Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Decision made on wheels - Supermetal Trident 20's

HowieDog

HowieDog

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
Having spent too much time researching and deliberating, decision finally made. Form has prevailed over function, although as a daily driver and without the need to venture up rocky tracks, we hope to be OK...

Went for 20 inch Supermetal Trident 9J x 20 ET 45 in satin black - they are TUV approved and also now available from VWVC for the T30 with a load rating of 930kg. Tyres are Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric2 275 35 20 XL 102Y with a circumference very close to the standard OEM wheels so no speedo issues.

We're getting the VW Eibach coilovers and HD ARBs fitted in Feb so they'll be living in the garage until then :rolleyes:

I'll report back on the ride when its all done - have head good reports on the VW Eibach setup with progressive damping so we'll see of we can live with the 20's!!!

IMG_3215.JPG

In the meantime the 235/55 R17 all seasons will stay on...

“Form has prevailed over function”

No sh**! Who’d have thought.

We can look forward to you telling us how smooth the ride is.

“Form has prevailed over function”

No sh**! Who’d have thought.

We can look forward to you telling us how smooth the ride is.

Hmmm we'll see.....having said that, we had 18's on the last Cali and the lowered VW springs and the ride was far better than our new Cali which is on stock wheels and springs which has plenty of roll and crashes over any imperfections in the road.

Not expecting a magic carpet by any means and will be strongly resisting the confirmation bias based on what we've chosen. As it's our daily drver and we like to drive somthingt that's at least a bit engaging, I'd like to think we end up with something thats pretty planted, has less body roll, but has a reasonably compliant ride.

Quite a change in geometry! ET45 from 51?
Altered scrub radius/bump steer plus 35 profile tyres and revised roll centre with new springs.
WOW!

Having spent too much time researching and deliberating, decision finally made. Form has prevailed over function, although as a daily driver and without the need to venture up rocky tracks, we hope to be OK...

Went for 20 inch Supermetal Trident 9J x 20 ET 45 in satin black - they are TUV approved and also now available from VWVC for the T30 with a load rating of 930kg. Tyres are Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric2 275 35 20 XL 102Y with a circumference very close to the standard OEM wheels so no speedo issues.

We're getting the VW Eibach coilovers and HD ARBs fitted in Feb so they'll be living in the garage until then :rolleyes:

I'll report back on the ride when its all done - have head good reports on the VW Eibach setup with progressive damping so we'll see of we can live with the 20's!!!

View attachment 54292

In the meantime the 235/55 R17 all seasons will stay on...
Very nice wheels, easy to keep clean with the wide slots. Handling and ride will be like a magic carpet with larger A.R.Bs and coil overs.

I sold 2 sets of 17" alloys to people who had bought vans with 20" wheels and didn't like the ride or high cost of tyres which had a relatively short life.

Lower offset figure than original spec. gives greater caster effect causing tyre edge tread to wear on tight turns.

102 rated tyres under load spec for a Cali (minimum 103)?

Good choice of wheel, I have bought 4 sets over the years of the Tridents.
Never had an issue with the finish or cracking ect.
I run a T32 Kombi 204 4 Motion now which runs at 3.1 Ton all of the time on Bilstein B14 AND HR arb. A fantastic ride.

IMG_8006.jpeg

102 rated tyres under load spec for a Cali (minimum 103)?
102 load is 850kgs giving 1700kgs per axle. My T6 front is 1620kgs rated so ok but not much safety margin.

101 is actual minimum at 825kgs that can be used on up to T30 spec chassis.

102 load is 850kgs giving 1700kgs per axle. My T6 front is 1620kgs rated so ok but not much safety margin.

101 is actual minimum at 825kgs that can be used on up to T30 spec chassis.

I'm very comfortable with 102 rated tyres.

My 2014 180 has max axle weights of 1550kg/1575kg. The unladen weight is 2512kg and the payload is 488kg = 3000kg max gross vehicle weight.

The 102 index tyres therefore have total margin of 275kg over max axle weight and 400kg over max vehicle payload. To overload the actual tyres (and indeed significantly exceed max gross vehicle weight) I would need to be carrying 888kg, or about 710 bottles of wine, and that doesn't even factor in the safety margin within an index rating.

Last edited:
I sold 2 sets of 17" alloys to people who had bought vans with 20" wheels and didn't like the ride or high cost of tyres which had a relatively short life.

Lower offset figure than original spec. gives greater caster effect causing tyre edge tread to wear on tight turns.
Fair point, and I guess it depends on whether you prefer out and out comfort over how the van drives. Have several friends with 20's and B14s and have found the ride fine for our preference. At the moment I have 104 all season 17's and the ride is a lot worse than we had on 18s.

I'd question whether to expect any issues re offset, camber etc, given that VW now directly supply these wheels and tyres as an option on T30s.

I'm very comfortable with 102 rated tyres.

My 2014 180 has max axle weights of 1550kg/1575kg. The unladen weight is 2512kg and the payload is 488kg = 3000kg max gross vehicle weight.

The 102 index tyres therefore have total margin of 275kg over max axle weight and 400kg over max vehicle payload. To overload the actual tyres (and indeed significantly exceed max gross vehicle weight) I would need to be carrying 888kg, or about 710 bottles of wine, and that doesn't even factor in the safety margin within an index rating.

You may be comfortable with 102 rated tyres (and I’m sure you’ll be fine) but are your insurer, as they are under the load rating for a Cali?

You may be comfortable with 102 rated tyres (and I’m sure you’ll be fine) but are your insurer, as they are under the load rating for a Cali?
Sorry, confused. How are they under the load rating for a Cali when they are rated at 850kg each (1700kg per axle) and the max axle weights are 1550/1575??

VW stated tyre load rating for a Cali is minimum 103.

VOSA MOT test refers to 'check the manufacturer’s plate to find the maximum laden weight of an axle. You must check that the tyres fitted have a load rating that can carry the laden weight of the axle.'

The sticker on the b pillar is a recommendation no doubt to allow for an additional margin for under inflation of tyres or overloaded vehicles - the load index of the tyres relative to the axle weight is the legal requirement.

VOSA MOT test refers to 'check the manufacturer’s plate to find the maximum laden weight of an axle. You must check that the tyres fitted have a load rating that can carry the laden weight of the axle.'

The sticker on the b pillar is a recommendation no doubt to allow for an additional margin for under inflation of tyres or overloaded vehicles - the load index of the tyres relative to the axle weight is the legal requirement.
I would run that by your insurance company to get confirmation. I can guess what their answer will be. The sticker says what the manufacturer has stated the vehicle's legal requirements are for licensing.

I trust we are going to see a photo of the van with its new boots.... That's when Mrs HowieDog has stopped admiring them in the front room!

As long as your insurer takes that position. Speak to them to be sure. I went round the houses with new tyres last year, my insurer was fine as long as minimum 103 load rating was adhered to (mine are 106).

As long as your insurer takes that position. Speak to them to be sure. I went round the houses with new tyres last year, my insurer was fine as long as minimum 103 load rating was adhered to (mine are 106).

Will do.

I trust we are going to see a photo of the van with its new boots.... That's when Mrs HowieDog has stopped admiring them in the front room!

They've been relegated to the garage for now. Should be in the next few weeks...

My local VW Dealer had a rack of 18" wheels with 235/50/18 101 load rated tyres fitted as a standard conversion option.
I've seen numerous vans with this load rating fitted.

I didn't query the 101 load aspect as merely passing time whilst waiting.

Back