Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dealership rang, offered to swap my van! Sanity check please

I Agree again.

If the auto roof wasn't a problem, why do I have a list of all of the part numbers
and diagrams of how it works, a litre of special vw hydraulic oil and a big syringe.
Why have I spent many hours trying to work out what is what and changing a ram.
I've had to do all of this because there are not many clued up people at vw, they just want to
fix it by a process of elimination, which can be a bit dear.

All those trying to defend the auto roof, I hope you never have any problems
but the day you do have a problem, you might for a split second think, a manual
roof would be better.

Fair point.
I prefer the simplicity of the manual (I’ve owned both) roof. But the ease and convenience of the electric operation, is quite nice.
Longterm ownership, yeah. I would take the manual version.

I guess most other things failing will not leave you stranded in the same way as the roof not coming down. I find the manual roof incredibly quick and easy. Unclip and give it a quick shove to put it up, pull it down and clip for the reverse. Takes less than 30 seconds. No risk of pinching, no sag. I wouldn't spec an electric roof, and I would certainly prefer a manual one on an older California.

On the coast Vs ocean question, I just sat with the dealer and specced up both with everything I could possible want. (Fancy air con, AAC, heater, LED headlights, shower thing, led interior lights, tinted windows, etc, etc) and the coast came out 6k cheaper, for which I gave up colour matched electric folding wing mirrors (which I subsequently smashed off twice anyway and was able to replace myself for less than £30)

I guess most other things failing will not leave you stranded in the same way as the roof not coming down.
Unless it’s a engine failing, or a turbo or even a 4motion diff exploding, all of Which have been reported on here in the last few weeks.
An ocean roof failing has an emergency release & the van comes with emergency tie downs.

I guess most other things failing will not leave you stranded in the same way as the roof not coming down. I find the manual roof incredibly quick and easy. Unclip and give it a quick shove to put it up, pull it down and clip for the reverse. Takes less than 30 seconds. No risk of pinching, no sag. I wouldn't spec an electric roof, and I would certainly prefer a manual one on an older California.
Oh come on. If the roof doesn't come down you just use the manual release. I can think of many other things that can leave you well and truly stranded. Turbo, fuel pumps, drive shafts etc: etc:.

“We buy any car” have valued my 2017 Caravelle at a little over £30,000. Looking on VW dealers’ used vehicle websites I found same year Caravelles with prices significantly higher.
One Caravelle (same year and identical spec to mine) was priced at £38,000 with over 40,000 miles on the clock - mine is still under 18,000 miles.
Like a previous poster has said; dealers are not handing out gifts - they are in it for money (in this case, your money).
Rather than look at any gains you “might” be making, work out how much extra cash you will be forking out towards your motoring. Then calculate the pros and cons.

I reckon it had 100 miles to the dealer. First owner drove 100 miles to their first camp picking an awful wet weekend. Trekking 400 yards across a wet field at 4am hadn't been mentioned in the brochure. The dealer offered them 7k more than they'd paid for it, so they drove in 100 miles back and are now holidaying in Bahamas, and banking the balance. Don't blame them!

Unless it’s a engine failing, or a turbo or even a 4motion diff exploding, all of Which have been reported on here in the last few weeks.
An ocean roof failing has an emergency release & the van comes with emergency tie downs.
True, it’s just so unfortunate it would end our vacation because we are four. I hope nobody got any emergencies on their travels or anywhere else.
I can say, if there was no option to spec a california without the electric-hydraulic roof but with the cabinets, I would not have ordered our coast and searched for some other brand (possibly westfalia).
It does look cool, an electric-hydraulic roof but ours is faster and not known to break down.

How did it pan out with the dealer today?
Which colour is it?
I did it guys.

Ocean was a retirement gift to a VW employee at another location. They rejected it and sold it back to dealer for I imagine a very nice chunk of cash instead.

I'm over the moon at this stage and can't believe how lucky I've been, feel fortunate to have been able to take the call from the dealer and move on this so quickly (rang weds, bought fri)

Van checks out perfect, with my coast there were a few tiny issues but I've spent the last hours fiddling around and can't find any faults whatsoever.

I've enjoyed the Coast vs Ocean banter but it's not something I'll be taking part in, because as recent history has shown I'd(have) own both!

Few immediate take aways:
- it's definitely smoother drive, prob a combination of bigger wheels, also suspension(body roll) seems greatly reduced
- lightning is so much better(many more interior lights)
- led headlights are a huge upgrade
- digital dash is great (didn't think I'd like this)
- discover media pro (massive screen) is lovely and wireless CarPlay works very well (id previously been slumming it with Bluetooth + MagSafe mount due to wired CarPlay interference noise)
- rear aircon baby!
- roof is neat and less hassle
- auto start stop cabin click is quieter

If you see an Ascot Grey Ocean with the awning removed out and about please wave, I'll be the one with a massive grin on my stupid face.

My wife is not interested. So hence my buying a Nissan 350Z or 911 and a hotel! probably the latter are cheaper. in the end and more fun?
Well one of those three will be fun.

I did it guys.

Ocean was a retirement gift to a VW employee at another location. They rejected it and sold it back to dealer for I imagine a very nice chunk of cash instead.

I'm over the moon at this stage and can't believe how lucky I've been, feel fortunate to have been able to take the call from the dealer and move on this so quickly (rang weds, bought fri)

Van checks out perfect, with my coast there were a few tiny issues but I've spent the last hours fiddling around and can't find any faults whatsoever.

I've enjoyed the Coast vs Ocean banter but it's not something I'll be taking part in, because as recent history has shown I'd(have) own both!

- it's definitely smoother drive, prob a combination of bigger wheels, also suspension(body roll) seems greatly reduced
- discover media pro (massive screen) is lovely and wireless CarPlay works very well (id previously been slumming it with Bluetooth + MagSafe mount due to wired CarPlay interference noise)
- rear aircon baby!

If you see an Ascot Grey Ocean with the awning removed out and about please wave, I'll be the one with a massive grin on my stupid face.

Well done, you finally got a proper one…
Only joking ;)

Report back in a few months pros and cons of each, I’m sure many people will be interested in your experience of both.
Enjoy the Ocean.

I did it guys.

- rear aircon baby!

So the the only unanswered question for those following the post is what was the price differential between the old and new?

Back