Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Crossing from France into Spain. What is the best route?

Lambeth Cali

Lambeth Cali

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
We will be landing in Santander in August and then staying in San Sebastien for 2 nights. We then are going here 31420 Cassagnabère-Tournas, France in the Pyrenees.

Is that easy? Part of me believes that there are no borders to cross. Is that still correct on all routes, even with Covid? I thought I had read somewhere that some routes were clogged with traffic, particularly in the summer.

Google Maps seems to suggest route AP-8 then A63, then A64 in France. It predicts 3 hours which is ok. I'm hoping some of that will be scenic but not too exhausting.

Any suggestions welcome.

We will be landing in Santander in August and then staying in San Sebastien for 2 nights. We then are going here 31420 Cassagnabère-Tournas, France in the Pyrenees.

Is that easy? Part of me believes that there are no borders to cross. Is that still correct on all routes, even with Covid? I thought I had read somewhere that some routes were clogged with traffic, particularly in the summer.

Google Maps seems to suggest route AP-8 then A63, then A64 in France. It predicts 3 hours which is ok. I'm hoping some of that will be scenic but not too exhausting.

Any suggestions welcome.

Stay off the main roads and go via Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, the most popular starting point for the trans Iberian long distance walking trail Camino de Santiago.

Once in France, try following the D918 over about a dozen mountain passes to your destination.

And instead of driving the route in three hours, take 12 hours stopping regularly to see eagles, vultures and the enormous Lammergeier which soars high carrying large bones (up to 4kg) to drop and crack open on the rocks below so it can feast on the marrow.

Hi Lambeth.
That looks the most straight forward route especially if you want to just get there in one go. Some sections of the motorways could get busy in August (they have a bank holiday around the 15th I think).
But you are missing out on a couple of really scenic routes through the Pyrenees.

Amarillo beat me to it!

Stay off the main roads and go via Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, the most popular starting point for the trans Iberian long distance walking trail Camino de Santiago.

Once in France, try following the D918 over about a dozen mountain passes to your destination.

And instead of driving the route in three hours, take 12 hours stopping regularly to see eagles, vultures and the enormous Lammergeier which soars high carrying large bones (up to 4kg) to drop and crack open on the rocks below so it can feast on the marrow.
Well my family are keen bird watchers, although more great tits and goldfinches, but eagles and vultures would be exciting. I'm not sure I can do 12 mountain passes though. We are in the (Midi?) Pyrenees for 4 days. Diverting to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port seems a great idea. I'll look on some paper maps when I get home.
Many thanks.

Hi Lambeth.
That looks the most straight forward route especially if you want to just get there in one go. Some sections of the motorways could get busy in August (they have a bank holiday around the 15th I think).
But you are missing out on a couple of really scenic routes through the Pyrenees.

Amarillo beat me to it!
Thanks.
And is there anywhere you would recommed crossing the border?

Looking at the alternatives, more south than the AP-8, more in the mountains, seems quite circuitous. I'm nervous about ending up on unsuitable roads. At least from the AP-8 you can divert to the D918. That would only add an hour or two.....

The vultures were stunning at the top of the pic d’orhi last week. Eight of them all circling around on the thermals.

Well my family are keen bird watchers, although more great tits and goldfinches, but eagles and vultures would be exciting. I'm not sure I can do 12 mountain passes though. We are in the (Midi?) Pyrenees for 4 days. Diverting to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port seems a great idea. I'll look on some paper maps when I get home.
Many thanks.

Nearly two decades ago I cycled the full length of the Pyrenees, from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean, carrying my tent and all my camping gear over 28 mountain passes in 9 days. A dozen in a motor car is nothing!

But it is that sort of motor trip which makes life-long memories. Absolutely unforgettable.

Any suggestions welcome.
I've mentioned the delays at Biriatou (border crossing on the A-8, 20 mins from San Sebastian) on here before. In August, tailback can be 6 miles especially nearer the end of the month when folk are setting off home. Other times you'll fly through.

The A64 route is all tolls and I'd do it for a weekend break but if you've got most of a day to spare then go San Sebastian to Pamplona on the A15 (free apart from a short stretch you can avoid) and follow signs for Jaca and Huesca.
You could cross the Pyrenees into France at Pierre St Martin, Portalet or Biescas - if it's your first crossing they're all quite spectacular.

Enjoy - if you need any tips around San Sebastian just let me know. We won't be here, heading to the UK for a bit of an August road trip in the new van!

Looking at the alternatives, more south than the AP-8, more in the mountains, seems quite circuitous. I'm nervous about ending up on unsuitable roads. At least from the AP-8 you can divert to the D918. That would only add an hour or two
The three I mentioned are all fine even in winter. The two further east are fairly major freight crossings. PierreSt Martin is quieter and you'll drive up the Roncal valley through tiny stone villages, canyons, twisty roads with cows wandering across. Stop at Juan Pito restaurant for refreshments and enjoy the views if it's sunny

Restaurante Venta de Juan Pito

The three I mentioned are all fine even in winter. The two further east are fairly major freight crossings. PierreSt Martin is quieter and you'll drive up the Roncal valley through tiny stone villages, canyons, twisty roads with cows wandering across. Stop at Juan Pito restaurant for refreshments and enjoy the views if it's sunny

Thanks that’s all very useful. I’ll get a map out.

We always go through Andorra and fill up with “cheap” Diesel. Although I can’t imagine that anywhere has cheap fuel any longer.

Ok
I think I’ve worked out two routes. Many thanks, I wouldn’t have had a clue.
575F97EE-3C95-4A8E-A2BF-D270BBC1F020.jpeg

I think Red is the Roncal valley to the restaurant which looks great.
Blue goes to Saint Jean Pied de Port.
I have to get to our campsite in reasonable time. Its quite a long way. Kids will like vulture spotting and wife will like the restaurant lunchstop but will like to get to destination by teatime!
E36E9E6B-445F-4D8F-89B9-C7EF8C0D4940.png

1116B040-1A55-435B-AE0D-57F55F3FD48C.png
Google maps are a bit of a blunt tool but that looks like an ok route combining views, birds, lunch. 6 hours may be ok.
Seem ok?

Last edited:
Ok
I think I’ve worked out two routes. Many thanks, I wouldn’t have had a clue.
View attachment 95252

I think Red is the Roncal valley to the restaurant which looks great.
Blue goes to Saint Jean Pied de Port.
I have to get to our campsite in reasonable time. Its quite a long way. Kids will like vulture spotting and wife will like the restaurant lunchstop but will like to get to destination by teatime!
View attachment 95253

View attachment 95254
Google maps are a bit of a blunt tool but that looks like an ok route combining views, birds, lunch. 6 hours may be ok.
Seem ok?
Yeah, like I say we often do the a64 peage when time is tight but it’s worth seeing the mountain drive as a “day out”. The toll to Pamplona can be avoided but it’s only a couple of euros, there are no other tolls on the route.
You look to be going through Foz de Burgi which is a narrow canyon and quite spectacular, the views are great all the way tbh - the mountain motorway which climbs out of the coastal Basque Country towards Pamplona is breathtaking in clear weather. And even if it’s overcast/raining here, it’s often opposite as you get through the “Dos Hermanas” into Irurtzun.

Whether it’s worth the extra time (maybe 3 hours longer?) is up to you, but you need to stop for lunch anyway, better to do that at Juan Pito than a Flunch on the motorway ;)

Btw you can see my house from your campsite!

Martin Dorey seems to like the D918
714859D8-DD0C-4B91-9456-24F44466384D.jpeg

I’ve ridden the that road a lot on bike (pedal and motor) and would recommend it too - though it doesn’t do the big mountain pass crossing. Thanks for the reminder, will make a point of doing it in the van this summer!

Any suggestions welcome.
Yes no physical borders. Definitely AP8 to border AP63 to Bayonne AP64 to Cassagnabère-Tournas. You may queue for a mile or so down the hill on the AP8 to the French border at Irun but it usually moves quickly.

You could head east and then cross the Pyrenees eg via Pamplona and Lourdes but it’ll take 3 times as long.

I’ve ridden the that road a lot on bike (pedal and motor) and would recommend it too - though it doesn’t do the big mountain pass crossing. Thanks for the reminder, will make a point of doing it in the van this summer!

It crosses the Col d'Aubisque, Col du Soulor, Col du Tourmalet, Col d'Aspin, Col de Peyresourde, Col du Portillon, [enters Spain], [re-enters France], Col des Ares, Col de Portet d'Aspet and Col de Port.

It crosses the Col d'Aubisque, Col du Soulor, Col du Tourmalet, Col d'Aspin, Col de Peyresourde, Col du Portillon, [enters Spain], [re-enters France], Col des Ares, Col de Portet d'Aspet and Col de Port.
It does, famously. I meant for the OP coming from the coast - he’d take the 918 as far as St Jean Pied du Port but then it goes the wrong way for him.

I’m not cycling much these days but I have bittersweet memories of those cols from riding the Luchon-Bayonne and Pyreneenne sportifs. The latter crosses Tourmalet and Aspin, plus Ancizan and finished at the top of Hautacam!

You may queue for a mile or so down the hill on the AP8
as mentioned further up - during “operation return” in late August it backs up for much further. I’ve seen the queue back to Oiartzun services which is a good 10km. Definitely check Google Maps traffic for the length of that dark red line before setting off ;)
If you’ve no choice, then crossing in Irún at Ficoba or Biriatou might be slightly quicker.

I can’t drive for that long! I’m thinking my 2x 3hrs is doable. The 9&12 yr olds would kill me. That’s a whole Harry Potter audio book. Do you know how much those things cost?

Just do half of it. The second half is more scenic, but the first half more practical.

5 Hours 57 minutes not including stops.

1656610225770.png

Last edited:
Hi Lambeth.

Amarillo beat me to it!
We’re going east to west thro’ The Pyrenees , From experience which route is the best? Is Andorra, Err or anywhere else a must?

I can’t drive for that long! I’m thinking my 2x 3hrs is doable. The 9&12 yr olds would kill me. That’s a whole Harry Potter audio book. Do you know how much those things cost?
Just a comment on audio books and kids. I borrow audio books on line from my local library, a great saver on a long journey. Maybe take a look at your library.

Back