Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dealership rang, offered to swap my van! Sanity check please

C

CC44853

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
So yesterday I get a call from the dealership which went something like:

"we note that your van is nearing the end of it's warrently (approx 20 months old).
would you like to swap your van?"

Hadn't been thinking about this at all but thought I'd entertain, the salesman continued:

"new orders are currently taking 12 months, but we do have a vehicle in stock we can offer you"

Some more back and fore and i'm going to see it tomorrow with possibly exchanging on the same day, details:

My van: 2020 coast (18k miles on the clock, basic spec with parking sensors and reverse camera)
New van: 2022 ocean (300 (delivery) miles on the clock, decent spec with discovery pro upgrade, shower connection etc)

Here's the thing, they've offered a part exchange on my van that exceeds the price I paid for it by about 2k,

Would I be silly to turn this down if the van checks out (i will be test driving etc)
Any opinions greatly appreciated, I am very inexperienced in the world of buying/selling vehicles.

The only thing I can add is that the dealer, however straight they are, won't be doing this out of the kindness of their heart. There has to be something in it for them. Your job is to find out what it is. They'll have a buyer for your van already, that's for certain; maybe the new one is a cancelled order they don't think they can shift quickly enough. Who knows?

Just make sure the sums work out for you.

The only thing I can add is that the dealer, however straight they are, won't be doing this out of the kindness of their heart. There has to be something in it for them. Your job is to find out what it is. They'll have a buyer for your van already, that's for certain; maybe the new one is a cancelled order they don't think they can shift quickly enough. Who knows?

Just make sure the sums work out for you.

I really appreciate this, I will try to have a sensible moment before making the decision.

Keep the Coast, manual roof is the way to go..

Btw, how much would it cost to upgrade?

The difference is affordable, the cost of the new van matches up with a new one via the configurator.

I bought my van with no discount back when the prices were less crazy in 2020.

Check how much you would get for your coast on open market, does it match up to dealer price.

So yesterday I get a call from the dealership which went something like:

New van: 2022 ocean (300 (delivery) miles on the clock, decent spec with discovery pro upgrade, shower connection etc)

Here's the thing, they've offered a part exchange on my van that exceeds the price I paid for it by about 2k,

Having spent part of this week in discussions with a dealer & negotiating a price, there are a couple of things to be aware of:

If you are financing VW interest rates have gone up is now 6.9% for under 5 years on a new van, 8.4% on finance over 5 years. For used - & that includes almost all of those available even with literally 5 miles on the clock the rates are 7.8% and 9.3%

The prices being charged tend to match the configurator with todays price but ignore the fact that the available van was ordered at a lower figure.

Drive the deal will get you 9% off list if you are prepared to wait.

Combine the above and a 5 mile 1 week old van on 10 year finance could cost you more than £15k more over its life time than ordering new!

There are some vans "available" that have already been registered off the Vin number but are still 8 weeks away from the dealer!

All the dealers are putting the prices up on those existing Vans on Saturday.

Do your sums and if you want it and can afford it then go for it ... carpe diem ... the big question is, why was it bought back?

Agree!
I will try to get to the bottom of it tomorrow, if I smell a fish I'll walk away, only cost to me is diesel.

Intriguing commercial model. I imagine demand is down and I can see how it's an easier sell getting you to upgrade to the Ocean than trying to find someone that'll pay full list price. Your Coast would then presumably have a larger potential market being a lower price. Does feel like there's some other reason though. Maybe they'll call up someone with a 5 year old van and get them to upgrade to your Coast, and so on! It's like a housing chain for Calis.

If you want and Ocean, even if it's a give and take and the dealer ia making something, sounds a reasonable thing to look at for my thinking.

If you don't and prefer a Coast, maybe time to stop and think.

But all in, feels like pursing is valid to me.

Thanks for all of your comments. I really appreciate it.

If the dealer had not called, would you be considering changing your Coast at all?

If the dealer had not called, would you be considering changing your Coast at all?
Never crossed my mind no.

Feels like an opportunity on:
- a nice change of van (love the colour)
- better spec
- will hold value better (as coast is no longer sold in uk)
- fresh new 2 year-ish warranty

Its the end of a quarter, there's a fair bit of high priced stock sitting around & the market is disappearing by the minute.
Theres a couple of vans that I rang about early August where dealers were not prepared drop a penny that are still available.
Not many people out there desperate to part with £70k+ for a new van.

On the other hand list price goes up again Saturday & VW finance deals probably have a further increase in interest rate, there's a couple of dealers desperate to sell another van this quarter so might just be a reasonable time to buy.

Back