Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Converting the rear seat to a bed and back again

Bigphatwhale

Bigphatwhale

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I'm struggling to find any threads on turning the back seat of my T6.1 Ocean into the bed and back again. I'm gradually losing the will trying to get the mechanism to roll along the tracks and can't believe I'm the only one struggling with this. Any links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Are you sitting on the seat, as you "walk" it backwards/forwards? I find it a lot easier with my weight sat on it.
When you pull the leaver up, it will feel like you have come up against the stop, but there is a little extra few mm's required to disengage the mechanism.

I'll agree that it is more difficult than you think it should be and takes some getting used to.

Last edited:
I just pull it from the handle. I did struggle last week (first time) and had to sit on the seat and use my legs. Turns out I had caught a heavy 64litre really useful box from the boot and was dragging that along.

Handle is very strong.

Quite a few have this issue and I'd say it's mainly because they are not being "robust" enough with it.

- Sit on the seat.
- Pull the right hand lower handle all the way. It will stop about an inch before "all the way". Pull it harder. Your fingers will break before the handle.
- Then just walk, heave or pull the seat forward on the rails. Once you have pulled the lever fully it completely disengages the mechanism and is easy to move. At the first stop it will move, but not well as the ratchet is still semi engaged.
- Take it all the way forward - to the very end
- Drop the headrests
- Give the middle strap a good yank. Pull it fully out, again, until it pulls no more.
- Push the seat back until the back is fully down.
- Then pull the handle all the way again and push the seat back until the gap is closed.
- Job done.

Back