and only have to rinse it, I'd rather have the free time ;)

A few friends of mine are into detailing and the easily can lose whole weekends and hundreds of pouinds.

We are getting "plain" white so getting it detailed may be overkill but I'll decide nearer the time.

The blackberry will look rather good, what colour you gone for Mike ?

T

Yep it's a hard shout. I haven't got a problem doing it myself other than not the most convenient as I live in a city flat with parking but no drive. Found a place where I can do it nearby that has a lance etc but not ideal.
Quite attractive idea to have it prepped right from the start so tempted as it should then just be a good wash now and again.

I was tempted by the white but SWMBO liked the grey which was my 2nd choice.

So grey it is with some flashy yellow bits inside. Well will be one day

Mike

Makes me wonder if it could help with the roof problem people are having?
One wonders why VW would not have considered it if it might. Well perhaps not!

Mike

I would also look at a paint protector / stone chip protector application for the front. (Like the 3M film)

Picked up a stone chip on my front wing within a couple of thousand miles and now one on the bonnet. The PHEV is even worse.

Now that I have the California, I'm wondering is it worth getting a Candy White camper detailed? I like the idea of getting a seal on it so it "cleans" it's self in the rain. I cannot be bothered to wash and wax it regularly, rather be out in it, but don't mind taking to a hose down. Last car got 1 wash/year whether it needed it or not ;)

All I can say is that I did a fair bit of research and came down on getting mine done from new.
When I spoke to a number of Detailer's they all stressed that they always advise customers to stop the dealer doing any prep on the vehicle as it will only make there job harder. Having said that all it will mean is a bit more prep time from them so no harm done just a bit more labour.

@Loz has had his done from new and will no doubt tell you how he's getting on.

Due to the logistics I ended up making arrangements for mine to be done at a place in WSM. I was well impressed with him.

When I asked if he'd ever done a Cali he says only two. Both in the same street and both White. One guy had it done and the other was so impressed he just asked for the same to be done to his.

For obvious reasons I did not get the one I have done but the replacement will be.

Mike