Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cycling Mikey

It amazes me how absorbed some people are in their phones, instead of the task at hand. Mikey, parks his bike, leisurely walks over, films her for a minute and heads back to his bike. She’s completely unaware and thus, I fully support what Mikey is doing here.
Can’t believe she got let off…

It amazes me how absorbed some people are in their phones, instead of the task at hand. Mikey, parks his bike, leisurely walks over, films her for a minute and heads back to his bike. She’s completely unaware and thus, I fully support what Mikey is doing here.
Can’t believe she got let off…

Courts are not infallible.

Courts are not infallible.
Its not the Court thats in the wrong, when applying the letter of the law she was not guilty of the offence that she was charged with.
If she had been charged without due care & attention it may have resulted in a different verdict.

It amazes me how many people over the age of 12 engage in social media. It is the most banal inane moronic pass time.

Its not the Court thats in the wrong, when applying the letter of the law she was not guilty of the offence that she was charged with.
If she had been charged without due care & attention it may have resulted in a different verdict.
I’m totally against the use of mobiles in cars, even hands free is a distraction, but I’m puzzled that the use of hand held 2 way radio, “walkie talkies”, seems ok. Just about every episode of Top Gear shows them being used whilst on public roads.

I’m totally against the use of mobiles in cars, even hands free is a distraction, but I’m puzzled that the use of hand held 2 way radio, “walkie talkies”, seems ok. Just about every episode of Top Gear shows them being used whilst on public roads.
I think that the Cycling Mikey videos show why mobile phones are so much more of a distraction than two-way radios. Walkie talkies work on the single push of a button, whereas phones have multiple buttons or touch screen and, crucially, something that needs looking at.

I think that the Cycling Mikey videos show why mobile phones are so much more of a distraction than two-way radios. Walkie talkies work on the single push of a button, whereas phones have multiple buttons or touch screen and, crucially, something that needs looking at.

Mobile phones for some are almost irresistible.

Once there is an alert of a call or text coming through so the desire to see what it is, perhaps reply or discuss contents, can be overwhelming for many.

I'm terrible. The only way I can stay right side of the law, and right side of moral responsibility, is to switch all phones and I-pads off and pop them out of sight until the journey is over. Out of sight for me also means not able to be reached whilst driving.

I’m totally against the use of mobiles in cars, even hands free is a distraction.
I agree.

One of our daughters often uses her time whilst driving to telephone us. This annoys me intensely for two reasons:
1. During these often protracted calls, she rarely says anything that couldn't be said when she wasn't driving.
2. She often interrupts her dialogue with some ejaculation about what some idiot driver has just done near her!!!

Mobile phones are a destraction whether hand held or hands free. To add to this problem, cars are now being fitted with bigger and more comprehensive infotainment systems. Some vehicles are fitted with huge screens that give the driver access to a mass of unecessary distractions.

I remember my first car. It was an Austin Seven Mini mk1. It had a speedometer and a fuel gauge and that was it. No phone, no unnecessary gauges, no multi coloured led displays, no sat nav and no radio, no play list or Apple play thingy or Andriod whatsit. So the only thing left to do was look at where you were going.

I'm not saying that we should return to that format but all the while we humans are in control of our motor vehicles the less info and stuff to fiddle with whilst driving the better imo.

Last edited:
That's only part of the problem. Few drivers are suitably aware of the gravity of getting behind a wheel of 1.5t of machinery. I have no doubt that many are capable of making a call while driving, but the law must be based on the fact that most are not, and need 100% of their focus on the road.

By their design Walkie Talkies require them to be hand held and as far as I’m aware need the Transmit button to be depressed and held down, so one hand is off the wheel for the duration of the conversation.

By their design Walkie Talkies require them to be hand held and as far as I’m aware need the Transmit button to be depressed and held down, so one hand is off the wheel for the duration of the conversation.

I know. But at least the driver should be looking at the road ahead, and not looking down to press the correct button or read the screen.

It seems little or no worse that sipping water or popping a mint into your mouth.

Terrible isn't it.

Perhaps we should just rely on trial by social media and forget about examination of all of the evidence by those schooled in the law.

I’m not suggesting a better or alternative justice system, but about 10% of appeals are successful, but as the prosecution cannot usually appeal, there is an indication that if they could, up to 10% would be successful appeals.

Perhaps one worthwhile electronic gadget car manufacturers should be made to install is a mobile phone scramble device. The only service it will allow is emergency calls.

As soon as you set foot in a vehicle you are electronically blocked from I’m-a-self-obsessed-twat-a-gram.

Does make you wonder how the latest Range Rovers / Tesla etc., with large glass interactive screens that have to be looked at to even change the heating, are supposed to be any safer than smartphones. At least in cars without these interfaces you can feel the right button whilst looking at the road.

And another thing, is the plural for Tesla, Teslas, Teslai or Tesla?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does make you wonder how the latest Range Rovers / Tesla etc., with large glass interactive screens that have to be looked at to even change the heating, are supposed to be any safer than smartphones. At least in cars without these interfaces you can feel the right button whilst looking at the road.

Teslae.

It amazes me how many people over the age of 12 engage in social media. It is the most banal inane moronic pass time.
Agree, however this forum might be considered by some as Social Media. :)

Perhaps one worthwhile electronic gadget car manufacturers should be made to install is a mobile phone scramble device. The only service it will allow is emergency calls.

As soon as you set foot in a vehicle you are electronically blocked from I’m-a-self-obsessed-twat-a-gram.
Won’t work. What about passengers?

I find that the problem with spending too much time on banal inane moronic pastimes is that I can then struggle to decide whether the irony in a particular post on social media was deliberate or not.:)

Agree with that @s2bear .
Never mind Range Rovers, the Media Pro touch screen in the California is potentially very distracting!

Agree with that @s2bear .
Never mind Range Rovers, the Media Pro touch screen in the California is potentially very distracting!
Less distracting than trying to unfold a map & read it, open a cd case & swap CDs, at least the heating controls are still buttons & knobs.

He doesn't always get a result, even when there seems to be a clear case.

It was stationary traffic, I can't see the problem, I too sometimes
look at my phone when at a red light or stopped in traffic.

I wish someone would nick his bike.
He would just be called Mick then.

Back