Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Damp carpet between seats

angel

angel

VIP Member
I’ve owned a 2006 VW California since new and it’s been brill, few teething problems but generally fab. But just recently I have found the carpet between the two seats is wet. I know it’s foam backed so will act as a sponge but at a loss to see where it is coming from. No leaks from water tanks, trying to get the handbrake shroud off without breaking it! To see if there is a grommet gone there.
Any tips please......

I’ve owned a 2006 VW California since new and it’s been brill, few teething problems but generally fab. But just recently I have found the carpet between the two seats is wet. I know it’s foam backed so will act as a sponge but at a loss to see where it is coming from. No leaks from water tanks, trying to get the handbrake shroud off without breaking it! To see if there is a grommet gone there.
Any tips please......

I was going to come in with some of my medical knoledge when I read the title of your post.

But there has been posts about the roof drains being blocked in the past causing wetness inside the van.

When this happened to me the first time, it was the short pipe between the water
tank and the filler cap.
It was loose, so when i was firing water into the tank, some of it was going into the van,
it tracked through to the front carpet.
The second time i had water in was through the sliding window seal, although that water
ingress didn´t wet the carpet too much.

Hi I had a similar situation and with the help of vwcampersales worked out it was the front drainage tube from the roof had become disconnected from the connection between the drain tube and the trumpet which connects to the wheel arch allowing the water to drain out behind the front wheel, initially we removed the end cap of the dash board and poured water into the roof drain while we shone a torch either up under the dashboard of through the end of the dash and could see the water leaking I had pulled the carpet under the dashboard down, It was quite fiddly reconnecting the two but has been a success, this might help.

Any tips please......
Check the Roof Drains first. Ideally with a low pressure air source.

Hi I had a similar situation and with the help of vwcampersales worked out it was the front drainage tube from the roof had become disconnected from the connection between the drain tube and the trumpet which connects to the wheel arch allowing the water to drain out behind the front wheel, initially we removed the end cap of the dash board and poured water into the roof drain while we shone a torch either up under the dashboard of through the end of the dash and could see the water leaking I had pulled the carpet under the dashboard down, It was quite fiddly reconnecting the two but has been a success, this might help.
Please would you tell me where to find, and how to access the connection between the drain tube and the wheel arch? Thanks.

Please would you tell me where to find, and how to access the connection between the drain tube and the wheel arch? Thanks.
You have to remove the internal trim on the A Pillar, ie: the trim alongside the windscreen.

Part 5
A2BF0344-D104-47F9-8A7F-F3AD8E18530F.jpeg

Parts 5, 12 , 13 & 20 are the Drain.

32BAFFD6-C41F-437C-83EE-638C5C7C5ED6.jpeg

Thank you very much. That looks suitably terrifying and I wouldn't know where to start. However now I know why the piece of strimmer cord I was using to try and clear the front drain only goes in about 2 inches. Please can you tell me, does part no. 5 open out into the wheel arch? If so I could take my bit of strimmer cable and wiggle it around in the bottom opening to try and get the tube to drain freely (just pooling at the top at present). Next step will be to try the aerosal can of air which I could do from the top of the drain tube, but presume it would be better to tackle the blockage from the bottom end.

Thank you very much. That looks suitably terrifying and I wouldn't know where to start. However now I know why the piece of strimmer cord I was using to try and clear the front drain only goes in about 2 inches. Please can you tell me, does part no. 5 open out into the wheel arch? If so I could take my bit of strimmer cable and wiggle it around in the bottom opening to try and get the tube to drain freely (just pooling at the top at present). Next step will be to try the aerosal can of air which I could do from the top of the drain tube, but presume it would be better to tackle the blockage from the bottom end.
I used a syringe like this to clear the pipe.
You have to be careful sticking things down the drain hole cos
the brown tubing is very soft material and could easily be pierced.
images-108.jpeg

The drain doesn't open into the wheel arch but behind the plastic grill below the windscreen. Water exits there and then drains out via the wheel arch.

OK, thanks so much to both of you - Welsh Gas and Westfalia - for taking the time to help me. Now to find the right forum for advice on why my rear seat lever won't lift unless I have a serious dust-up with the seat.......

OK, thanks so much to both of you - Welsh Gas and Westfalia - for taking the time to help me. Now to find the right forum for advice on why my rear seat lever won't lift unless I have a serious dust-up with the seat.......
Thats in the 'sit on it and rock it forward and backwards a bit whilst
lifting the lever'
forum innit?