DETAILED look at carpets - Brandrup and QTM

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
I'm not sure what the appetite is for the following level of detail, but I often find that whilst a topic has been discussed 20 times, there is often a frustrating level of detail.

So having pondered my carpet choices for too long, I thought I'd show you the results here:

The QTM living area carpet was £64.99 less 10% VIP discount
The QTM door set of 3 steps were £14.99 less 10% VIP discount
Combined postage was £2.99
These were both the mid-grey Duluxe grade, 900g, trimmed in grey edging.

The Brandrup boot carpet was £44.99 inc delivery. New, but a discontinued colour, off ebay.

The choices I discarded were:
The Brandrup cab area mat is £176.99 less 5% plus postage
The club's own full set of carpets (inc the cab area which I didn't want) are £149.99 less 5% vip plus postage
The club's own 'step' set are £22.99 (with California embroidery, but only available in black)
Brandrup boot in current colour is £60.99 less 5% VIP plus postage

I had QTM mats in my last SE and I thought they where awful, badly cut, finished and curled up under seats.
Won't both this time when I get my Ocean

My guess, is that looking again at the club carpets (with my new knowledge), they appear to have a similar 'pile' to the QTM but the edging LOOKS more like the Brandrup.

I guess what I'd like is for the club's listings to be more detailed and descriptive as to their benefits vs the competition.

The Brandrup mat for the booth is a reverseble mat you can use carpet up or rubber up ....
Brandrup are very high priced items but , as you now experienced yourself those items are always a perfect fit and high quality finisch .
Got about 1000€ of Brandrup stuff in my Cali i think....

I'm about to order a full set of carpets. However the new club carpets only seem to be available in black and most of you who went with QTM previous had Mid Gray.

So how close are the new club carpets to mid gray QTM

And can you get the boot side liners from QTM or the club?

Lastly does the club carpet come supplied with the older style oval clips

I cannot find QTM Carpets in the Club Shop? (You mentioned VIP discount)

I cannot find QTM Carpets in the Club Shop? (You mentioned VIP discount)
From memory, I did this direct with QTM... Drop them a line and ask if they still do the discount for the forum (or thinking again, I may have found a code in the vip downloads section).

I buy the cheapest cab carpet and step carpets possible and replace it annually. I normally buy it at a VW show so no postage costs. That way I'm not too precious about it when I'm picking the kids up after football and rugby, although I do have rubber over mats too.

Brandrup are expensive, but my point of view from what I have seen fitted to the few California’s I have viewed with Brandrup carpets fitted ,they fit well , look good & look like they should last
I realise this comes at a price & all dependant on your California’s use

Just to make the choices more complicated
I went with carpets from California-camping.de (with 10% club discount) after seeing some poor reviews of QTM and I cant remember why I discounted Brandrup.
3 1/2 years later they are still going strong, except for losing a couple of screws which hold the metal plate in place but I found replacements.

1568804237507.png

Just to make the choices more complicated
I went with carpets from California-camping.de (with 10% club discount) after seeing some poor reviews of QTM and I cant remember why I discounted Brandrup.
3 1/2 years later they are still going strong, except for losing a couple of screws which hold the metal plate in place but I found replacements.

View attachment 50505
What do you think of the camping de mats in arms of softness underfoot and ease for keeping clean? Also, did you have any issues with opening the bottom cupboard over the mat/rails (and is it a 2 or 3 rail mat?).

I'm in such a quandary what to get as want the side step mats to match but want things to last and be good quality - and soft and warm and cosy!!

I'm not sure what the appetite is for the following level of detail, but I often find that whilst a topic has been discussed 20 times, there is often a frustrating level of detail.

I'm like you, love (or need) to investigate every little detail before I make a choice. So I really appreciate this post/video. Especially since I am looking to buy mats soon. So thanks

What do you think of the camping de mats in arms of softness underfoot and ease for keeping clean? Also, did you have any issues with opening the bottom cupboard over the mat/rails (and is it a 2 or 3 rail mat?).

I'm in such a quandary what to get as want the side step mats to match but want things to last and be good quality - and soft and warm and cosy!!

These accessories arent cheap and are difficult to find in shops to view which is why I also sometimes agonize over which option to go for.

Hmmm, softness underfoot was fine when new, 4 years later the pile is probably a little flattened but still absolutely fine for us. If softness is really important for you I am sure there is a deep pile version from either QTM or Brandrup which might be best for you and the club shop have a deep pile carpet aswell

No issues at all opening the bottom cupboard, I am sure ours is the two rail version.

We find that the carpet needs regular sweeping when camping but I dont think any other carpet or flooring would be different, I recently steam cleaned these and they came up lovely.

I bought step mats from the club shop (the ones which the word "california" stiched in white) and these are a great color match with my main carpet.

These accessories arent cheap and are difficult to find in shops to view which is why I also sometimes agonize over which option to go for.

Hmmm, softness underfoot was fine when new, 4 years later the pile is probably a little flattened but still absolutely fine for us. If softness is really important for you I am sure there is a deep pile version from either QTM or Brandrup which might be best for you and the club shop have a deep pile carpet aswell

No issues at all opening the bottom cupboard, I am sure ours is the two rail version.

We find that the carpet needs regular sweeping when camping but I dont think any other carpet or flooring would be different, I recently steam cleaned these and they came up lovely.

I bought step mats from the club shop (the ones which the word "california" stiched in white) and these are a great color match with my main carpet.

I contacted QTM and they said as I have 3 rails, to put a 2 rail mat on top will leave a raised area, and unless you take the roller off the drawer - it probably wouldn't open over the carpet. So I have discounted them!

I don't want the california logo on the step mats (or on the cabin mats) - as figured the white embroidery would end up getting dirty and dulling. Has yours? So may end up with QTM for these, though differing reports say they curl up and don't fix as well. Are your cabin mats grey as in the picture or black?

Want the cabin mats to match the side steps in colour, so im guessing black as figure the mid grey from QTM will show up mud easy, but that limits me to california.camping.de but they are thinner than others. Cali shop has the logo on the mats and they don't do the deep pile for the 2 seater cali ocean. UGH!

lol agonise is right lol

I contacted QTM and they said as I have 3 rails, to put a 2 rail mat on top will leave a raised area, and unless you take the roller off the drawer - it probably wouldn't open over the carpet. So I have discounted them!

I don't want the california logo on the step mats (or on the cabin mats) - as figured the white embroidery would end up getting dirty and dulling. Has yours? So may end up with QTM for these, though differing reports say they curl up and don't fix as well. Are your cabin mats grey as in the picture or black?

Want the cabin mats to match the side steps in colour, so im guessing black as figure the mid grey from QTM will show up mud easy, but that limits me to california.camping.de but they are thinner than others. Cali shop has the logo on the mats and they don't do the deep pile for the 2 seater cali ocean. UGH!

lol agonise is right lol
yeah, the white California logo does discolour but I only notice it now and again and it does cleanup easily.

Yes my mats are a charcoal grey. Good luck

yeah, the white California logo does discolour but I only notice it now and again and it does cleanup easily.

Yes my mats are a charcoal grey. Good luck
Thanks! Will dither and decide this weekend - enough's enough lol

So having pondered my carpet choices for too long, I thought I'd show you the results here:

The QTM living area carpet was £64.99 less 10% VIP discount
The QTM door set of 3 steps were £14.99 less 10% VIP discount
Combined postage was £2.99
These were both the mid-grey Duluxe grade, 900g, trimmed in grey edging.

The Brandrup boot carpet was £44.99 inc delivery. New, but a discontinued colour, off ebay.

The choices I discarded were:
The Brandrup cab area mat is £176.99 less 5% plus postage
The club's own full set of carpets (inc the cab area which I didn't want) are £149.99 less 5% vip plus postage
The club's own 'step' set are £22.99 (with California embroidery, but only available in black)
Brandrup boot in current colour is £60.99 less 5% VIP plus postage
This was a great video for comparison. Thank you.

Can I ask, how did the QTM mats hold up over time and have you had to replace them?

They don't seem to have your 900g deluxe in mid grey on the website now, so not sure I can get exactly the same, and seems the closest is the velour at 750g.

I loved the Brandrup ones and at a push could find a way to justify the cost but would really prefer the step mats and carpets to match, just like yours. I know that seems fussy, but in such a small space there are only so many different colours/shades of grey I want to add, and the different bindings on the steps would annoy me like hell!

Back