Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Detached red waste water lever

T

Tomcali

VIP Member
Attempted to empty waste water from tank. The lever seemed difficult to rotate so gave it a little too much energy and it came off in my hand. Any advice welcome.FB14D733-891C-41CB-9002-6D102D73CAC4.jpegB861D88B-8987-4DFE-AD98-7668D8A5F94B.jpeg

DBBE12F7-A356-4D0A-85C9-2BDC3201DF53.jpeg

Hi Welshgas - thank you for getting back. Our Cali is a 2011-180dsg-SE

Looks like the shaft has sheared? If so I think the whole tap will need replacing…. Can’t recall how easy access is.

Thanks ArunAlec, the lever looks like it attaches to a valve in the waste line located at the bottom of the left hand kitchen cupboard.
Do you think the valve assembly needs replacing?
Any ideas how to deal with existing waste water on removal of damaged valve, to prevent a flood inside the van?

Can you operate the valve with some pliers? Or a screwdriver?

It would appear that there isn’t anything to gain purchase on.

4AABBF7F-30DC-4369-BA2E-09597DDF0166.jpeg

Drill a small pilot hole in the centre. Screw in a self tapper screw until it tightens. Keep turning and it will open the valve

That’s really useful Welshgas - thank you.
When I select year of vehicle (2011) it says the part is $33 and is for installation on a 2018 / 2019 vehicle.
As you say it states 0.45p on the list.
Confused .com

That’s really useful Welshgas - thank you.
When I select year of vehicle (2011) it says the part is $33 and is for installation on a 2018 / 2019 vehicle.
As you say it states 0.45p on the list.
Confused .com
Well it does say 'from 45p'.
Not sure what the retail price is for the part but if its more that 25 quid this would be an option

Thanks Corrodobit, think this image is of the freshwater valve in the cupboard accessed from the tailgate.I have an issue with the waste water valve. Thanks all the same for advice. T

Thanks Corrodobit, think this image is of the freshwater valve in the cupboard accessed from the tailgate.I have an issue with the waste water valve. Thanks all the same for advice. T
Same part number as per WG's exploded parts diagram.

The Part number remains the same until MY 2018, when VW added an A to the same number.

I would ask a plumber how to loosen a really jammed valve like this without the risk of spilling the content of your tank in your van. Grey water can be smelly, even half a liter under your floor will be no fun to remove.

I would ask a plumber how to loosen a really jammed valve like this without the risk of spilling the content of your tank in your van. Grey water can be smelly, even half a liter under your floor will be no fun to remove.
Probably worth taking off the pipe from the sink and siphoning out the water.

Thanks Deskman.
Update
I took the advice to drill the valve body and use a left hand thread extractor to rotate the valve to the open position with pliers, sufficiently to drain the waste water.
I am up to the point where I attempt to remove the damaged valve. I have struggled with placing an order on the LL car part website provided by Welshgas when I convert currency to GBP but will give it another go. Thanks for support.

Thanks Deskman.
Update
I took the advice to drill the valve body and use a left hand thread extractor to rotate the valve to the open position with pliers, sufficiently to drain the waste water.
I am up to the point where I attempt to remove the damaged valve. I have struggled with placing an order on the LL car part website provided by Welshgas when I convert currency to GBP but will give it another go. Thanks for support.
You could use the Part number on ebay/Google to find other suppliers.

You could use the Part number on ebay/Google to find other suppliers
Or maybe check with your local plumber's merchant?

P1300363.JPG
Looks identical to me and after all, it is only a standard tap.

This valve strongly resembles a standard plumbing valve. In my opinion it is not a specific VW part. For under €6 you can find one in stainless steel. Search "ball valve DN15".
fdfa884c52acd307014c536d80485223.jpg

Or maybe check with your local plumber's merchant?

View attachment 104688
Looks identical to me and after all, it is only a standard tap.
Hi Welshgas, I followed advice and found one on ebay with genuine VW parts for £24.99 free postage. Should be with me in a couple of days. The unions appear to be a fixed part of the valve body ie: do not freely rotate independent of the valve. Looks like I remove the damaged item by taking the jubilee clips off first - not sure about the hexagonal plastic covers / nuts / union thingie magigs or attachment to the fixed valve mounting bracket.

Hi Welshgas, I followed advice and found one on ebay with genuine VW parts for £24.99 free postage. Should be with me in a couple of days. The unions appear to be a fixed part of the valve body ie: do not freely rotate independent of the valve. Looks like I remove the damaged item by taking the jubilee clips off first - not sure about the hexagonal plastic covers / nuts / union thingie magigs or attachment to the fixed valve mounting bracket.
It looks like the 2 white plastic nuts are in fact the pipe connectors to the broken valve Parts 7 & 8 in the diagram and in between them and the valve you can just see the ends of the Holder Part 9.

It looks like you undo jubilee clips and ease off the pipes then unscrew each plastic connector from the valve. Then valve can be pulled out of the U shaped holder Part 9.

A little teflon tape on the threads will provide a bit more security.

Back