Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dealership rang, offered to swap my van! Sanity check please

At 300 miles it’s probably just a preregistered one not a customer return.

He says its a customer return.
Sorry, his first post said 300 delivery miles, which I took to mean it had been shunted around between Vw uk & a dealer

I missed the later post.

So yesterday I get a call from the dealership which went something like:

"we note that your van is nearing the end of it's warrently (approx 20 months old).
would you like to swap your van?"

Hadn't been thinking about this at all but thought I'd entertain, the salesman continued:

"new orders are currently taking 12 months, but we do have a vehicle in stock we can offer you"

Some more back and fore and i'm going to see it tomorrow with possibly exchanging on the same day, details:

My van: 2020 coast (18k miles on the clock, basic spec with parking sensors and reverse camera)
New van: 2022 ocean (300 (delivery) miles on the clock, decent spec with discovery pro upgrade, shower connection etc)

Here's the thing, they've offered a part exchange on my van that exceeds the price I paid for it by about 2k,

Would I be silly to turn this down if the van checks out (i will be test driving etc)
Any opinions greatly appreciated, I am very inexperienced in the world of buying/selling vehicles.
Its all about “the price to change”.
Does it make sense? It sounds like you’re set on the idea. You seem to think the new deal is good but you acknowledge that the trade in value is good only because you paid full price originally so not necessarily that good. I think if there were things/features that you wanted in the new van, it would make sense, otherwise why spend money for basically the same van.

But then I have a 2008 Cali and a 2008 Gti so perhaps I’m not the best to answer. I’ve learnt that “new” isn’t new for long and that gloss and that new smell wears off quite quickly. Then you’ve basically got the same thing but less money.

Last edited:
But then I have a 2008 Cali and a 2008 Gti so perhaps I’m not the best to answer. I’ve learnt that “new” isn’t new for long and that gloss and that new smell wears off quite quickly. Then you’ve basically got the same thing but less money.
Completely agree. I keep vehicles for years and years, for lots of people they have become "quick fashion" - something to be swapped every 2 years.

Who is the previous owner? An employee of vw who bought it at a discount and now selling it for list price?
If that's the case it could be a valid offer.
I would check all electrical/camping unit related function first on a t6.1.

auto roofs also on Cabrios have been around for a while, how offen do the fail?

Who is the previous owner? An employee of vw who bought it at a discount and now selling it for list price?
If that's the case it could be a valid offer.
I would check all electrical/camping unit related function first on a t6.1.

auto roofs also on Cabrios have been around for a while, how offen do the fail?
True. Ours was ex VW employee but had 5000 mls and was 18mths old. I think they can’t sell them for a year.
He needs to ask why the car was returned. Then he needs to decide if the answer is believable.

Are you happy with your current van? All sorted? Not struggling to resolve any niggles. I personally wouldn't swap a well sorted van for an unknown. We'll not without a very good upside.

Lots of points to consider already highlighted on previous posts. Our van ( bought 3 years ago) had been rejected by purchaser as wrong tint on windows, so doesn’t always mean something untoward .

True. Ours was ex VW employee but had 5000 mls and was 18mths old. I think they can’t sell them for a year.
He needs to ask why the car was returned. Then he needs to decide if the answer is believable.

We bought ours immediately as a pre registered vehicle. The dealer had to be on the V5 as the keeper for our first three months of ownership.

Obvious thing if you are yearning after a new van is to order one now from a broker, take the 9% discount and get exactly what you want. Minimum deposit.
Wait 'til it arrives and then sell your Cali here for full money.
If the world has fallen apart by then, walk away from the new one one, potentially lose the deposit but still be better off than double lining the dealer's pocket with this swap.

I would say that the Coast will be sought after vehicle in years to come.
( just my opinion )

Why would anyone want a Poverty spec van over the Ocean.
Providing everything checks out, could be a great upgrade, plus the warranty gives some piece of mind and try and get extended warranty over 5 years to sweeten the deal… :thumb

We bought ours immediately as a pre registered vehicle. The dealer had to be on the V5 as the keeper for our first three months of ownership.
No, the dealership bought it back from the first named owner.”
Not pre registered.

Speculating about perceived problems, design flaws, faults that might not even be there - and worrying about what the future might hold ... that's procrastination and it's how you end up dead without ever doing the things you really want to in life.

... If it were me, I'd find out why it was bought back, if it checked out as OK, and I liked the van and wanted it, and could afford it ... then I'd go for it. If it turned out to be a mistake then I'd sell it on.

Better to regret the things you have done in life than the things you haven't.

I bought my Cali on the spot, the day I saw it - don't regret it yet, and am collecting great memories in the meantime visiting lots of interesting places.

Back