Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cut corners on quality? Possible (& article with some explanation).

calibusje

calibusje

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hellow

In my post https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/a-bit-long-but-honest-and-personal-review-of-our-coast.45819/ I wrote "Do I think it is the quality vehicle that it is sold for? Not really... and I think I know why. But that's for another thread." Well here's some explanation in an article I read online:

I'll post the whole article from AUTO55.BE but highlighted (in red) what concerns quality:
Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess is thanked for services rendered. Although his contract in principle still ran until 2025, he will be replaced from September 1.
Diess position had been under pressure for some time. The man was elected CEO after the diesel scandal that will have far-reaching consequences for the mobility of Europeans today and in the future. Diess set ambitious goals in the field of electrification. A common criticism, which grew louder, was that these products could not meet the expectations of both the consumer and the manufacturer in terms of features and costs. While the press release only praises what Diess has accomplished, behind the scenes there is said to have been great concern about the feasibility of the future plans.

There is unrest in particular among the Piëch and Porsche families, two major shareholders and - consequently - powerful currents within the board of VW. It should therefore come as no surprise that Oliver Blüme has been elected as the new CEO. That man has Porsche under his wing and is said to have developed a strategy that is more widely supported. But what might that mean for the customer in the future? Diess was not only the man of risky EV strategy, but also the man of unscrupulous savings. After he had done the same at BMW before, the quality and perceivable quality of the components deteriorated significantly at the various VW brands. More profit is made with fewer cars. Anyone looking at this evolution with sorrow should not expect any improvement from Blüme. Thomas Schaefer, the CEO of the Volkswagen brand, has already indicated that the various brands of the group will build models in the future that have (even) more parts in common. This is especially the case for VW, Skoda and Seat. That strategy was set out under Diess and is too advanced to adjust in the short term.

Let's face it: in identical segments, the brands above already have models that barely distinguish themselves in terms of characteristics. You have to dive deep into the reading of specialized car media to believe that, for example, a Seat Leon is really different from a VW Golf. Is is exactly the same car in a different dress. But… those cars will have to look even more alike in the future. VW proposes another 20% more common parts. This is actually only possible by making the interior and the course work almost identical. And that is exactly what Schaefer has in mind. Differences such as there were between the VW Up, Skoda Citigo and Seat Mii 'are more than sufficient'. This means that the different brands will only be able to distinguish themselves with details such as bumpers, grilles and superficial decoration (such as fabrics, moldings, rims…). “The competition is outside the company, not within it,” Schaefer says.
What does that mean right away? Well, that the successors of the VW Polo, Seat Ibiza (if still planned) and Skoda Fabia will get one body together. The same is said of the VW Passat and Skoda Superb, of the VW Golf and Seat Leon (the fate of the Skoda Octavia is unclear), of the VW Tiguan, Skoda Karoq and Seat Ateca etcetera… The three brands together account for 80% of the brand's global sales. Those agreements will of course also apply to the brand's future electric models.

Although the Taycan is the first all-electric Porsche to be extremely successful and the manufacturer of -mainly- sporty SUVs - is also looking forward to full electrification for those models, Blüme is still known as a somewhat cooler lover of the EV. Or better - a less unconditional one. In addition to electrification, Porsche is also focusing on synthetic fuels. There are already whispers behind the scenes that the Volkswagen Group may be less rigorous in lobbying for the EV in the future as the economic risks of that strategy become clearer. The electric car is not only polarizing among consumers (where apparently only fanatical proponents or fierce opponents exist). There is also great disagreement about this among the car brands. With, for example, proponents such as Volvo (coincidentally or not with a strong Chinese connection) and opponents such as Stellantis.

Dieselgate significantly disrupted VW's US expansion plans. Volkswagen nevertheless wants to get rid of its niche role. Among other things, by building more electric cars on American soil. And by taking advantage of the financial benefits associated with production there. There are two new SUVs, a research center and maybe even a new battery factory. For the first time, the Germans are prepared to distance themselves from the German brand name in order to realize their ambitions. It wants to use the name "Scout" for electric "trucks" (large SUVs) and pickups. It also acquired the naming rights through the purchase of the American truck brand Navistar. The Scout was a two-door off-road vehicle and pickup that was built by International Harvester between 1961 and 1980. The model did not receive a successor, but it did settle in the collective American memory. In the long run, VW wants to get 10% of the market in this way.
Finally, in China, the group mainly wants to offer products that “better match the tastes and needs of Chinese customers”.
Cost savings? Yes, enough nice things 'disappeared' when you compare the T6 and T6.1 (like glove box trim, double horn). That I read in various threads here and posts at facebookpages about the california.
However, I suspect (and this is my opinion, everyone has their own idea about this) that the quality control after the built of a cali was greatly reduced.
So, Do I think it is the quality vehicle that it is sold for? Not really. Do I feel taken for a ride? No, because as a small agile camper it is still a winner. Would I rather have bought a young second-hand T6 coast? No, at that time (summer 2020) they were more expensive than ordering a new T6.1 coast. Am I disappointed: yes, a bit. Is it all that bad? No, not at all. Unless they can't fix the creaking at the bottom right of my windshield while A/C is working :Grin
This bus still gives us the feeling that we are on the road with a firm update of the old one and that is all we wanted.

Greetings
Calibusje

Last edited:
Hellow

In my post https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/a-bit-long-but-honest-and-personal-review-of-our-coast.45819/ I wrote "Do I think it is the quality vehicle that it is sold for? Not really... and I think I know why. But that's for another thread." Well here's some explanation in an article I read online:

I'll post the whole article from AUTO55.BE but highlighted (in red) what concerns quality:

Cost savings? Yes, enough nice things 'disappeared' when you compare the T6 and T6.1 (like glove box trim, double horn). That I read in various threads here and posts at facebookpages about the california.
However, I suspect (and this is my opinion, everyone has their own idea about this) that the quality control after the built of a cali was greatly reduced.
So, Do I think it is the quality vehicle that it is sold for? Not really. Do I feel taken for a ride? No, because as a small agile camper it is still a winner. Would I rather have bought a young second-hand T6 coast? No, at that time (summer 2020) they were more expensive than ordering a new T6.1 coast. Am I disappointed: yes, a bit. Is it all that bad? No, not at all. Unless they can't fix the creaking at the bottom right of my windshield while A/C is working :Grin
This bus still gives us the feeling that we are on the road with a firm update of the old one and that is all we wanted.

Greetings
Calibusje
It is not all bad, many improvements too. Last week i discovered for example control panel gives a warning now when you let water pump kitchen run with empty water tank and stops the pump , preventing pump running dry..
overall I am not disapointed after switching from t6 to 6.1.

It is not all bad, many improvements too. Last week i discovered for example control panel gives a warning now when you let water pump kitchen run with empty water tank and stops the pump , preventing pump running dry..
overall I am not disapointed after switching from t6 to 6.1.
Yes, true. And don't get me wrong: I am a BIG fan of the california and the whole concept and even the few upgrades the t6.1 makes BUT: it's about the quality and the lack of it.
So like I wrote, and let me quote myself:
Am I disappointed: yes, a bit. Is it all that bad? No, not at all. Unless they can't fix the creaking at the bottom right of my windshield while A/C is working

Back