Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Crackling sound and the saga continues.

You initially said it appeared to be temperature related and you didn't hear it first thing in the morning before sunrise or on days with lower temperatures. Are you seeing that effect now that the outside temperature has dropped?
Yes, I keep thinking in that direction: In the summer, when the sun shone on the windshield and much more during a ride, there was always a creaking noise. The whole journey, even if it was now half an hour or two. It does indeed only start after a few kilometers, minutes, but certainly soon enough. Then I thought of the effect of the air conditioning (shrink/expand) since it was then right at the bottom of the window and below that pipes from the air conditioning in the dashboard.
I work in shifts and if I leave early in the morning and so no sun could shine on the front window, also not cold at the time: these were wonderful rides: no crackling. In the afternoon, on the way back: crackling again (after a few kilometers). So I was really thinking about the effect of heat and cooling.
Now that it is colder and the window has been cold and has not seen the sun, it also crackles: heating works… Again: cold and heat. I think it's really about the windshield and that it doesn't fit properly. Yet, I'm open to any sensible idea and pass them on to the dealer. Unfortunately, they have their own idea there: it can't be the windshield, nor the dashboard and at the moment they don't know what to do with it anymore. Spicy detail: they have not yet researched that much, very little in fact. It's just denying of what I'm doing. Ok, I know: they are the supposed experts and not me… but I drive the car every day and pass on my experiences (everything as I described above) but they don't do anything with it. I am therefore disappointed in the quality of Volkswagen and how it goes now at our dealer and am considering a complaint against the dealer (they received our money and I ask them for help; help to which I am entitled). I have already been told that they will send our california to the main dealer in Brussels and then I can wait a very long time for the car without being sure that they will proceed to fix the creaking. Also they threatened that if I want them to work on the window and reinstall or even replace it and the crackling hasn't been fixed with it, I'll have to pay for everything. They referred me to another branch of their dealership (not far from us luckily) and I hope they look at things differently there. I'm afraid I'll have to file a complaint and see what happens then. I am even considering selling our 5 month old coast. However, for now I must stay positive.

Last edited:
Once the sound manifests, does it remain constant or can you perceive changes during the ride?
Does your speed or the type of road surface have any effect at all?
Have you ever tried driving with the AC and heating system turned off completely to eliminate any mechanical vibration that could be coming from there?

Once the sound manifests, does it remain constant or can you perceive changes during the ride?
Does your speed or the type of road surface have any effect at all?
Have you ever tried driving with the AC and heating system turned off completely to eliminate any mechanical vibration that could be coming from there?
First: thank you for thinking along.
Changing happens when the road is not smooth: more and louder crackling. But even on an billiard ball straight road it is there (wasn't like that in the first months so it got worse, I think until when the windshield breaks).
Speed: yes: driving fast like on a motorway: lesser and even something gone.
I did try driving with the aircon fully on off; it is -almost- the same. I say almost because after all the tests I already did, including sticking pieces of wood and cork everywhere in between (I have a whole arsenal with me), it is sometimes difficult to know what exactly is causing a possible mild change in cracking ... or is it's the same but is the ambient temperature different? Who knows?
Greetings

Update: Took our cali to the other department of the dealer yesterday afternoon. I'm curious because it doesn't look so good… it could be guiding pins from the roof scraping the metal from the front above the windshield. This would/could require significant action to resolve. Wait and see what they think. I have to think positive because I would like to enjoy the daily ride with our now 6 month old coast. If not, I’ll sell the crackling thing. That’s how far I am now. Second hands enough and preferably a T5.1 or… a late T4 ;)

Last edited:
Update: Took our cali to the other department of the dealer yesterday afternoon. I'm curious because it doesn't look so good… it could be guiding pins from the roof scraping the metal from the front above the windshield. This would require significant action to resolve. Wait and see what they think. I have to think positive because I would like to enjoy the daily ride with our now 6 month old coast. If not, I’ll sell the crackling thing. That’s how far I am now. Second hands enough and preferably a T5.1 or… a late T4 ;)
Keep us up to date please. As you know I have the same issue (but not as regular and not as loud...)

Keep us up to date please. As you know I have the same issue (but not as regular and not as loud...)
I will. At first it wasn’t so frequent and loud. Now it is every drive I make with it.

For those who are still interested or know what this is all about ;), a follow up: after a week at another department of the dealer it seems that they have solved it. To know if it's final, I'll have to keep them posted.
So, I picked up our coast on Wednesday (a few days ago) and already made many wonderful short -and one longer- rides: without annoying creaking noise around (at the top of) the windscreen :thumb

What did they do? Well, let me first mention that - also with ideas coming from this forum - I did hours of research and searched also on German forums. Finally simply by translating the words 'cracking windshield Transporter' into German, google came up with a link to a video on YouTube with identically the same crackling. I closed my eyes, it was just like in our coast. Now it comes: there was also a solution and I passed it on to the dealer. They still were suspicious (as if I knew and they didn't) but they put their best mechanic on it and after a ride he determined and recorded the creaking. This was forwarded to the warranty service of the importer (I think) and the day after I went to have a look: the entire front roof covering was gone and you could see the guide pins and other bolts. It looked weird; Whatever they did, I longed for a solution. Anyway Wednesday I was allowed to pick him up with a filled up roof spoiler. The matter they injected in it prevents the pins (and bolts) from scraping into the pre-drilled holes in the piece of fixed body roof or against this piece. You can't imagine how I hope this is the final solution.
Greetings
Calibusje

Last edited:
May I add: The pins (and bolts) from the roofspoiler scraping into the pre-drilled holes in the piece of fixed body roof or against this piece. Well, apparently this is a slightly more common issue than one would think: at Volkswagen Campercentrum Amersfoort in the Netherlands they know about it and say the following: for a temporary solution spray with WD 40 in the right place under that spoiler, but between the bolts of the spoiler a plastic nut plate, and it is solved forever. Or what our dealer did with ours: spray something in the roof spoiler (other than wd40).
You get to hear such things on a technical afternoon at CC Amersfoort, someone told me. I'm normally going for such an afternoon in February of 2023 and I'm very curious about their other knowledge.
After my dealer's fix, I can still enjoy the daily rides with our cali.

For those who are still interested or know what this is all about ;), a follow up: after a week at another department of the dealer it seems that they have solved it. To know if it's final, I'll have to keep them posted.
So, I picked up our coast on Wednesday (a few days ago) and already made many wonderful short -and one longer- rides: without annoying creaking noise around (at the top of) the windscreen :thumb

What did they do? Well, let me first mention that - also with ideas coming from this forum - I did hours of research and searched also on German forums. Finally simply by translating the words 'cracking windshield Transporter' into German, google came up with a link to a video on YouTube with identically the same crackling. I closed my eyes, it was just like in our coast. Now it comes: there was also a solution and I passed it on to the dealer. They still were suspicious (as if I knew and they didn't) but they put their best mechanic on it and after a ride he determined and recorded the creaking. This was forwarded to the warranty service of the importer (I think) and the day after I went to have a look: the entire front roof covering was gone and you could see the guide pins and other bolts. It looked weird; Whatever they did, I longed for a solution. Anyway Wednesday I was allowed to pick him up with a filled up roof spoiler. The matter they injected in it prevents the pins (and bolts) from scraping into the pre-drilled holes in the piece of fixed body roof or against this piece. You can't imagine how I hope this is the final solution.
Greetings
Calibusje
Any chance of sharing the you tube link you referred to ? Thanks - had a look and wasn't able to locate it

Any chance of sharing the you tube link you referred to ? Thanks - had a look and wasn't able to locate it
Of course:

This is exactly the crackling like I had. Had and I hope it is finally resolved. Continuous and clearly present; it was more than annoying.

Of course:

This is exactly the crackling like I had. Had and I hope it is finally resolved. Continuous and clearly present; it was more than annoying.
Calibusje was that creaking coming from the very front top right - just above the mic for the the phone (guess the mic would be on the other side whee you are from).

Calibusje was that creaking coming from the very front top right - just above the mic for the the phone (guess the mic would be on the other side whee you are from).
I suspect I don't have a mic (coast of '22) but indeed: the creaking came from above the window, first on the right, later on the left. It was like glass that cracks and is about to burst. It's been gone for over half a year now and assume it's fixed. So it was the pins of the roof attachment that scrape against the the roof of the car itself.

Last edited:
I suspect I don't have a mic (coast of '22) but indeed: the creaking came from above the window, first on the right, later on the left. It was like glass that cracks and is about to burst. It's been gone for over half a year now and assume it's fixed. So it was the pins of the roof attachment that scrape against the the roof of the car itself.
I am getting an intermittent creaking noise which I think is heat related - in warmer weather it creaks. Hopefully today will be warm enough so I can capture it on video for the dealer. Many thanks Scoobz

I am getting an intermittent creaking noise which I think is heat related - in warmer weather it creaks. Hopefully today will be warm enough so I can capture it on video for the dealer. Many thanks Scoobz
I strongly suspect that too; that is why I will not even give a definite answer to the dealer until after the coming summer whether it has been definitively resolved or not. I hope so because the creaking was driving me crazy.
Greetings

I have the same issue on my Coast from time to time. Other than the annoying sound, is there any chance this develops into something bigger in a couple of years? Like could there be any structural damage? Don't want to bother the dealer just because it makes a sound every now and then..

I have the same issue on my Coast from time to time. Other than the annoying sound, is there any chance this develops into something bigger in a couple of years? Like could there be any structural damage? Don't want to bother the dealer just because it makes a sound every now and then..
I don't know about your cali but with me it started occasionally and in warm weather (and uneven roads or wells). It got worse until it was about constant loud crackling. At that time our coast was only 3-4 months old. So don’t know if it’s the same, could be.
Structural damage? the guide pins of the front piece scratch the original metal roof. I don't know what the consequences are.
With that issue, I went to the dealer with the solution I found on the internet and they solved it (no creaking for over half a year now). I really hope it’s permanently.

@calibusje we have the same problem with our t6.1 ocean. The noise is exactly the same. A dealership ‘solved’ it more then a year ago but sun/temp changes make it come back (mostly ‘just’ for a short time). I have checked the posts on the forum but could you please explain the exact problem and solution? If your problem was solved in Belgium could you send me the information regarding the dealership? Thx!

@calibusje we have the same problem with our t6.1 ocean. The noise is exactly the same. A dealership ‘solved’ it more then a year ago but sun/temp changes make it come back (mostly ‘just’ for a short time). I have checked the posts on the forum but could you please explain the exact problem and solution? If your problem was solved in Belgium could you send me the information regarding the dealership? Thx!
If you are experiencing the same as I had a year ago, they will have to fix this: it was very annoying and kept getting worse and louder. So with me it was the pins of the attachment at the top of the windscreen that can just touch the original piece of iron roof and rub against it. They spray something in between (they can also put something else in between). My dealer (Raes, Oostkamp department) did it for us and in CamperCentrum Amersfoort in the Netherlands they also know and have already solved a few. It would be a more common problem. Repaired under warranty but the problem had to be recognized by the importer first. I wanted to experience temperature changes and therefore the different seasons; it hasn't come back in a year and will let them know soon that it's finally resolved.
Success with it.

Back