Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Couldn’t Stay Away for LONG (is there a cure?)!

Damon18

Damon18

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
If I’m honest we (read me) never really left, I was on the site nearly every day, looking at this and that.
We sold our Cali (2018 Acapulco Blue Coast 204 DSG) & caravan in July 2021 and bought a Motorhome (which we still love and will use for long trips (month or more)).
But, and it’s a big BUT, we never really lost our love for our Cali (is there a cure?), so in early December last year we visited our local VW Commercial Dealer, we knew they had some Calis available through their web site (the die was cast).
There were 3 available (1 Beach & 2 Coasts) which met our minimum criteria (150, DSG & Rear Camera).
The end result is that we are now the really happy owners of another California Coast (Cherry Red), it’s missing a few options that we would have liked but nothing important, it was pre-registered with only 18km on the clock.
We’ve called our new Cali “Sakura” (Japanese for Cherry Tree/Blossom).

It looks that once it’s in the blood there’s no cure for the Cali Magic.

So which Options are you REALLY missing?

Honestly nothing that stopped us buying Sakura
Sakura is a French spec Coast and to my knowledge doesn’t have same standard spec as a UK model.
Missing Options we would have liked:
  • Privacy Glass (looking for quotes from local firms)
  • Towbar (we have a box trailer)
  • Driver and Passenger seat height adjustment
  • Uprated Front & Rear Anti Roll bars (HR from somebody like Vanstyle next time in UK)
  • Electric assistance for sliding side door
I think that’s about it, but I usually forget something.

Cheers

Sakura is a French spec Coast and to my knowledge doesn’t have same standard spec as a UK model.
  • Uprated Front & Rear Anti Roll bars (HR from somebody like Vanstyle next time in UK)

Cheers
Seat adjustment means they won't swivel around. VW make the Comfort seat that has height adjustment but cannot swivel. Caused a lot of problems when it became an Option as they failed to mention it wouldn't swivel.

Privacy tint, towbar and anti roll bars can be retrofitted easily.

Sliding door, Comfort Close and full electric Open/Close can also be retrofitted but the full electric Open/Close can be problematic.

Seat adjustment means they won't swivel around. VW make the Comfort seat that has height adjustment but cannot swivel. Caused a lot of problems when it became an Option as they failed to mention it wouldn't swivel.

Sliding door, Comfort Close and full electric Open/Close can also be retrofitted but the full electric Open/Close can be problematic.
Thank's WelshGas.
I'd totally forgotten about the complication with the Comfort seat option.

@Damon18
Same as Andy in Luton, I know the feeling !

I’m currently looking at possibilities of renewing and working my way through the configurator. Regarding the swivel seats, I think (hope) that its now clearer as an option but would be delighted if someone can confirm that I’m choosing the right options to have them, as per attached pics?
F81F4075-6B51-4BF5-890E-1BC99AEE87E7.jpegF1E4B38C-76F8-4687-B357-E298D2A0048E.jpeg

I’m currently looking at possibilities of renewing and working my way through the configurator. Regarding the swivel seats, I think (hope) that its now clearer as an option but would be delighted if someone can confirm that I’m choosing the right options to have them, as per attached pics?
That looks correct to me.
I didn't think you could select the none-swivelling ones at the moment anyway.

Cheers
I spec'ed stiffer ARB's for my Coast. I'll let you know what I think of them at the weekend when I collect it.

Electric sliding door. Best missing option. Bleep bleep bleep. Judder judder judder. Scapped rear wheel arch. No thanks.
I agree more to go wrong - our non electric sliding door has soft close locking function anyway (only plus would be for small children easier to close an electric door IMHO

The soft close on the Cali works really well. Unbelievably our new ID.Buzz hasn't got soft close on its manual door. You have to give it a good old fashioned slame. Then again it was only £64,500!

Our soft close works really well when closing while out of the car.
I bring the door almost until it closes and then a little push on the rear edge of the door, and it's done very very gently.
But closing from the inside is not the same. Back from having a little pee in the middle of the night, and trying to be discreet is not possible to be so quiet. Having no grip on the rear edge of the door, you have to close a little more violently. .. and wake up my wife. :sorry
Do you have the same experience?

The soft close on the Cali works really well. Unbelievably our new ID.Buzz hasn't got soft close on its manual door. You have to give it a good old fashioned slame. Then again it was only £64,500!
I was told it is a cost option, no idea of price.

Our soft close works really well when closing while out of the car.
I bring the door almost until it closes and then a little push on the rear edge of the door, and it's done very very gently.
But closing from the inside is not the same. Back from having a little pee in the middle of the night, and trying to be discreet is not possible to be so quiet. Having no grip on the rear edge of the door, you have to close a little more violently. .. and wake up my wife. :sorry
Do you have the same experience?
I use the cab doors for nocturnal escapes, much quieter and easier with no blind in the way (internal window covers).

I use the cab doors for nocturnal escapes, much quieter and easier with no blind in the way (internal window covers).
We use an isolite blind on the sliding door window so it moves with the door.

The soft close on a T6.1 is almost silent - another massive improvement over the earlier vans.
The full electric door is also significantly quieter, you would struggle to hear the warning beeps from outside the van.

Back