Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Demand for campervans is going up

I would say there are more scamming bastards on Ebay, Facebook, Gumtree etc due to lockdown rather than an increase in demand for campervans. I have seen a lot of these ads over the past few years, buyer beware as there doesn't seem to be much help for the unfortunate victims. The scamsters just post another ad under another name when sussed out.

Last edited:
I think California demand may increase.

I wonder if some will feel more comfortable holidaying in the UK or driving to a hotter climate for the next 18months or so.

As a family of 5, I’d much rather spend a day driving to the South of France or Northern Spain than fly at the moment.

Anybody feel the same?

As a family of 5, I’d much rather spend a day driving to the South of France or Northern Spain than fly at the moment.
I would be happy using a plane when things have calmed down a bit. I'd like to think there will be extra cleaning measures in place but I presume personal ppe would be the way forward, mask, gloves etc?? to minimise cross infection.

I would be happy using a plane when things have calmed down a bit. I'd like to think there will be extra cleaning measures in place but I presume personal ppe would be the way forward, mask, gloves etc?? to minimise cross infection.

I think there is a chance that air travel will not be the same for a very long time. As the skies reopen, no country will be wanting to import or reimport the virus. Entire plane loads of arrivals from counties with high levels of infection may be decanted to hotels for quarantine until tested, adding significant cost to the price of a ticket.

Environmentalists would love it.

Perhaps on Eurostar and some international flights you could have a swab taken before boarding, the result sent by text before arrival at the destination.

Whilst we had a Hymer in 2011 my young son spotted another very rare lovely 2007 Hymer C644G on eBay that was a bargain at 20k starting bid. The English in the listing was appalling and the seller ob knew nothing about it and there was an overall aggressive tone to his auction end instructions. Nevertheless I sniped it at 22k (it was worth 28k) and won it: I was the only bidder.

I hpi checked it and travelled up to Stoke to view it within the stated 2 days. The seller told me he’d bought it for a trip to Morocco with his 10yr old son but the mileage since the last mot didn’t support that. Nevertheless my gut instinct told me it was ok (eg V5 was correct for when he lived) so we went to the bank and i got the cash. His wife had made a nice curry when we got back.

when I got home, I could see where some vinyl letters had been on the front with the name of a bike team in Northern Ireland, so I phoned them and they’d recently sold it to the chap I saw, who’d told them a different pack of lies.

Very odd experience but I was lucky to benefit because a genuine seller had listed it so badly that it looked like a scam when it wasn’t. The motto is to Hpi it and don’t part with cash until you’ve seen it and the v5 ties up with their ID and address.B0132BE3-EF9D-44A4-B28F-B190639AE31E.jpeg

Once saw a very attractively priced Range Rover on E-bay. Allegedly owned by a person who lived in Aberdeen and worked on oil rigs. The purchase money would be held in an escrow account until the vehicle was delivered and I was happy with it.(Oh yes!) I told him that, as I had a motor home and nothing else to do, I could visit him to inspect it. End of communications. Reported to Ebay, the scammer was using the account of some woman in Derby.

It's not 'just' sitting close to someone on a plane that would stop me flying.... It's the recirculating air in such a confined space. I'm choosing the most voluminous supermarkets for the same reason.

It's not 'just' sitting close to someone on a plane that would stop me flying.... It's the recirculating air in such a confined space. I'm choosing the most voluminous supermarkets for the same reason.
I think the recirculated air is ok due to air changes every couple of minutes and high filtration, more likely to be the persons in the immediate vicinty. As long as you book the rows in front and behind you as well you will be fine. :)

Most people I know are hoarding any cash saved on overseas holidays, fuel etc to get them through the pending economic disaster. They are not thinking of tying up savings / getting into debt to buy an expensive and depreciating asset with an uncertain future.
But maybe I'm just too pesemistic.

What I find very interesting is that the Crew and Passengers did not complain before the flight took to the air, only after and then by posting photos on Social Media and that was just 1 person. So the rest were obviously not concerned.
I’m not sure that is a valid conclusion. Most people with a grievance never utter a word of complaint.

Companies try to understand grievances by offering feedback forms.

I’m not sure that is a valid conclusion. Most people with a grievance never utter a word of complaint.

Companies try to understand grievances by offering feedback forms.
Well 1 person took some photos and posted on Social Media, the other 150 or so + Crew did not. It would also seem the crew didn’t even complain to their Union representatives.
So what, alternative, conclusion would you draw?

Well 1 person took some photos and posted on Social Media, the other 150 or so + Crew did not. It would also seem the crew didn’t even complain to their Union representatives.
So what, alternative, conclusion would you draw?
I’m not sure I’d draw any particular conclusion. I’d certainly not conclude that people were not concerned because they didn’t complain. As I said, feedback forms would be useful to get a clearer picture.

What I find very interesting is that the Crew and Passengers did not complain before the flight took to the air, only after and then by posting photos on Social Media and that was just 1 person. So the rest were obviously not concerned.

Does it matter whether any individual passengers or crew complained, or not? Surely the issue is whether it's acceptable from a public health standpoint to allow groups of people to travel in that way while the country is still trying to maintain a social distancing strategy to keep transmission under control.

My view FWIW is that it's not acceptable, no way. When I saw those pictures in the press this morning I have to admit I was pretty shocked. Obviously the airlines are in real trouble commercially, and thousands of their employees' jobs are at risk which I can only sympathise with, but that can't surely be allowed to trump public safety.

So is the demand for campers going up??
I’d like to think so ,it seems a better alternative.
I definitely don’t fancy a plane holiday anytime in the near future?

that’s just my opinion obviously

Does it matter whether any individual passengers or crew complained, or not? Surely the issue is whether it's acceptable from a public health standpoint to allow groups of people to travel in that way while the country is still trying to maintain a social distancing strategy to keep transmission under control.

My view FWIW is that it's not acceptable, no way. When I saw those pictures in the press this morning I have to admit I was pretty shocked. Obviously the airlines are in real trouble commercially, and thousands of their employees' jobs are at risk which I can only sympathise with, but that can't surely be allowed to trump public safety.
My point is 150+ people -1 weren’t bothered. I agree with your point but obviously they didn’t. Why?

My point is 150+ people -1 weren’t bothered. I agree with your point but obviously they didn’t. Why?

I guess probably for this reason. We're all inclined to adjust our attitudes and beliefs to conform to our behaviour, rather than the other way round. If I'd been one of the people in the queue at the gate for that plane, really wanting to get home or wherever I was planning to go, I might well have been inclined to say sod it, I'm here now anyway and I do really want to fly today. Once committed to that course of action I may then be unlikely to complain or report it, as I was complicit by not walking back to the terminal. I had 'bought into' the group behaviour.

That's why we don't usually allow people who are personally conflicted to take part in decisions about public welfare.

I guess probably for this reason. We're all inclined to adjust our attitudes and beliefs to conform to our behaviour, rather than the other way round. If I'd been one of the people in the queue at the gate for that plane, really wanting to get home or wherever I was planning to go, I might well have been inclined to say sod it, I'm here now anyway and I do really want to fly today. Once committed to that course of action I may then be unlikely to complain or report it, as I was complicit by not walking back to the terminal. I had 'bought into' the group behaviour.

That's why we don't usually allow people who are personally conflicted to take part in decisions about public welfare.
Think you are right about “group behaviour”. We all like to think we would “do the right thing” but when we are in a group that seems to go out the window!

Think you are right about “group behaviour”. We all like to think we would “do the right thing” but when we are in a group that seems to go out the window!

Festinger's cognitive dissonance theory. When what we do doesn't match our beliefs about that we should do, our minds seek to remove the stressful dissonance. Very often, it does that by changing our beliefs so that they align with our behaviour.

Festinger's cognitive dissonance theory. When what we do doesn't match our beliefs about that we should do, our minds seek to remove the stressful dissonance. Very often, it does that by changing our beliefs so that they align with our behaviour.
I must remember that one.